phasing issues with CrocellKit

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

funkmuscle
Established Member

phasing issues with CrocellKit

Post by funkmuscle »

hey guys, I'm having an issue with phasing I think with CrocellKit's hi-hat. I can hear in in the overheads and the hi-hat tracks.
I messed with the polarity settings and nothing is fixing it.
The midi tracks came from MT PowerKit and the hats sounds fine using that plugin. I don't like the processed sound of the MT as it doesn't fit the song I'm using the beat for.
here is a sample:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tfw7Ut ... sp=sharing
Issue happens in Ardour, Mixbus, MusE and Qtractor.
deva
Established Member

Re: phasing issues with CrocellKit

Post by deva »

Can you say a bit more about how you mix the output channels?
Is the phasing coming from the, three OH channels or is it introduced by the hi-hat close-mic channel when mixed with the OHs?
The kit comes with three OH channels as opposed to the regular two, so maybe this could be an issue. What does it sound like if you simply mute the center OH channel and pan the other two to 100% left, 100% right respectively?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

deva wrote:Can you say a bit more about how you mix the output channels?
Is the phasing coming from the, three OH channels or is it introduced by the hi-hat close-mic channel when mixed with the OHs?
The kit comes with three OH channels as opposed to the regular two, so maybe this could be an issue. What does it sound like if you simply mute the center OH channel and pan the other two to 100% left, 100% right respectively?
Oh sorry Deva, it's coming from the overhead tracks which is the stereo and the one up the centre and also the hi-hat track.
I was hoping that it was only the high hat rack because that way I could have just use the overheads and I tried doing that and reversing the polarity and everything on just the stereo overhead and I have the phasing and then I tried the centre track on its own and still have the phasing.
I am wondering if the issue could be the bleed perimeter. I have that set between 17% to 21% depending on the song. I'm wondering if it will do that if I don't engage in the Bleeding section.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

Often the hihat is loud enough in the OH mics to simply mute the hihat mic entirely. Would this be an option for you?
Changing the bleed should not have any effect since the main channels for the hihat are the hihat mic as well as the OH mics, so that would only reduce the hihat in the toms, snare, etc but leave the OHs levels as they are.
You can however change the main attribute of the OH mics of the hihat instrument to leave it out of the OHs (or reduce it), that might also have an effect.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

deva wrote:Often the hihat is loud enough in the OH mics to simply mute the hihat mic entirely. Would this be an option for you?
Changing the bleed should not have any effect since the main channels for the hihat are the hihat mic as well as the OH mics, so that would only reduce the hihat in the toms, snare, etc but leave the OHs levels as they are.
You can however change the main attribute of the OH mics of the hihat instrument to leave it out of the OHs (or reduce it), that might also have an effect.
Yes I mentioned that earlier. I said that if it was not in the overhead tracks I would mute the high hat but it's all 3 tracks. It's in the overhead stereo, the overhead Center and on the hi-hat tracks.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

Now I'm confused. So if you solo the hihat track for example, can you sill hear phasing effect? Or does it appear the moment you have any two of the aforementioned tracks soloed together?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

deva wrote:Now I'm confused. So if you solo the hihat track for example, can you sill hear phasing effect? Or does it appear the moment you have any two of the aforementioned tracks soloed together?
Yes soloing the OH, Center or hi hat tracks the phasing is there. I will try Reaper .
Never had this issue before. Even on this song. I had to fix part of the beat so I just decided to re-record the drums in Ardour and this started.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

Can you upload the midi file which you used as input?
Perhaps there are multiple notes layered on top of each other? This might result in what you are hearing.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

deva wrote:Can you upload the midi file which you used as input?
Perhaps there are multiple notes layered on top of each other? This might result in what you are hearing.
Ok I will. I'm away till Monday so I'll do it when I get home.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I think the problem was latency issue. I did some adjustments with Jack and now it seems to be working fine and no matter what software Studio I use. The only weird thing about that is that's the settings I've always used.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

Wierd. But great that you have solved the issue. :-)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

deva wrote:Wierd. But great that you have solved the issue. :-)
Yes I think it's really strange but I did test it. I went back to my old settings and the phasing noise was there and then with the new setting it's gone.