Discussion of all things Raspberry Pi / Raspberry Pi 2 related

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Thoughtscape

Re: Raspberry Pi and music production

Post by Thoughtscape »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:
I'll try building eDrummer for the Rpi
English Guy,

Are you using hydrogen to load a kit that you play via pads? Or is hydrogen itself playing the (sequenced) beats? If the former, then eDrummer already is designed for that. Phil was having the same problems as you. He was trying various linux programs for live drum triggering and he just couldn't get the latency low enough. (But note Phil is very fussy. He actually has a measuring setup he uses to test latency down to microseconds. He's obsessive... and I love that. He went from 9 ms latency with a jack app down to 2 ms latency with edrummer playing the same kit on the same hardware. He's happy). If you're interested let me know, and I can work with you to get a setup tuned to your system. But I don't have a pii, so you either need to compile source on your pii, or have someone willing to do it (maybe auto).

edrummer is based on my gig software of a drumbox, which plays various drum patterns programmed into it. I've gigged with it about 4x a week for the past 4 years. (My Windows version 3 years -- Linux version 1). If you use hydrogen to play sequenced beats, then you may want to become the first beta tester for "eRhythm", a varient on drumbox that loads a MIDI file of a drumbeat and plays it back on a sampled kit like eDrummer. I anticipate something available within a week from someone serious about beta testing.

Let me know if you're interested.

Apologies for coming in late to this post but I'm am looking to create an electronic drum kit that I sit at and play myself. Once I get that sorted I would like to create a sampler [the box that changes the 'notes' on each pad that I hit]. I am very new to rPi and no experience with Arduino and not knowing where to start I am just chasing some pointers to create this: http://www.jbhifi.com.au/musical-instru ... sku-99893/

Ambitious much? lol But that's the general idea. Basically I want to be able to sit at a set of drums and play and have the sound routed to my headphones. If you make the actual pads themselves with piezo pressure sensors [http://arduinodrumkit.wordpress.com/201 ... drum-pads/] and set them all up as if they were an actual drumkit what logistical issues would I expect to encounter?

Eventually I'd like to also be able to change the 'sound samples' on each pad to whatever I feel like at the time and maybe even set up variety of customisable presets - for example change them all to bongo drums of differing pitches. Or even better, metal drums. Does anyone know of any software [preferably open source and thus free] out there that will run on a rPi with such a configuration? I don't really care what distro I use as I haven't installed an OS yet.

Looking for any and all points as I am in pure research mode but am having trouble knowing where to start,

Cheers,

Mick
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

There's a phone app where the touch screen is a drumset and you finger drum. I have no ideal what it is, but the drummer in a band I play in uses it for rehearsals and brings out the set for gigs.

If you could convert microphone events into midi events your could route them with qmidiroute to soft synths like fluidsynth or timidity. Which would handle what sounds get triggered by events. I don't know if anything already exists for that. But I've thought about something like that to lay down drum tracks finger drum style on a table. Maybe chuck has that functionality.
StephDAVOS
Established Member

Post by StephDAVOS »

AutoStatic wrote:Someone in the same boat as me: http://ampbrownie.com/
Hi Jeremy, I see you helped Adam with Amp Brownie. Do you actually use it yourself ? I'm having a hard time saving/loading presets. Have you heard of anything like a support forum somehere ? Thanks !
Last edited by StephDAVOS on Sun May 04, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

StephDAVOS wrote:Hi Jeremy, I see you actually helped Adam with Amp Brownie. Do you actually use it yourself ?
No.
StephDAVOS wrote:I'm having a hard time saving/loading presets. Have you heard of anything like a support forum somehere ? Thanks !
Open a new thread here or on the guitarix forum, I'm sure I or other guitarix users could help out.
StephDAVOS
Established Member

Post by StephDAVOS »

AutoStatic wrote:Open a new thread here or on the guitarix forum, I'm sure I or other guitarix users could help out.
Alright thanks. I do that.
lionnet
Established Member

Post by lionnet »

With this link http://rpi.autostatic.com/ AutoStatic did fix for it or not? When i run full duflex and i don't play or record in 5 minute , it appear xrun and hang out my odroid u3. After that the reason from the cpu so I googling to find out solution, Google say I must install jackfreqd from this link http://rg42.org/oss/jackfreqd/start#usage. But i not success to install jackfreqd, it can not load cpufreq and connect as a jack client. Please help me other solutions to resolve xrun from my hardware odroid u3. Thanks anyway AutoStatic.
midix

Post by midix »

Hi all.

Just curious, what's the current status of MIDI synth on RPi?

I have Creative E-mu XBoard 49 MIDI USB keyboard which is collecting dust in my room. Recently my cousin (girl, 18) said that she would like to learn to play piano. I know that she's serious about that because she already have learned to play her sister's guitar. I thought that I could lend her my XBoard. But their family have only one computer for them all (4 people), thus she won't have much time to use the XBoard with the computer.

So now I have an idea that I could lend her also my Raspberry if only it could be used as a monitorless synthesizer. I mean - after I configure it once, it should just work immediately each time upon boot and also it should be safe to shut down without unmounting SD card.

I think, she doesn't need anything fancy - no sequencing or effects, just a MIDI synth capable of loading some General MIDI compatible sound bank and playing it with 5 (maybe even 3 would suffice) voice polyphony through USB connected XBoard.

Is Raspberry capable of doing that? And is there any distribution and software which could be installed and configured with as little effort as possible?
midix

Post by midix »

Finally I have a working solution with Timidity. I've posted it on Raspberry forums:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 38&t=89102
Musicmaker
Established Member

Post by Musicmaker »

I am rediting this post since there was no reply, Perhaps my problem is not quite well understood.

Followed the steps to compile Jack2 on an x64 system with Ubuntu 14.04. I could not get this buit . It exits here:

Code: Select all

dh_perl -pjackd2 
dh_shlibdeps -pjackd2    
[b]dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 (used by debian/jackd2/usr/bin/alsa_in)[/b]
I do have the so though:

user@HOME3:/media/user/H3D2P2/Tools/test/jackd2-1.9.9.5+20130622git7de15e7a$ ls /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 10月 13 23:24 /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 -> libasound.so.2.0.0
Shouldn't this be ARMv6 version of libasound?

OR am I this totally reading wrong and are these steps supposed to be done on the RPI. if So, which OS? have an RPI with Arch Linux running and packages only can be installed with pacman.
Is there a possibility to cross compile jack librarier for ARMV6 and ARMV7 based platforms. I did succsssfully recompile ALSA libs for ARMv6 arch with usingarm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ and then ompile/link and ASAL based applicatin with arm-bcm2708-linux-gnueabi-g++
azihsan

Post by azihsan »

Hello

I wanna ask about my midi controller that doesnt work in my rpi.
I got korg nanokey2 to use in my rpi and the system connect with jack. when i saw

jack_lsp
my midi didnt recognize jack, but alsa did.
so what should i do?
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi , i have a rpi3 with raspbian stretch but autostatic repository don't work :roll: Please a update o upgrade repository and best regards :wink:

Gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)