linuxsampler "Not a RIFF file" error

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hjhmusic
Established Member

linuxsampler "Not a RIFF file" error

Post by hjhmusic »

I found the Virtual Playing Orchestra site -- seems promising indeed! (And I see there is a thread on this board for it.)

BUT -- linuxsampler chokes on it:

Loading gig file '/abridgedpath/Virtual-Playing-Orchestra/Strings/1st-violin-SEC-normal-mod-wheel.sfz'...gig::Engine error: Failed to load instrument, cause: Not a RIFF file

Indeed, the sample files are all WAV.

So, how are people using this library in Linux?

Sorry if it's an exceptionally dense question. I do most of my work in SuperCollider and I almost never use large sampled instruments, but I have a project now where I have to. So this morning, I built linuxsampler (most recent stable source packages) on the assumption that it would be able to load SFZ instruments and... it didn't. If I should be using some other software instead, I'd welcome suggestions.

Thanks.

hjh
antiesen
Established Member

Re: linuxsampler "Not a RIFF file" error

Post by antiesen »

Switch the engine from gig to sfz.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
hjhmusic
Established Member

Post by hjhmusic »

@FalkTX, built by myself from http://download.linuxsampler.org/packag ... .0.tar.bz2
antiesen wrote:Switch the engine from gig to sfz.
A----ha. Is there a way to do that, other than firing a LSCP script at it (per channel)? I'm using JSampler as the front-end for now.

I think I've loaded an instrument and connected MIDI, but there's no sound yet. Still fiddling.

hjh
hjhmusic
Established Member

Post by hjhmusic »

And... how about using the Fantasia front-end, which has an "Engine" widget per channel. Beautiful.

OK, it seems to be all right there. Somehow I had an idea that Fantasia was "for Windows" but nah, it's just better.

It's playing notes, so... off I go.

Thanks for the hints! That's what I needed.

hjh
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes, I've also just recently put together an orchestral project template for Ardour using Virtual Playing Orchestra. If you finish a piece of music I would love to hear it. I also know that Paul has been interested in some demo tracks, so if you want to contribute that way get in touch with him.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

hjhmusic wrote:
Thanks for the hints! That's what I needed.

hjh
Great!
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985