How to start with DrumGizmo

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

BearByte

How to start with DrumGizmo

Post by BearByte »

Hello there!
I'm submit this support request here, because I've spent hours tried to do what is explained in the link below but I still get no sound in ardour 5 using drumgizmo (system is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS + xfce4 ; Cadence to manage jack, jack sink module installed, ardour 5, latest drumgizmo version, Crocekill set)
but still get no sounds in ardour, and I was unable to play along and record my drum part (using a roland TD-4 and Scarlett 2i4).

https://libremusicproduction.com/tutori ... zmo-ardour (also watched the youtube video many times)

It's a very good walkthrough but it takes for granted a lot of aspect that a newbie (like me) in general do not understand and do not even know if he/she don't understand (so if It's needed to adapt the tutorial to your system you do not know when or in which part)

In the past I've used Addictive Drums on Windows with Reaper (it works but I don't like the ecosystem).
Now I'm in a LUG and I would like to promote music production with FOSS software only, so It would be awesome if I can prepare some talk about Drumgizmo and Ardour 5 using, for example, Ubuntu 18.04 or Ubuntu Studio 18.04. I've listened to some Drumgizmo samples and I've fall in love, but cannot make it work! :-(

To be honest I found Ardour 5 "a strange beast" expecially the way it manages the tracks/bus connections (where I'm probably doing something wrong, who knows ...; I mean the routing grid / patchbay IN and OUT).

I don't think that I had to do a super complex thing (I expect a really straight forward workflow, to be honest ...) So really do not understand what is going wrong ..

Have you got some suggestions / "better" walkthrough ? I also tried Qtractor, but I did not found a way to load the plugin.
(Audacity works fine to me, but it cannot manage drumgizmo plugin afaik)

Many thanks in advace!
Musicteacher
Established Member

Re: How to start with DrumGizmo

Post by Musicteacher »

Hi, have you read some starting advice about jack and linux audio in general?

I tried Drumgizmo once in QTractor. The steps were:
- create a midi track
- open plugins tab
- add drumgizmo plugin
- activate drumgizmo plugin
- load drumset
- load midi map

This works fine.

As I don't use ardour, I can only give general hints on troubleshooting:
- does anything play at all? Like an imported wave file?
- do other plugins play (like fluidsynth, for start)

If Ardour troubles you, you can first try the drumgizmo standalone app.

A very easy to use drum-plugin is the black pearl. You could try that at first (also, in the gui, you can click on the toms and try if it works, this makes troubleshooting easier). If you get that to work, you can try Drumgizmo next.

Good luck!
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Musicteacher wrote:A very easy to use drum-plugin is the black pearl. You could try that at first (also, in the gui, you can click on the toms and try if it works, this makes troubleshooting easier). If you get that to work, you can try Drumgizmo next.
"Black Pearl" refers to tha AVL drumkits LV2 plugin, which you can find here: http://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-avldrums

There is a great demo video on the page linked above. It works like a charm on my system.
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

Hi BearByte,

can you specify which parts are working and which aren't? Do you get any sound out of Ardour? If not then maybe it uses the wrong sound card. If yes, then adding a MIDI track with DrumGizmo and choosing the drumkit in the DrumGizmo plugin window should give you sound. If not, then the connections are probably wrong and you could show us those, such that we can check.

As already mentioned, to just get some setup with Ardour working, you could start with AVL drumkits.

Also, if you use an e-drum kit as input, then probably you have to adapt the MIDI notes. We want to make this easier by adding MIDI learn, but I am not sure when this feature will be done.
ivoaudio
Established Member

Post by ivoaudio »

Hi, BearByte,

I use Ardour and Drumgizmo in Ubuntu Studio. It works and plays imported drum MIDI files. I can edit the sequences, which were recorded to Logic using a Kat drum kit in my guitarist's home studio.

Unfortunately I could not hook a MIDI drum kit to my computers, so I am not able to tell you exactly how to play along and record the drum kit.

I hope to help you if you ask me for something else more specific.