Overtone PTH-2A on Beat Mag dvd

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Overtone PTH-2A on Beat Mag dvd

Post by glowrak guy »

I'm assuming this Beat Magazine version is not a linux version, but may be useful
for wine/airwave/festige users. I read that an earlier version was on a ComputerMusicMagazine dvd,
same as full version apart from adding the CM logo, so maybe this one is a full meal deal also.
Cheers
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Overtone PTH-2A on Beat Mag dvd

Post by sysrqer »

I don't know why these magazines don't support any linux plugins, they could offer a heap of demos or freeware deal stuff like this but they completely ignore the market, even when they are working directly with companies who offer linux products.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Probably just too much new stuff available each month,
that caters to their advertisers markets, and readership,
to allow for any niche. But it seems like every month,
there are at least six different large-format linux magazines
at Barnes & Noble. It would be nice if even one of them
did an annual linux audio roundup. I wonder if an editor were handed
a disc of articles and screenshots ready for colating,
if the print-pages could be spared? If not, it wouldn't
put a huge dent in 4/8 gig dvd as just a 'bonus content,
even with ample audio examples.

On the brite side, MOD is at NAMM. Mixbus, Bitwig
and Traction are soon to launch new versions, with
linux Reaper trailing the pack as a dark-horse.
Cup seems half full, and rising.
Cheers
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I don't know, I feel like most people who use linux know that there is stuff available. I was reading Computer Music and Future Music at least a decade before I had even heard of linux, although I do remember hearing about and seeing ardour somewhere and thinking it was just for mac. If I had heard that linux was a viable alternative all that time ago I maybe would have considered it much earlier. It seems to me that linux audio doesn't need promoting to linux users, it's the many non linux users who need educating, there are probably a lot of people who would join us if they weren't force fed the idea that windows and mac are the only options by these magazines.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

sysrqer wrote:I don't know why these magazines don't support any linux plugins, they could offer a heap of demos or freeware deal stuff like this but they completely ignore the market, even when they are working directly with companies who offer linux products.
The answer is simple: the editoral office is not interested in promotion of linux software. Probably because they don't have linux and never tried it.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

sadko4u wrote:The answer is simple: the editoral office is not interested in promotion of linux software. Probably because they don't have linux and never tried it.
This would be somewhat surprising if this is the German Beat magazine. When I used to live in Germany there were some three Linux magazines available monthly in supermarket magazine stands. Linux was (is still ?) popular.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

jonetsu wrote:This would be somewhat surprising if this is the German Beat magazine. When I used to live in Germany there were some three Linux magazines available monthly in supermarket magazine stands. Linux was (is still ?) popular.
We also have had Linux magazines (in printed version) in Russia. But most of other near-PC journals didn't event touch the Linux space.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

:roll: Sorry guys, your barking up the wrong tree.

Beat 03/17 offers u-he Beatzille for linux and the two other os, ubuntustudio and Bitwig 8-Track exclusiv for linux.
(and Virtualbox for them who don´t have linux).
It is overtondsp which don´t support linux.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

antiesen wrote::roll: Sorry guys, your barking up the wrong tree.Beat 03/17 offers u-he Beatzille for linux and the two other os, ubuntustudio and Bitwig 8-Track exclusiv for linux. (and Virtualbox for them who don´t have linux). It is overtondsp which don´t support linux.
I got Beatzille late last year from teh VST Planet link posted by glowrak.

I alos have all OvertoneDSP plugins, including the latest Pulltec midrange EQ which I got after 'Linux' was removed from the web site. Got the file, looked into it, there was a Linux version, tried it, works OK, got it.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

jonetsu wrote:
antiesen wrote::roll: Sorry guys, your barking up the wrong tree.Beat 03/17 offers u-he Beatzille for linux and the two other os, ubuntustudio and Bitwig 8-Track exclusiv for linux. (and Virtualbox for them who don´t have linux). It is overtondsp which don´t support linux.
I got Beatzille late last year from teh VST Planet link posted by glowrak.

I alos have all OvertoneDSP plugins, including the latest Pulltec midrange EQ which I got after 'Linux' was removed from the web site. Got the file, looked into it, there was a Linux version, tried it, works OK, got it.
Where are you guys getting these plugins from? Can someone post a link? I've searched the net with no success.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

jonetsu wrote:Got the file, looked into it, there was a Linux version, tried it, works OK, got it.
Yes I know, but unfortunately there are no linux files for PTH-2A (anymore).

@funkmuscle
beatzille is magware from u-he made for "beat" magazin.
Didn´t know that it can be downloaded.
overtonedsp - as you surley know - is payware.
The rest again ist magware - which is normaly only on the magazin DVD.
Great list for nearly every linux-vst:
http://linux-sound.org/linux-vst-plugins.html
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

funkmuscle wrote:Where are you guys getting these plugins from? Can someone post a link? I've searched the net with no success.
For the free u-he synths, look also into the 'lump of coal...' thread.

Basically you can get all Linux versions of u-he synths form the 1st msg (always updated) of the 'Linux public beta (4408)' thread on KVR, u-he forum:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 983c833ab1
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

antiesen wrote:Yes I know, but unfortunately there are no linux files for PTH-2A (anymore).
I wanted to get them all. Why not ? So I asked in August last year. That was the reply from OvertoneDSP:

Hi,

Unfortunately we don't have a linux version of the PTH-2A, there has
never been a linux release of that particular plugin, it was introduced
primarily as a cut-down / economy version of the PTC-2A Pultec EQ (in
the same way that the hardware EQH is a subset of the Pultec EQP-1A).
The PTC-2A provides all the features of the PTH-2A with the additional
LF, Mid and HF frequencies of the Pultec EQP-1A.
MarcoScherer

Post by MarcoScherer »

sysrqer wrote:I don't know why these magazines don't support any linux plugins, they could offer a heap of demos or freeware deal stuff like this but they completely ignore the market, even when they are working directly with companies who offer linux products.
At the moment Linux is quite popular, even in magazines. The Keys mag had a feature about Linux and the Beat mag covered Linux + Bitwig workshops for three issues now. So in my opinion the market isn't ignored. It's just not as big as Windows or OS X and thus only responds only to a few percent of readers who actually use Linux.

Same applies for Linux versions of plugins: As long we (Beat mag) get a Linux version of a plugin, we provide it to our readers. But not all developers do offer Linux versions. Mostly due to the fact that developing an extra version means extra work for only a few users, so most of them simply decide to concentrate on Win + OS X. In the end we talk about FREE software, so I think that's not a base to complain about developers because they don't put extra work in :wink:

But hey: Meanwhile there's so much stuff out for Linux... Bitwig, Beatzille, Reaper and numerous others. Definitely enough to make some decent productions :D
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

The recent poll at KVR Bitwig about OSes shows that Linux use is just a bit behind Mac, and not by that much.

It could mean, not by that poll but in general, that Linux will get noticed by plugin makers. But then, if Airwave is so good at enabling the use of Windows plugins (haven't tried it yet), why would companies spend the effort in making Linux versions ?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=481564