Free Fender amp Impulse Responses

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

raffguitar++
Established Member

Free Fender amp Impulse Responses

Post by raffguitar++ »

Hi Folks,

I'm posting these over here because the topic was brought up in another thread, which had already gone off-course, so I figured I'd try to keep things clean.

These are free impulse responses I created back in 2011 or so and had uploaded to Guitarampmodeling.com. They are of two amps that I unfortunately had to sell: a 1971 silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (with original Jensen speaker), and a blonde Fender Blues Jr ca.2006

Fender Blues Jr:
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1331131

Fender Deluxe Reverb:
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1331132

md5 checksum for Fender Blues Jr.
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1331133

md5 checksum for Fender Deluxe Reverb
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1331134

OK, the checksums might be a bit overkill, but I figure better safe than sorry, right? Plus I need to practice my command line as much as possible. :wink:

Hope you find them useful - Enjoy! :)

Raffguitar++
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Free Fender amp Impulse Responses

Post by sysrqer »

Thanks a lot, going to give these a try soon.
dsreyes1014
Established Member

Post by dsreyes1014 »

Forgive me guys but how do we use these files. With Guitarix? Will I need another program? Is this in essence a sampler file for guitars?
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

dsreyes1014 wrote:Forgive me guys but how do we use these files. With Guitarix? Will I need another program? Is this in essence a sampler file for guitars?
You need a convolver. Consider this for example:
http://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&sectio ... onses_mono
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
raffguitar++
Established Member

Post by raffguitar++ »

dsreyes1014 wrote:Forgive me guys but how do we use these files. With Guitarix? Will I need another program? Is this in essence a sampler file for guitars?
Hi,

This is a huge topic, but put very simply, an impulse response is like an "audio snapshot" of a particular acoustic space (in this case, a particular amp cabinet with a particular microphone set at a particular distance in a particular room). All modern amp simulators, from AmpliTube to Line 6 to the Fractal Axe FX, use convolution to recreate the sound of a certain amp cab/speaker/mic combination. Impulses are also used quite extensively for reverb as they give an incredibly realistic sound. You can search all of that out if you're interested, but here's a quickie tutorial to get you up and running:

Guitarix has a built-in convolver, but it seems to be intended mainly for reverb impulses not speaker cabinets, so IDEALLY you want to use a zero-latency convolver (like the LSP one linked nearby) or Robin Gareus's zero-latency Convolver LV2 plugin, because I think they're designed for shorter impulses (...although in all honesty I don't know if maybe Guitarix's convolver is zero-latency as well..?) In any case, we'll use the one in Guitarix as an example;

* Start Guitarix. Make the rack visible by selecting "Plugins > Show Rack".
You should have two rack modules - the "input" module (noise gate, compressor, mono level out, etc) and the amp head. Since these impulses are mono, you're going to use the Mono convolver. Go to "Plugins > Mono plugins > Reverb > Convolver".

* (Just in case, make sure that the Convolver is AFTER the amp head by clicking "Order" and click-dragging the convolver after the amp if necessary.)

* On the Convolver panel, click "Setup" and use the "File" button to navigate to one of the Impulse responses. Just a suggestion - start with an impulse that's relatively close to the speaker and on the cap's edge, like "DlxRev-PE50SP-CapEdge-1in.wav" in the "Fender_Deluxe_Reverb_1971/Shure_PE50SP_(Dynamic)" folder.

* Set the "Mix" of the impulse to 100% wet. Click the "Gain" knob's power button to activate it and bring it down a bit; some impulses are louder than others and it's best to start low and balance volume later as needed. Click "OK".

* Now just lower the amp head's volume to get a clean sound, which is what the Fender amps are generally known for..or crank it a bit for a bluesy tone.
Try setting the "Clean/Dist" knob all the way clean, "Pre Gain" at 12 O'clock, and the "Drive" to a moderate setting. And for the Deluxe Reverb, you might want to add a little "Bass Boost" and "Presence" to add more authenticity.

------------------------------------------------------

Now of course, where Guitarix really shines is with heavy guitar tones, and there is a metric TON of free guitar cab impulses floating around the net. In fact, I think someone at guitarampmodeling.com had put a link to a massive collection that someone put together in one huge archive a long time ago..I'll have to look, but it's probably even BIGGER by now! :shock:

Anyway, hope this helps :)

Raffguitar++
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

raffguitar++ wrote:Guitarix has a built-in convolver, but it seems to be intended mainly for reverb impulses not speaker cabinets, so IDEALLY you want to use a zero-latency convolver (like the LSP one linked nearby) or Robin Gareus's zero-latency Convolver LV2 plugin, because I think they're designed for shorter impulses (...although in all honesty I don't know if maybe Guitarix's convolver is zero-latency as well..?)
Of course, the guitarix Convolver's are zero-latency one's. :wink:
On the road again.
raffguitar++
Established Member

Post by raffguitar++ »

Of course, the guitarix Convolver's are zero-latency one's.
Oh OK! Thanks for clearing that up :)
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

raffguitar++ wrote:Now of course, where Guitarix really shines is with heavy guitar tones,
Well, while this is true, most people simply just didn't know how to make guitarix shine on clean tones as well.
The fact is, that guitarix is modular, a way more modular then any comparable analogue gear will be, that would make it a bit harder to get what you wont, but open as well a couple of possibility's.

