OvertoneDSP sale on Pultec bundle

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

OvertoneDSP sale on Pultec bundle

Post by jonetsu »

Even though OvertoneDSP has removed Linux from their advertising, the Linux binaries are still included. As such, OvertoneDSP is the only purveyor of vintage emulation for Linux. They have 25% off their Pultec bundle which consists of an emulation of the PTC-2A EQ and PTM-5A midrange EQ. As you may know, the Pultec EQs, the original hardware, is reknown in the audio world for the warmth they bring to the sounds. Universal Audio has emulations of these. I do not know how the OvertoneDSP compares to the UA but then, it is not as if there's a lot of choice in Linux.

I use the Pultecs 90% in Bitwig, sometimes in Mixbus 32C (Ardour).

They are not crash-free although Bitwig does a good job regarding this. I have noticed that when the plugins are crashing they will be crashing as long as the machine is not rebooted, be them running in Bitwig or Ardour. For me, some memory location that is always referred-to got corruputed by the GUI system of the plugins. Rebooting the machine clears the error.

It is a price I am willing to pay to be able to get those sounds. I use them primarily for guitars.

http://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: OvertoneDSP sale on Pultec bundle

Post by sysrqer »

I've never had any crashes with the PTC-2A but I can vouch for how good it sounds. It took me a while to see the value of it but it really can make a massive difference.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Yes, it's quite something. Combined with the PTM-5A midrange EQ they address that range where a guitar can be mostly active. Very useful for other sounds too. Real hardware is still quite expensive,though, but I gave in for what seemed like a reasonably priced tube compressor with pretty good reviews (it was taken on a tour of studios) :

http://artproaudio.com/compressors/product/pro_vla_ii/

http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/74/pro-vla-ii/

I use it for guitar recording and started using it on the master bus also. There is an impression of bandwidth, of breathing, that the unit can take a lot, and that's a different impression than with digital plugin devices.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

jonetsu wrote:Even though OvertoneDSP has removed Linux from their advertising...
That appears to have changed. The latest sidebar advert at KVR clearly indicates Linux support for the EQ update.

Best,

dp
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Yes, at KVR. But then recently KVR did not have a Linux logo for a Bitwig update. So KVR is KVR. I got the AF210/M update and there's no pinguin in sight at OvertoneDSP. But there were Linux binaries in the update.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi

I saw the sale but still have the previous PEQ-1/2A LV2's from linuxDSP so I only bought the PTM-5A which seems to work great in Ardour as an LXVST. I use the PEQ (now called the PTC) so much on Kick drums it's just pre-installed as part of my Ardour templates. A great pair of EQ's for sure!

A killer price for very authentic tube gear emulations..