Downloaded sounds

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

doelen

Downloaded sounds

Post by doelen »

Hi
I have just started to use my laptop (KXStudio) to generate sounds, since my keyboard only has about 10 sounds implemented.
I wanted to download a few sound from songs that i like. The downloaded files have the endings .cst, .plistZ, .nsmp or .prt_omn. I think that those files are form Omnisphere and Garageband.
Is it possible to convert them to another format or open them with a free Linux program?
Luc
Established Member

Re: Downloaded sounds

Post by Luc »

I have no idea, but if you're going to make music on Linux, I recommend other formats, such as WAV, AIFF, MP3, SF2, SFZ and GIG. Especially WAV, SF2 and SFZ, there are plenty of those around.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

No reason. Just an oversight. It's very good, too.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

The idea in general would be, as per the original question, why would one want to pursue Windows software while wanting to use Linux. Omnispehere nor Garageband are running in Linux, do they ?
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

jonetsu wrote:Omnispehere nor Garageband are running in Linux, do they ?
No mention of Omnispehere or Garageband in WineHQ, so no, I don't believe they run on Linux.
jonetsu wrote:The idea in general would be, as per the original question, why would one want to pursue Windows software while wanting to use Linux.
Now that is a bit different if you word it that way. Thousands of Windows plugins run on Linux, and many of them are very good and most are freeware. Why not use them? ;)