Linux sampler VST

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

d.healey
Established Member

Linux sampler VST

Post by d.healey »

Could someone tell me how to get Linux Sampler running as a VSTi in Reaper? I'm on Linux Mint 19.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Linux sampler VST

Post by Michael Willis »

I haven't used Reaper, but I have used LinuxSampler with other DAWs. It's not exactly straightforward. You have to add the plugin to your DAW, and then run a separate app to configure the plugin, either QSampler or JSampler Fantasia will do. You can set up multiple instruments in a single LinuxSampler instance, configure them to respond to different midi channels, and to send stereo sound to your choice of multiple audio outputs.

Are you running the Linux native version of Reaper, or the windows version running in Wine?
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

I run the native version. That explains why I couldn't find any clear instructions on this anywhere else, I don't think that kind of setup would fit my workflow unfortunately
David Healey
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

I posted this on another forum.

I decided to try LinuxSampler and this is how I got it up and running in a basic way.

This can be confusing if the right order isn't followed and might result in no connection errors etc and getting lost in the documentation might be easy or finding documentation about the linuxsampler vst might not be that easy.

Get linuxsampler-vst_1.0.0+svn2593-1kxstudio3_amd64.deb from https://answers.launchpad.net/~kxstudio ... hive-extra

The actual vst .so file can just be found by extracting the package and then extracting the data.tar.gz file or just use dpkg to install and then the vst .so file goes to /usr/lib/vst I think.

Install linuxsampler for your distro from the LinuxSampler site.

Install Qsampler for your distro.

Start Reaper and load the linuxsampler vst and it will just sit there with no gui.

Start Qsampler and then add a channel and then set it up for sfz and load a sfz file (I used some sfz files from https://freepats.zenvoid.org/Piano/acou ... piano.html).

I had to choose MIDI all channels to get sound output with a midi track in Reaper.

Qsampler comes up in plugin mode rather than Alsa or Jack mode when the linuxsampler vst is started before Qsampler otherwise Qsampler just comes up in Alsa or Jack mode and the linuxsampler vst won't connect.

Quit Qsampler before unloading the linuxsampler vst or quiting Reaper.

After all of that it works very well for sfz files.

The details are at http://libremusicproduction.com/tutoria ... m-together
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmM6MC2 ... e=youtu.be

From what I can make out, in the video he is creating a master track that controls things and he calls it LS.

He loads the linuxsampler vst only onto the LS track.

Midi gets done on the other newly created tracks ie midi1, midi2 etc.
Don't do anything midi on the LS track, just leave it as it it is because it's just a controller.

Then he creates some more tracks and routes them to the LS track.

ie

Create a new track (midi1) and then using it's route option, choose "Add new send" and route it to LS and select the Midi All > 1

Create a new track (midi2) and then using it's route option, choose "Add new send" and route it to LS and select the Midi All > 2

etc etc

Qsampler has sampler Channels (the sampler channels that get added from Qsampler add channel menu option) and also Midi/Input channels for each sampler Channel (pretty confusing).

In Qsampler or Fantasia, load the sfz into the sampler Channel 0

Add a new channel (Channel 1) and load another sfz into the sampler Channel 1

The Qsampler Midi/Input option should be channel 1 for the sampler Channel 0.

The Qsampler Midi/Input option should be channel 2 for the sampler Channel 1.

etc etc

Usually the Midi/Input option is already like this by default when a new sampler Channel is added.

It all means that the midi1 track gets sent via the LS controller track to the sampler Channel0 Midi/Input channel 1

and that the midi2 track gets sent via the LS controller track to the sampler Channel1 Midi/Input channel 2

etc etc

and the midi1 and midi2 tracks go to their respective (Qsampler/linuxsampler) sfz files via the above routing.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

If effects etc are wanted on individual midi tracks (say the midi1 and midi2 tracks above) then

add some tracks say ch1 and ch2 etc

Enable the 3 and 4 outs in the LS track's linuxsampler vst's Plug-in pin connection

hit the LS track route option

add new send to ch1

Audio 1/2 to Audio 1/2 Midi None

add new send to ch2

Audio 3/4 to Audio 1/2 Midi None

Change Qsamplers sampler Channel1 Audio/Output Device channel to 3 and 4 (from 1 and 2).

For more tracks it's the same thing repeated with 5/6, 6/7 etc and enable the corresponding more outs in the LS track's linuxsampler vst's Plug-in pin connection etc etc

Basically it connects the Qsampler/linuxsampler sampler Channel0 and Channel1 audio into the ch1 (Audio 1/2) and ch2 (Audio 3/4) tracks which can then have audio effects put on them.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

This is how I've set it up, it seems to work ok but maybe there are better ways to do it, it's only a quick experiment to try some possible things out.

The first track LS is the controller track (the linuxsampler vst connects to Qsampler/linuxsampler for sending and receiving) that has the linuxsampler vst loaded on it.

I've got 2 midi tracks, midi1 and midi2.

midi1 is going to Qsampler's Kawai piano sfz, Qsampler's sample Channel0.

midi2 is going to Qsampler's AVLinux drumkit Red Zeppilin sfz, Qsampler's sample Channel1.

The audio out from Qsampler's Channel0 and Channel1 is being sent to the ch1 and ch2 audio tracks and audio effects can then be put on them such as reverb on the piano's ch1 audio track and/or the drums ch2 audio track etc.

ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Some useful things for LinuxSampler and SFZero https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1UG6naZ1HQ

Separating midi notes to midi tracks, useful for putting effects on individual drums etc etc.

Using the Reaper Action "Explode MIDI note rows (pitch) to new items".

Then do as above, sync the individual midi drum tracks to Qsampler sampler Channels and the routed audio (ie ch1 ch2 as above) and put audio effects on each drum/cymbal.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

While I'm at it,

EZDrummer etc can split the individual drum sounds which can then have effects put on them and also allows altering individual drum sound levels.

For sfz/sf2 this seems to work, maybe there are better ways to do it.

Split the notes of a midi drum track to individual midi tracks representing the snare, tom, etc using the Reaper Action "Explode MIDI note rows (pitch) to new items".

Then route the output of a drum sfz/sf2 loaded into SFzero (disk streaming https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero/releases) on each midi track to a corresponding audio track which can then have audio effects put on it.

A compressor or reverb effect etc can be put on individual drum elements such as reverb only on the snare or whatever.

It's also possible to do a similar thing with LinuxSampler as above.

So I've split the slayer3 midi drum file to 5 midi tracks and then I put an instance of SFzero (disk streaming) on each track and loaded them with the same sfz/sf2 file.

Then I add 5 audio tracks corresponding to the 5 midi tracks (ch1, ch2 etc) and route the audio output of each of the midi tracks with SFZero on them to each of the 5 audio tracks using audio channels 3 and 4.

So midi track1 goes to ch1 and midi track2 goes to ch2 etc

Then I can add effects onto the 5 tracks which makes it possible to put reverb on the hi-hat and/or compression on the snare etc etc.

It's also possible to use and mix up different soundfont samples for different drums, by loading a different soundfont on the snare midi track or whatever.

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Thanks for the help guys. Why so complicated!!! Oh well, that's GNU/Linux :p
David Healey