AVL Drumkits 1.1 Released! Now with Soundfont2

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

AVL Drumkits 1.1 Released! Now with Soundfont2

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I have just released an update of the AVL-Drumkits (now at 1.1). For those who are unfamiliar these are free sample libraries of 2 complete Drumkits and hand percussion in Hydrogen, SFZ and Soundfont2 formats. These kits are intended to bring an authentic acoustic, organic drum sound to your MIDI DAW arrangements and preserve real-world characteristics such as tom ringing and overtones unlike many General MIDI kits that sound sterile. AVL-Drumkits feature 5 sample layers per kit piece, have a very light memory footprint and are suitable for systems old and new. The shell samples provide both center and edge hits to emulate right and left hands and the cymbals are quite realistic without truncated samples. Additional resources are available such as a PDF Keymap and Midnam files to use with MIDI tracks in Ardour and Mixbus.

Changelog:

- Now licensed CC-BY-SA with a slightly modified license (Thanks to Nils Gey)
- Newly added Soundfont2 versions! (tested with the new 'a-Fluid Synth' plugin in Ardour 5.4)
- Cleaned up formatting of SFZ text files with better key number ordering (didn't affect performance, just my OCD)
- New Kick drum samples for both kits with fuller sounding closed resonant heads.

Downloads, more detailed information and Audio and Video demos of the Kits can all be found at the AVL-Drumkits webpage:

http://www.bandshed.net/avldrumkits/

Enjoy! Glen MacArthur - AV Linux Maintainer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: AVL Drumkits 1.1 Released! Now with Soundfont2

Post by funkmuscle »

Nice dude! Thanx! A Drumgizmo release in the plans? I just love the more natural feel and sound because of the bleeding and things like that and your kits sound sweet!
Arthurx
Established Member

Post by Arthurx »

Hi Glenn,
Thanks i already use version 1.0.
And it sounds great! :D

No joking! :lol:

I like the black pearl 5 piece.
Try this out later.

Greetings Arthur
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

Thanks again for these incredible kits! Both are fantastic. I do wish there were more snare samples in round robin, if you are interested in improving them further. Sf2 will be really convenient now with A5.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Thanks. These have rapidly become my 'go to' kits
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the comments, I really appreciate it.

@funkmuscle and ssj71

I can kill 2 questions with one answer, Now that we have an improved studio, some additional/better mics and a more static setup I'm hoping to be able to tackle resampling everything for an econo-sized DrumGizmo kit, at the same time I will be taking more samples of individual kit pieces which will hopefully allow for 'round-robin' sampling on the snare and toms for the SFZ version at least. We're in the middle of the next Rated Blue album right now so no promises for when that may be, it's on my list so I'll get to it eventually... :)

@falkTX

Thanks so much! That's really great news!!

Is 'AVL Drumkits' possible as a brand rather than AV Linux?
Last edited by GMaq on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

GMaq wrote:Hi,

Thanks everyone for the comments, I really appreciate it.

@funkmuscle and ssj71

I can kill 2 questions with one answer, Now that we have an improved studio, some additional/better mics and a more static setup I'm hoping to be able to tackle resampling everything for an econo-sized DrumGizmo kit, at the same time I will be taking more samples of individual kit pieces which will hopefully allow for 'round-robin' sampling on the snare and toms for the SFZ version at least. We're in the middle of the next Rated Blue album right now so no promises for when that may be, it's on my list so I'll get to it eventually... :)

@falkTX

Thanks so much! That's really great news!!

Is 'AVL-Drumkits' possible as a brand rather than AV Linux?
That's awesome dude. Thanx! A little Canadian side note, Go Jays Go!! :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Hydrogen now supports round robin. Will you be making samples for that or making hydrogen kits with round-robin support? I hope the right term is support maybe it should be capabilities?!?!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

falkTX wrote:mod:label is restricted to 11 characters. Maybe 'AVL Drumkit' ?
btw it's supposed represent a more global brand name, not just a product.
OK got it! Use 'AV Linux' unless you are concerned about copyright issues with the word 'Linux', in that case just use 'AVL' then. Thanks VERY much again :wink:
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Can you add a license file to all downloads? Currently only SF2 version has it.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

FaTony wrote:Can you add a license file to all downloads? Currently only SF2 version has it.
Hi,

I wasn't sure about adding a PDF file to the SFZ bundle, will test and see if it has any negative effects, if not I will bundle the license in the next release in all formats. The license is declared as CC-BY-SA in the Hydrogen version in the embedded info.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

extra files in an sfz don't hurt anything. Thats also great news that there's round robin in the plans. I think once that is done these will easily be my goto kit.

@Gmaq - I was playing with these tonight and found a bug in the sf2 black pearl 5 pc. the hat pedal close also triggers the low tom. Also, maybe its just my headphones but the floor tom seems pretty loud compared to the snare and other toms.

The sf2 versions are very convenient with the new a-fluidsynth plugin! thanks again.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

ssj71 wrote:extra files in an sfz don't hurt anything. Thats also great news that there's round robin in the plans. I think once that is done these will easily be my goto kit.

@Gmaq - I was playing with these tonight and found a bug in the sf2 black pearl 5 pc. the hat pedal close also triggers the low tom. Also, maybe its just my headphones but the floor tom seems pretty loud compared to the snare and other toms.

The sf2 versions are very convenient with the new a-fluidsynth plugin! thanks again.
Thanks for the info and the bug report, I will check it out this weekend.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Looking at the FTP page for Hydrogen kits there is a 4A and 4B Black pearl kit. What is the difference please.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

English Guy wrote:Looking at the FTP page for Hydrogen kits there is a 4A and 4B Black pearl kit. What is the difference please.
Hi,

The difference is in the snare drums, 4A has a double ply batter snare head and has a less 'crisp' sound, a bit lower pitch and a longer duration hit than 4B, it actually has similar character to some electronic snares. 4B is a bit snappier and more traditionally 'acoustic' sounding but sometimes 4A sits in a mix better, it all depends on what you're looking for. Other than that they are identical.