So, to get a nice, clean amp tone, you should involve the BiQuad filter from the Tone Control category, and put it before the amp (tube emulation), that will smooth the input in a way that it reduce the drive in the tubes ( it act as a amp input buffer), so that they later starts to overdrive.
And of course, like you've said, like with most other amp sims, you need a IR file, like your Fender Blues Jr. one, for the convolver behind the amp to get the classic sound.
On the road again.
dsreyes1014
Established Member

Post by dsreyes1014 »

raffguitar++ wrote: Hi,

This is a huge topic, but put very simply, an impulse response is like an "audio snapshot" of a particular acoustic space (in this case, a particular amp cabinet with a particular microphone set at a particular distance in a particular room). All modern amp simulators, from AmpliTube to Line 6 to the Fractal Axe FX, use convolution to recreate the sound of a certain amp cab/speaker/mic combination. Impulses are also used quite extensively for reverb as they give an incredibly realistic sound. You can search all of that out if you're interested, but here's a quickie tutorial to get you up and running:

Guitarix has a built-in convolver, but it seems to be intended mainly for reverb impulses not speaker cabinets, so IDEALLY you want to use a zero-latency convolver (like the LSP one linked nearby) or Robin Gareus's zero-latency Convolver LV2 plugin, because I think they're designed for shorter impulses (...although in all honesty I don't know if maybe Guitarix's convolver is zero-latency as well..?) In any case, we'll use the one in Guitarix as an example;

* Start Guitarix. Make the rack visible by selecting "Plugins > Show Rack".
You should have two rack modules - the "input" module (noise gate, compressor, mono level out, etc) and the amp head. Since these impulses are mono, you're going to use the Mono convolver. Go to "Plugins > Mono plugins > Reverb > Convolver".

* (Just in case, make sure that the Convolver is AFTER the amp head by clicking "Order" and click-dragging the convolver after the amp if necessary.)

* On the Convolver panel, click "Setup" and use the "File" button to navigate to one of the Impulse responses. Just a suggestion - start with an impulse that's relatively close to the speaker and on the cap's edge, like "DlxRev-PE50SP-CapEdge-1in.wav" in the "Fender_Deluxe_Reverb_1971/Shure_PE50SP_(Dynamic)" folder.

* Set the "Mix" of the impulse to 100% wet. Click the "Gain" knob's power button to activate it and bring it down a bit; some impulses are louder than others and it's best to start low and balance volume later as needed. Click "OK".

* Now just lower the amp head's volume to get a clean sound, which is what the Fender amps are generally known for..or crank it a bit for a bluesy tone.
Try setting the "Clean/Dist" knob all the way clean, "Pre Gain" at 12 O'clock, and the "Drive" to a moderate setting. And for the Deluxe Reverb, you might want to add a little "Bass Boost" and "Presence" to add more authenticity.

------------------------------------------------------

Now of course, where Guitarix really shines is with heavy guitar tones, and there is a metric TON of free guitar cab impulses floating around the net. In fact, I think someone at guitarampmodeling.com had put a link to a massive collection that someone put together in one huge archive a long time ago..I'll have to look, but it's probably even BIGGER by now! :shock:

Anyway, hope this helps :)

Raffguitar++

Wow that's cool. I didn't know we can do that. For reverb I use OvertoneDSP RVB500 which is ok but if I can find ir files that sound better for vocals. This is interesting.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:
You need a convolver. Consider this for example:
http://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&sectio ... onses_mono
as a stand alone convolver, LSP is the best for Linux and works amazinly. The built-in one in Guitarix is awesome too.
Arthurx
Established Member

Post by Arthurx »

Hi tramp and ++,

I am gonna try your tricks later when I am home.

raffguitar++
Established Member

Post by raffguitar++ »

So, to get a nice, clean amp tone, you should involve the BiQuad filter from the Tone Control category, and put it before the amp (tube emulation), that will smooth the input in a way that it reduce the drive in the tubes ( it act as a amp input buffer), so that they later starts to overdrive.
Ahh, interesting! Thanks, I'll have to try that and tweak my settings. Still quite a few modules I haven't played around with yet.

@dsreyes: Yeah, depending on the quality of the impulse taken, IRs are usually much better sounding than algorithmic reverbs. The only down side I can think of is that they use more CPU. (..sometimes a LOT more). For reverbs, search for Bricasti (M7 ??) and Lexicon PCM70 in the freebie archives.

@Arthurx: You're welcome! Have fun down in the sonic rabbit hole :lol:
aviavi

Post by aviavi »

Hi. I think the llinks have expired. Anyway you can repost these? Thanks much!
buscon
Established Member

Post by buscon »

I am aware it was sometime ago, but maybe someone still have these IR and would like to share them?

Thanks!