DrumGizmo version 0.9.13 now available!

DrumGizmo development and support forum.
http://drumgizmo.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, Glocke, deva

deva
Established Member

DrumGizmo version 0.9.13 now available!

Post by deva »

Get it at http://www.drumgizmo.org/

DrumGizmo is an open source, multichannel, multilayered, cross-platform drum plugin and stand-alone application. It enables you to compose drums in midi and mix them with a multichannel approach. It is comparable to that of mixing a real drumkit that has been recorded with a multimic setup.

Included in this release is:
* Diskstreaming support, so you no longer need huge amounts of memory
to run it, even with the big drumkits.
* A completely new and redesigned plugin UI.
* And for the hardcore FreeBSD users: OSS support!

We know a lot of you have been waiting for diskstreaming to be implemented, so please help us out by giving it a thorough test. We're interested in hearing about your experiences with it, especially on low memory setups with slower HDD's. Any comments and / or bug reports can be directed to us on IRC, Freenode, #drumgizmo. Or feel free to ask at the official DrumGizmo forum[1].

For the full list of changes, check the roadmap for 0.9.13 [2].

And now, without further ado, go grab 0.9.13!!! [3].

Important note to package maintainers:
Since version 0.9.11 we copy vst source files into the build tree while building the vst plugin. This mean that should you wish to make a tar-ball available with the build directory after the build has finished this must either be stripped of said files or not be made public.

[1] viewforum.php?f=55
[2] http://www.drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php? ... rsion_0913
[3] http://www.drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php? ... _drumgizmo
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: DrumGizmo version 0.9.13 now available!

Post by funkmuscle »

updating as we speak.. can't wait to try. Thanx DG gang
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

hey Deva, I didn't have that much time to really test it but in the past, running DG created lots of xruns and disk streaming skips when record to wave. The song I just tested, I was getting the xruns.. adjusted the cache to increase the limit and xuns are gone.. I'll try recording the kit later to see if I get the disk streaming skips
KoldoRivas
Established Member

Post by KoldoRivas »

Testing at my main PC (i5/32GB Ram / Windows)... Aasimonster has loaded really quick. This week I would try with AvLinux at studio (AMDx8 / 8GB) and laptop (i5 / 4GB)
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

Hey :)
funkmuscle wrote:hey Deva, I didn't have that much time to really test it but in the past, running DG created lots of xruns and disk streaming skips when record to wave.
Thanks for testing!

Do you use the plugin GUI or the CLI? Can you please post a detailed description of how to reproduce this (which drumkit, which jack settings, which CLI parameters / GUI settings, ...)? Then we try to reproduce this. You can also open a new thread if that's better suited for this issue.
KoldoRivas wrote:Testing at my main PC (i5/32GB Ram / Windows)... Aasimonster has loaded really quick. This week I would try with AvLinux at studio (AMDx8 / 8GB) and laptop (i5 / 4GB)
Awesome, thanks! Tell us the outcome then.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Code: Select all

drskit2, GUI. cache limit set to 1440MB, Jack /usr/bin/jackd -P89 -dalsa -r48000 -p256 -n2 -D -Chw:USB -Phw:USB
is this enough info?
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

funkmuscle wrote:is this enough info?
Almost -- just one more question: What exactly did you mean with "record to wave"? Exporting a song in Ardour or routing the DG output to an audio track and recording it there?

Okay, just one more: Is your disk a HDD or SSD?

Thanks for providing the information!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

chaot4 wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:is this enough info?
Almost -- just one more question: What exactly did you mean with "record to wave"? Exporting a song in Ardour or routing the DG output to an audio track and recording it there?

Okay, just one more: Is your disk a HDD or SSD?

Thanks for providing the information!
Of sorry,, disk is SSD and yes, DG to audio track recording.
EDIT: AMD quad. 8GB RAM desktop. Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen.
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

We already fixed some issues that arose with the new release and those fixes will of course be in 0.9.14 which we want to release very soon. So you should certainly check (and best report) if it improved for you.

In your case I think that you might just use jack settings which are too low for your hardware (USB soundcard) combined with diskstreaming. You have to be aware that diskstreaming make it necessary to fetch samples from your disk which again introduces latency (the data isn't there instantly) and also needs additional CPU time to trigger and process the loading of the samples from the disk. So, if you already use jack settings which are on the border of what is possible with your hardware (I used similar settings with my USB interface), then it seems probable that diskstreaming introduces xruns.
sekret
Established Member

Post by sekret »

Thanks a lot guys! The diskstreaming is a big plus for me, because I only have about 3.2GB of RAM because of my quite old laptop. No money for a newer one... Now I can finally use the complete MuldjordKit2 8)
KoldoRivas
Established Member

Post by KoldoRivas »

When bouncing drumgizmo 0.9.13 16-channels to ardour tracks I´m having some asyncronicity from some parts of the kit. I´m using windows WASAPI temporaly, so it may be a problem related with this, nothing relevant.

Diskstreaming is looking really great
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

KoldoRivas wrote:When bouncing drumgizmo 0.9.13 16-channels to ardour tracks I´m having some asyncronicity from some parts of the kit. I´m using windows WASAPI temporaly, so it may be a problem related with this, nothing relevant.
If you still find out that it's DrumGizmo which is causing this issue, it would be great if you notify us. :)