Discovery Pro 50% off thru January

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Discovery Pro 50% off thru January

Post by glowrak guy »

https://www.discodsp.com/discoverypro/

The linux version works well, 3 gui sizes, 5000+ presets,
integrates padsynth from zynaddsubfx, supports Sf2.
Has a built-in preset handler, and it's easy to modify a pad's
envelope/filter to make a new style sound, or the other way around,
export as.fxp, import as .fxp, and you can make new banks from your masterpieces.

About $88 golden denars, for a few more days.

It's a Nord Lead style synth, and loads Nord sysex files,
so there's lot's of fuel for the fire.
Cheers
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Discovery Pro 50% off thru January

Post by jonetsu »

Discovery Pro is like a distorted guitar as it does not try to stay clean. It's bold and can be gritty at will. The morph feature can make nice reserved sounds explode in thundering noises. Not the only synth to have, but one that's good to have and to reach to for those warm analog sounds.

The sounds by themseleves might not ne that much impressive but I found that there are two classes of synth sounds: one that does not sound so much by themseleves but blends in very nicely, and those who are absolutely impressive by themseleves and require much more work to blend in.

There's also a 1-hour Discovery Pro tutorial on Groove3. $10 gives 1 month access. If there are other tutorials of interest (u-he Bazille, Diva, Zebra, etc...) then it's a good deal.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

jonetsu wrote: I found that there are two classes of synth sounds: one that does not sound so much by themseleves but blends in very nicely, and those who are absolutely impressive by themseleves and require much more work to blend in.
Very true. I heard even the 90's had hit songs made partly with synths, romplers and rackmounts.
People still buy used after a couple decades worth of aging, because of how well they fit in a mix.
Discovery is fat with sounds, and it's easy to 'unfancy' a sound, to get something more focussed
and pristine, or with some skillz, put some magic on a plain sound. D-pro has a lot of both

The OB-Xd is a free Oberheim style synth that discoDSP are also working on, sounds different,
and also is quite excellent.
Cheers
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

glowrak guy wrote:The OB-Xd is a free Oberheim style synth that discoDSP are also working on, sounds different,
and also is quite excellent.Cheers
Absolutely. Quite amazing. A bit odd with the selection of patches that relies exclusively on the host (Bitwig in this case) but apart from that, very, very nice, warm sounds. Lots of fun exploring the sounds on this synth. If it wan't for DiscoDSP I would'nt have 'discoverd' this synth perhaps.

Speaking of DiscoDSP, the Odd One, Vertigo, is a different beast altogether. Not easy, to put it simply. Maybe one day I'll get into it. I've used it here and there for odd things, atmpospheres. I've asked George to do an updat with a sizeable GUI. A larger display would be more inviting to explore this synth.