Normalized Samples

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA, deva, muldjord

w_line
Established Member

Normalized Samples

Postby w_line » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:43 pm

So I have been experimenting with building a kit from the Analogue Drums "The Boxer" kit. It is designed for Kontakt - and uses 1-6 velocity groups per instrument with 6 repeat hits/round robins per velocity layer. The new sample selection features in DG version 0.9.17 enable stepping through the round robins. Getting past that hurdle landed me at another. All the samples are normalized. After looking into it, it seems that Kontakt can set the playback volume of each hit based on the velocity.

As far as I know this is not a feature currently implemented in DrumGizmo - correct?

Want to mention that I know I am using both the samples and DG in ways that they weren't intended. I can happily use the available DG kits - and am not dead-set on forcing this Kontakt kit to work, just experimenting. I DO think it could be cool to get a bunch of community mappings for commercial kits built - even if they do miss out on some of the aspects that make kits built specifically for DG awesome/hardcore/intimidating.

Anyway, assuming that handling normalized samples isn't already a DG feature - couple questions...

Is it something that may potentially be added as a feature? Definitely understand if that is not a route that developers want to go.

Is there some clever way that others would handle this? Manually de-normalizing the wavs doesn't seem like it would be very effective - since the normalization really just seems like an artifact of the choice to use few velocity groups with round-robins. If the velocity groups were de-normalized you would have a pretty big jump in volume baked in from group to group.

Perhaps some clever DAW automation to have the MIDI velocity value for hits on a given MIDI note set the volume of the bus/channel for that particular DG instrument?

Maybe I just stop trying to shove a square peg in a round hole? :wink:

deva
Established Member

Re: Normalized Samples

Postby deva » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:55 am

Setting volume modifier based on velocity could relatively easily be introduced as a feature.
I'll add it to the backlog and we can discuss how we could implement it when we get to it :-)

chaot4
Established Member

Postby chaot4 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:40 pm

I agree with deva and just quickly want to write down my thoughts for them to be available when we again think about this.

It seems like the simplest way to add this to DG would be to have some "normalized=true/false" value in the XML of the drumkit. The current kits would of course be "normalized=false". If "normalized=true", then when playing a sample in the engine we would check its actual power value and then multiply the sample values according to that.

I guess that this is also what you had in mind, deva? This indeed would be quite simple to implement, and it wouldn't hurt DG at all to have this. It's just the question of urgency which is debatable I'd say.

w_line
Established Member

Postby w_line » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:23 am

Awesome!
Thanks for the replies and considering adding a feature to support kits using normalized samples! Ya'll are awesome.

Return to “Support / Suggestions”