Active projects?

This topic was created, as requested, for all Linux OS powered mobile devices other than Android.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

Active projects?

Post by khz »

Are there any active projects working on it?
If you want to post, please do so.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
folderol
Established Member

Re: Active projects?

Post by folderol »

Post as requested by khz
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

What kind of projects?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

lilith wrote: What kind of projects?
Linux Powered Mobile Devices

There was once (is there still?) Ubuntuphone. At the moment I only know Debian - Librem 5 Mobile.
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Linux Powered Mobile Devices.
Interesting way to phrase that. You know Android uses the Linux kernel right? I think you mean a mobile device running a GNU operating system, correct?
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Android is hardly Linux anymore. Possibly Android is a broken (Google) Linux. IMHO
Also listed separately. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... _Unix-like
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

The librem looks like the best option out there and will support HTML5 apps. A lot of apps on Android and iOS are hybrid apps built with phonegap, ionic, or pure cordova and can easily be recompiled as HTML5 apps so hopefully when it launches it won't take too long to have a decent supply of apps. It would be good if they spoke to the F-Droid guys about making a similar app store for Librem.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Very gladly.
I'm still a person who doesn't own a mobile, so this is all new territory for me.
I would find a good, free (as in freedom) (Linux) operating system very interesting. There are relatively many mobile operating systems.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Adding https://postmarketos.org/
postmarketOS (pmOS), is a touch-optimized, pre-configured Alpine Linux that can be installed on smartphones and other mobile devices. The project is at very early stages of development and is not usable for most people yet.
postmarketOS is developed in the spirit of regular Linux distributions, so there's no problem in having multiple phone interfaces and let the user choose. We have KDE's Plasma Mobile, LuneOS UI, Hildon, MATE, XFCE4 and i3wm packaged so far.

Furthermore postmarketOS will not impose arbitrary restrictions on you. Use the apps from any ecosystem you want (even desktop software). With Alpine's simple package format, you do not need more than a bit of Linux knowledge to package your favorite programs (assuming that they run on Linux already).
langoring_composer
Established Member

Post by langoring_composer »

I'm not ^yet^ active, but I met some folks who where throwing away STACKS of used ChromeBooks a few months ago. They were re-selling a lot of other computer parts and systems, yet for ChromeBooks and similar, they weren't budgeting any time to learn how to refurbish them.

It took me about 45 minutes of web browsing to find a huge set of archives about how to reset and refurbish ChromeBooks and similar devices back to usable factory settings, to unbrick them and to put some custom Linux OS stuff into them. It was encouraging.

And as embarrassing as this is, I bought a tablet. (I hate tablets!)
I didn't keep it for very long, though. I gave it to a guy who needed it more than me for free, since he was polite. Most people I was meeting back then were treacherous, so he made an impression on me that day just for being civil... and I wanted to ditch the tablet without fussing with the rude people at the store or long lines and long busrides, etc.

Yet(!)... I will probably buy another cheap such system of one type or another to see what the modern reality is for fighting against the latency wall on ChromeBooks and the like. If I can be a part of breaking the "sound barrier" on those, then it will be worth my while to collect thrown away used ChromeBooks, automate the process of turning them into DAWs, and sell them.

I mean if people are just going to put them into the trash bins and poison the water tables and landfills with heavy metal contamination instead of just giving them to students and kids and the needy, then I figure I can probably intervene and get some better results!

But it will be a while.
i'm just floored, however, because people who run a computer business really ought to know how to use "google" by now! (or whatever alternative search engines they prefer!)
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

langoring_composer wrote:I'm not ^yet^ active, but I met some folks who where throwing away STACKS of used ChromeBooks a few months ago. They were re-selling a lot of other computer parts and systems, yet for ChromeBooks and similar, they weren't budgeting any time to learn how to refurbish them.

It took me about 45 minutes of web browsing to find a huge set of archives about how to reset and refurbish ChromeBooks and similar devices back to usable factory settings, to unbrick them and to put some custom Linux OS stuff into them. It was encouraging.

I didn't keep it for very long, though. I gave it to a guy who needed it more than me for free, since he was polite. Most people I was meeting back then were treacherous, so he made an impression on me that day just for being civil... and I wanted to ditch the tablet without fussing with the rude people at the store or long lines and long busrides, etc.

Yet(!)... I will probably buy another cheap such system of one type or another to see what the modern reality is for fighting against the latency wall on ChromeBooks and the like. If I can be a part of breaking the "sound barrier" on those, then it will be worth my while to collect thrown away used ChromeBooks, automate the process of turning them into DAWs, and sell them.

I mean if people are just going to put them into the trash bins and poison the water tables and landfills with heavy metal contamination instead of just giving them to students and kids and the needy, then I figure I can probably intervene and get some better results!

But it will be a while.
i'm just floored, however, because people who run a computer business really ought to know how to use "google" by now! (or whatever alternative search engines they prefer!)
Protonzone, is that you?
langoring_composer
Established Member

Post by langoring_composer »

lilith wrote:
langoring_composer wrote:I'm not ^yet^ active, but I met some folks who where throwing away STACKS of used ChromeBooks a few months ago. They were re-selling a lot of other computer parts and systems, yet for ChromeBooks and similar, they weren't budgeting any time to learn how to refurbish them.

But it will be a while.
Protonzone, is that you?
:lol: yeah, that's me. my emails got stolen and i forgot most of my passwords. without both (and no cellphone authentication) i couldn't do anything much but start from scratch. Thanks for remembering me. There is no letter "n" in Protozone, however. It's a pun on "protozoan", the single-celled animals.

I lost a lot of stuff, pretty much everything. even the DAW i just got done rebuilding, got hacked to bits about 20 minutes after getting it set up. If I can't get a working system up and running in this hostile world, I'm going back to hardware. And if that doesn't work, may the gods have mercy on the malicious hackers' souls, because they are going to need all the extra help they can get in the afterlife. Sure, it's all bark and no bite, but really, do I have to bite? I can grow fangs if I have to, and yet I don't want to.

For the naysayers, I just checked; the Anarchist Cookbook is still available from multiple sources, including bookstores.

On the plus side, I've learned a bit more about several different configurations of linux which DO NOT WORK anymore!
And even though I lost all my downloads recently, I discovered a bunch of really impressive freeware VST synths.

So "if" I can get my system going, it's going to be sweet, and I've got TONs of musical ideas based upon all my recent months of loveless anguish and angst and intellectual confusion hanging out with "homegrown hybrid humint changelings" and the like. Sorry, I can't elaborate on that. I like my NDA-less status. But I really am probably going to do an album dedicated to the not-yet-disgruntled surviving benevolent members of some groups.

Having been abducted too many times, poisoned too many times, assaulted, and even interviewed by some strangers, I'm getting sick of the intrigue and have plenty of canned creative responses pending. It will all be legal and won't jeopardize anybody nor anything, but it's a high priority and dovetails with other projects of mine, including surviving.

I hope all is well with you.
Peace be with you.
Last edited by langoring_composer on Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Jesus Christ, what are you doing?? This sounds all so exciting. Are you a whistleblower or something? Abducted by Aliens?? :shock: :