Notes for Kontakt 5.6 on wine

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

driedstr
Established Member

Notes for Kontakt 5.6 on wine

Post by driedstr »

These should be taken in addition to the kontakt 5.5 notes provided by daeavelwyn here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15541. Some of these steps may not be necessary, I only just succeeded with this in a somewhat dirty wineprefix.

- requires wine 1.9 or greater, which fixes some windows api issues
- crashes only when refreshing presets on load; if this happens, either keep opening new instances until one doesn't refresh presets OR leave a frozen one open and load a new instance (which then won't load presets)
- requires additional dll overrides for concrt140 and maybe msvcp140 (in addition to the 5.5 overrides listed above)
- may require setcap (in package libcap2-bin) to enable ptrace between wineserver and wine-preloader (see here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/146160/w ... -any-risks)

performance is awful without wineasio, but with wineasio, Kontakt apparently adds 2.9ms to my 8.7ms jack latency, which is usable.

until a prepackaged wineasio is compatible with a newer version of wine, one can compile wineasio from source oneself and use wine-staging or wine-devel (which at time of writing provide wine-2.0-rc2). Some changes need to be made to compiling wineasio for wine-staging:
- add /opt/wine-staging/* paths to Makefile64
- wineasio.dll.so copied to /opt/wine-staging/lib/wine/ and /opt/wine-staging/lib64/wine/
- register the dll with

Code: Select all

wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll
(also works with WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64)

Finally, apparently to boost kontakt performance under wine one should disable multiprocessor support within kontakt (since wine will handle it). There's a setting in kontakt under Options/Engine, but if that doesn't "stick" (my experience), there's also a registry key.