NBO website future

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lyberta
Established Member

NBO website future

Post by Lyberta »

EDIT: nobudgetorchestra.net has expired and cybersquatted.

Original post: Back in June I volunteered to host a website for No Budget Orchestra located at nobudgetorchestra.net

Now, I have several problems with it. First, there is ambiguous information about the license of the samples. A lot of samples are taken from freesound which hosts free and proprietary samples and no definite licenses are specified. So it is not an orchestra made with the freedom in mind. I tolerated this for a while, but no longer.

Second, I have started a personal project and I no longer have the budget to host No Budget (oh, the irony) Orchestra.

So, I intend to transfer the domain name to Jeff. the source code for the website is available at https://gitlab.com/Lyberta/NBO If anyone wants to host - welcome.
Last edited by Lyberta on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bhilmers
Established Member

Re: NBO website future

Post by bhilmers »

Sure, I would be glad to host the NBO site. What kind of bandwidth was it using and can you reasonably project it's future usage over the next year? I can probably handle it. I already seed the torrents.

Invested parties should PM me to work out the details.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Up until the torrents I was hosting and still host an FTP folder with everything pre-torrent. I would happily continue and have enough bandwidth but there has never been any direct communication to me about handling or hosting the torrents which frankly I find quite odd. If someone does take over the NBO and NBB hosting and there is a long-term site set up for Jeff's work I would like to also hand over the existing SFZ's. It doesn't make sense to have stuff here and there and updates and old versions all co-existing which is confusing for potential users. Hehe, I'm also not really good with ambiguity, I'm happy to help and support but I also like to be in the loop :wink:

Here is the existing pre-torrent archive: http://www.bandshed.net/sounds/sfz/

If something privately is worked out with new hosting please PM me or post here so the existing FTP folder archive is not lost or prematurely removed.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I haven't forgotten about you, Glen. The plan was to get everything repackaged in the new easy-to-update format, and uploaded to tony's site. Then, I would have you delete all the individual zip files on your ftp site, and mirror the zip files on tony's site.

Obviously the plan will change slightly now, but I still want to finish the repackaging before you start deleting files. I'm working on it.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

I suggest uploading nbo_1, nbb_basses and nbb_guitars to bandshed so it wouldn't eat up almost all of my bandwidth and space.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

isn't putting everything on github an option ?
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Too big for github. NBO and NBB combined are over 2 CDROMs of samples.

rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

what about sf ?
https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documen ... %20Quotas/
Service Quotas

There are currently no fixed capacity limits around usage of our services. In lieu of specific disk usage caps (quotas), we instead use the honor system. Projects should:

Keep disk usage to a reasonable level
Use project disk space solely for project-related data.
Clean-up temporary data when no longer needed.
But actually these sampled should just be packaged for distro's ...
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:I haven't forgotten about you, Glen. The plan was to get everything repackaged in the new easy-to-update format, and uploaded to tony's site. Then, I would have you delete all the individual zip files on your ftp site, and mirror the zip files on tony's site.

Obviously the plan will change slightly now, but I still want to finish the repackaging before you start deleting files. I'm working on it.
Hi,

Fair enough, no problem to leave it as is for now until you get things figured out, once you do I'm happy to mirror. I can't really help you out with a site unfortunately, web admin stuff is not my forte and my own sites and domains already eat up too much spare time.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

nobudgetorchestra.net domain name expires in June. I have redirected the site to https://nbo.libreorchestra.net/

Libre Orchestra? Yes, I want to create a 100% libre orchestra which will only contain samples that are free cultural works. I wanted to use NBO as a base but there is also a Virtual Playing Orchestra and VSCO which also have additional free samples.

I will stop hosting NBO website when I will release the first version of Libre Orchestra. The website git repository will still exist for some years.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Lyberta wrote:I want to create a 100% libre orchestra
If you're going to host something that isn't NBO, you should probably change the name (on the web page) so that people don't assume it's the same thing. Like Paul did with his orch based upon other compilations.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

OMG what a way to make a project impossible to track and promote... just do something or don't, half assing it and then flaking out really doesn't help anyone. Jeff I still have the files hosted, if someone can reliably put up a front page (my God even a Facebook page would do) and want to point to my hosting I'm still cool with that. I don't have time to do a domain and maintain the front end, nor do I particularly enjoy IT stuff but I'll still host the files.

Someone.... anyone.... let me know what's going on :roll: :wink:
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:If you're going to host something that isn't NBO, you should probably change the name (on the web page) so that people don't assume it's the same thing. Like Paul did with his orch based upon other compilations.
I have chosen the name: Libre Orchestra and I have chosen a domain name: libreorchestra.net. Initially, I thought that I will let nobudgetorchestra.net expire and its website simply won't exist. But then I decided than I will give it some more life. libreorchestra.net seemed like a good domain for a subdomain.

Jeff, I'd really like to transfer nobudgetorchestra.net to you so you will own the domain name. You will need to choose a registrar, I prefer https://www.namesilo.com and you will need an authorization code from me. The domain will cost you 10.79$ per year. Otherwise, it will be cybersquatted.
GMaq wrote:Hi,

OMG what a way to make a project impossible to track and promote... just do something or don't, half assing it and then flaking out really doesn't help anyone.
I'm sorry. I was naive and thought that NBO contains only free cultural works. I will never volunteer to any other project until I carefully read the license terms on all content.

Anyway, there is still month left. Come on, Jeff, do something, make a page somewhere, contact me for authorization code, anything. It's your orchestra.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

And it's over. Domain name has expired.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Lyberta wrote:The domain will cost you 10.79$ per year. Otherwise, it will be cybersquatted.
And it was. Heh, someone somewhere thought that nobudgetorchestra.net is a good investment opportunity. I don't know, Jeff, NBO has some good samples in it, why are you not caring for your project?