DrumGizmo 0.9.16 Released!

DrumGizmo development and support forum.
http://drumgizmo.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, Glocke, deva

AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.16 Released!

Post by AlexTheBassist »

deva wrote:I just tried some experiments myself at 128 sample buffer size and my CPU usage is quite high as well...
This means your JACK server is configured improperly. On my CPU, an empty Ardour project takes up not more than 5-6% of CPU. As I know from DrumGizmo IRC talks, your PC is much more powerful than mine.
deva wrote:I tried setting up a session with DrumGizmo, note the CPU usage and then remove the plugin from the project and observered the CPU usage dropping only marginally
This one means that DrumGizmo works well on your machine. Before 0.9.15, I never have had such performance problems, only those related to resampler, which were fixed a long ago. Do you have any idea on how to trace the problem? I tried to launch it in Carla to make sure Ardour doesn't interfere, but got a crash when tried to load a drumkit XML.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
JBandi
Established Member

Post by JBandi »

Anyone else tested this on a machine with 8GB of RAM?

1. Open up a DAW (in my case it's Ardour, but it probably doesn't matter)
2. Add DG and select the Crocellkit/Default set
3. Set the memory limit to a value other than unlimited and hit Apply
4. Save the project and quit
5. Restart DAW and load the project you just saved to disk.
6. If you can (if!) open DG to see the memory limit is somehow become "Unlimited" and say goodbye to this session because at that moment the RAM got full, the swap is not enough, and the computer freezes.

Turned out the same happens with the Crocell/Small kit. Haven't tried the tiny so far.

So, why is that? I mean, if you load DG Crocell/Default, you CAN edit your music for like hours with no memory issues at all, but save it, reopen it, and boom, it goes away, especially if you have a lot of other tracks and plugins.

My guess... The memory limit value is not saved anywhere, or it is automatically set to unlimited if you're using a large drumkit.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

JBandi wrote: 3. Set the memory limit to a value other than unlimited and hit Apply
Does this also happen if you set the value <2GB?
JBandi
Established Member

Post by JBandi »

deva wrote:Does this also happen if you set the value <2GB?
This did the trick, I've set it to 1.9 GB, after saving and reopening the session it says 1.664 MB, so I leave it as it is. Thanks, deva! :)
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

JBandi wrote:
deva wrote:Does this also happen if you set the value <2GB?
This did the trick, I've set it to 1.9 GB, after saving and reopening the session it says 1.664 MB, so I leave it as it is. Thanks, deva! :)
Capital! :-D

It is a known bug in 0.9.16 which has already been fixed in git. The fix will be part of the next release (which still doesn't have a release date) and will make it possible to use the full "spectrum".