Newbie with hydrogen, midi gate and a few more questions.

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

eddie3000
Established Member

Newbie with hydrogen, midi gate and a few more questions.

Post by eddie3000 »

Hello and Happy New Year!!!

I've been messing with hydrogen lately because Father Christmas brought me an Akai mpd218 :D :D But I have a few questions, hoping someone might be able to help.

One problem is this device suffers from double triggers and involuntary low velocity note triggering. Not much one can do about this, and in spite of all the solutions I found online, none of them are 100% effective. A solution akai suggests for ableton live is to use a filter midi gate to filter out these low velocity notes. Does Hydrogen have this possibility?

When one note is played with a high velocity, immediately followed by a low velocity note you can clearly hear the first sample get cut very abruptly. This occurs with all the drumsets I have downloaded for hydrogen. Is there a way to leave the first sample carry on until the end? Or fade out gradually?

When one plays the hihat, the open hihat is normally cut when you play the closed hihat. This is normal behaviour on all drum sets I have used in my life, even twenty years ago. Is it possible to cut the open Hihat from sounding when the closed hihat is played in hydrogen?

And lastly, can hydrogen send feedback to a midi controller to control the devices lights?

I hope these are not too many questions to start off with, but I've been looking around for a while and have no solutions yet.

Thank you very much.
eddie3000
Established Member

Re: Newbie with hydrogen, midi gate and a few more questions.

Post by eddie3000 »

No answers? :( Anybody? Not even to say there are no answers to my questions? :(
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

eddie3000 wrote:No answers? :( Anybody? Not even to say there are no answers to my questions? :(
You can filter the MIDI note-ons for example with "MIDI Velocity-Range Filter" from the midifilter-plugins contained in the x42-plugins package. You need a plugin host for the plugin, e.g. Carla. So you have to connect your MPC'sMIDI to Carla's MIDI in and Carla's MIDI out to Hydrogen.

I couldn't hear any cut sound effects when playing cymbals but in standard settings a note-off will be honored. That cuts a sound off. Set "Ignore Note-off" in settings/midi and click "OK".

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

eddie3000
Established Member

Post by eddie3000 »

Thank you for your reply.

So I need to use an external plugin to filter midi. That is OK. I'll give it a try.

About the audio getting cut... I already do have the "Ignore note off" option selected. I'll try to describe my problem a bit better. A cymbal sound for example lasts for many seconds. If I play a cymbal with a velocity of 127, and immediately after that I play the same cymbal with a velocity of 1, the first cymbal sound gets cut abruptly. In real life you would still hear the first cymbal note played, and in all other synths I've used the same happens. I don't know if hydrogen can be set to let all samples play until the end even if they are re-triggered multiple times.

Anyhow, Hydrogen is a great piece of software.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

eddie3000 wrote:Thank you for your reply.

So I need to use an external plugin to filter midi. That is OK. I'll give it a try.

About the audio getting cut... I already do have the "Ignore note off" option selected. I'll try to describe my problem a bit better. A cymbal sound for example lasts for many seconds. If I play a cymbal with a velocity of 127, and immediately after that I play the same cymbal with a velocity of 1, the first cymbal sound gets cut abruptly. In real life you would still hear the first cymbal note played, and in all other synths I've used the same happens. I don't know if hydrogen can be set to let all samples play until the end even if they are re-triggered multiple times.

Anyhow, Hydrogen is a great piece of software.
Not here. I use Qtractor to trigger the Hydrogen cymbal.
hydrogentest.mp3
(126 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
1st bar: both strokes have a velocity of 100
2nd bar: 2nd stroke has a velocity of 50
3rd bar: 2nd stroke has a velocity of 0

In all cases the sound of the first stroke doesn't get cut.

EDIT: Maybe the drumset you use has a problem with mute groups? It's common to put the different hihat sounds in a mute group. Maybe something went wrong with the drumset/soundfont you use.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/