Samples Copyright Question

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

singforme
Established Member

Samples Copyright Question

Post by singforme »

Hi everyone, I'm just in the process of crossing over from Win to Linux and I find the AVL-Drumkits and the No Budget Orchestra pretty appealing. I'm not sure about licensing though: If I use those samples in music tracks, do I need to attribute to the folks that did the samples when releasing the music? Also will I be able to use the music commercially?
singforme
Established Member

Re: Samples Copyright Question

Post by singforme »

This sounds great! Thank you!
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Here are some points from an extremely pedantic point of view.

By using the samples, you are making a derivative work. So you need to respect the copyright of the samples. However, most of the samples use license that allow most uses. Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra uses CC-Sampling-Plus which is proprietary but allow almost all uses in derivative works. AVL drumkits explicitly say that you have no limits in making music with them. NBO has various licenses and some of them are proprietary but most of them have no limits. I have plans of putting various bits and pieces from the Internet to assemble a good sounding orchestra as the only free orchestra is VSCO Community and its SFZs are extremely horrible.

Now, another thing. There is no free SFZ sampler. LinuxSampler is proprietary so I won't recommend using it. FluidSynth is a good free sampler but it can only play SF2. Thankfully, AVL drumkits exist in SF2 format. Good free SF2 orchestra? Doesn't exist yet. There is a Fluid GM soundfont which provides General MIDI instruments of adequate quality.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

If you're into manipulating samples and loops, or even if not, freesound.org has quite a lot.

https://www.freesound.org/
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Yeah, that's why I generally avoid listening to proprietary music. If a music is good, you always want to open it in Sonic Visualizer and find chords and melody. I dream of a world where if you like what you hear, you see a "Download project" or "Download score" button so you can always see how it's done.
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Thank you man, pedantic and pretty helpful![quote="FaTony"]Here are some points from an extremely pedantic point of view.