The new Raspberry PI 3B+ audio-related review

Discussion of all things Raspberry Pi / Raspberry Pi 2 related

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CrocoDuck
Established Member

The new Raspberry PI 3B+ audio-related review

Post by CrocoDuck »

Hi guys, I found this while reading about the PI on the web. I though It could be interesting for some of us, so:

https://volumio.org/raspberry-pi-3-b-plus-audio-review/
English Guy
Established Member

Re: The new Raspberry PI 3B+ audio-related review

Post by English Guy »

Very interested, just a shame they have not upgraded the on board sound, even to 16 bit.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Well... I got my Pi too. I guess I will start play with it. Maybe at some point in the future I could give one of these a spin: https://raspi.tv/2016/dac-review
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

I have a 3B+. I use it as a pulseaudio server to a usb interface. Currently the steinberg (yamaha) ur22mkII. It's a pulse over jackd setup. Unfortunately it's still not fast enough to do the calf 30 band eq plugin. It'll kind of do the 20 band one, but it gets unstable-ish in less than a day. I just leave it with pulse over jack with jack_mixer in the middle, since the ur22mkII doesn't have any software mixer levels.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Shadow_7 wrote:Unfortunately it's still not fast enough to do the calf 30 band eq plugin. It'll kind of do the 20 band one, but it gets unstable-ish in less than a day.
It would be interesting to try to create Faust plugins and see how they work. I think Faust is able to compile plugins and standalones on the Pi. Could be also cool to have the Faust compiler try to figure out the compilation parameters for maximal performance.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

CrocoDuck wrote:
Shadow_7 wrote:Unfortunately it's still not fast enough to do the calf 30 band eq plugin. It'll kind of do the 20 band one, but it gets unstable-ish in less than a day.
It would be interesting to try to create Faust plugins and see how they work. I think Faust is able to compile plugins and standalones on the Pi. Could be also cool to have the Faust compiler try to figure out the compilation parameters for maximal performance.
There are interesting technologies supported on board: NEON instruction set, EDSP instruction set, VFPv4 instruction set. These can give a high performance boost but require some assembly coding.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

It seems that the june update makes jackdbus less stable. It's hanging pretty consistently on an hourly basis. It was pretty stable back in april, but I applied updates in july. Doing a fresh install didn't fix that quirk. It's really quite annoying, especially since I've put the audio portion on it's own subnet with a router/switch to maximize potential. Plus making it more meaningful to monitor the internet side of things less the consistent audio traffic. It hangs faster when doing multiple audio sources or lots of short clips like music videos. With boring podcasts, it lasts about an hour to the minute before I need to restart the audio system. Probably time to try arch or another option on the 3B+, but it has "special" things to be bootable, relative to the other pi's.