Kontakt on Linux using Wine?

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mike4711
Established Member

Kontakt on Linux using Wine?

Post by mike4711 »

Hi,

Has anyone managed to run Kontakt, for example version 5, on Linux with Wine?
If not version 5, then what about older versions?
And what about the full version vs. the player?

/Mike
stanlea
Established Member

Re: Kontakt on Linux using Wine?

Post by stanlea »

I've tried (last version from the 4.x series), and it works but with a loooooooot of xruns. There's a demo, so you can try by yourself. Like everything with wine, it may work for some, not for others.
mike4711
Established Member

Post by mike4711 »

stanlea wrote:I've tried (last version from the 4.x series), and it works but with a loooooooot of xruns. There's a demo, so you can try by yourself. Like everything with wine, it may work for some, not for others.
Thanks for the info.

/Mike
iliverez

Post by iliverez »

It works ok, but you have to:

* go to options and disable multiprocessor support. This makes a huge difference.
* minimize kontakt window when not adjusting things on the UI

For the best results, use AVLinux (at least for me it is the most reliable/best performing audio production system in the Linux audio world). If using a USB audio interface, give it a go with the older kernel 3.6.7. On an i5 laptop with 4G RAM it works fine at latencies about 6ms-8ms, maybe less.
Finally,taking memory usage into consideration, take care to use only what is really required. If your system starts using swap memory you will get lots of xruns.
allinitis
Established Member

Post by allinitis »

I managed to get Kontakt running in Carla, both stand-alone and in ardour. I put together a little example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_2PaBmCCU

It's using kxstudio elements on a lowlatency kernel, ubuntu 16.04.

Software involved....
Carla, Cadence, Catia, Wine, wineasio, Ardour.
Aksjodgoi
Established Member

Post by Aksjodgoi »

allinitis wrote:I managed to get Kontakt running in Carla, both stand-alone and in ardour.
Could you make a full tutorial how to configure and launch kontakt? That would be awesome. :shock:
allinitis
Established Member

Post by allinitis »

Aksjodgoi wrote:
allinitis wrote:I managed to get Kontakt running in Carla, both stand-alone and in ardour.
Could you make a full tutorial how to configure and launch kontakt? That would be awesome. :shock:
Hello :-)

When you say launch and configure kontakt, you don't mean the installation of everything involved, just how to scan for the plugin in carla and launch it? Just to clarify... since my system is somewhat delicately balanced.
Aksjodgoi
Established Member

Post by Aksjodgoi »

allinitis wrote:
Aksjodgoi wrote:
Hello :-)

When you say launch and configure kontakt, you don't mean the installation of everything involved, just how to scan for the plugin in carla and launch it? Just to clarify... since my system is somewhat delicately balanced.
Before posting I had no idea how to use carla but now I get it. :D

I've installed Kontakt but nothing happens when I launch it. Terminal says:

Code: Select all

err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP140.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Kontakt 5\\Kontakt 5.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library CONCRT140.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Kontakt 5\\Kontakt 5.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Kontakt 5\\Kontakt 5.exe" failed, status c0000135
So, which dependencies did you installed for wine to run kontakt? :)
Maybe is this something additional I need to install?

I don't usually use wine but when I do... Shit happens :lol:

EDIT: vc_redist.x64 and vc_redist.x86 are already installed.
allinitis
Established Member

Post by allinitis »

I've installed Kontakt but nothing happens when I launch it. Terminal says:

Code: Select all

err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP140.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Kontakt 5\\Kontakt 5.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library CONCRT140.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Kontakt 5\\Kontakt 5.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Kontakt 5\\Kontakt 5.exe" failed, status c0000135
So, which dependencies did you installed for wine to run kontakt? :)
Maybe is this something additional I need to install?

I don't usually use wine but when I do... Shit happens :lol:
Ironically I don't think I did anything special in wine for kontakt. But since I tweaked the system quite a lot before to get photoshop running and so on, maybe something there has helped it. In that process, using winetricks, I did install vcrun2005, vcrun2008 and vcrun2010, gdiplus, and gdiplus_winxp.

In your case, I would try winetricks as above and if it still gives the error, https://www.dll-files.com/ Here, you can find MSVCP140 and CONCRT140 and place them in /home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

Otherwise, I added the KX studio repos - http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories
Installed Carla, Cadence, Catia plus loads of plugins.

I installed wineasio - important to be able to use it properly (I think I got it from the top post here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2029348)

and then registered it - Terminal command: "wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll"

What versions of ubuntu, wine and kontakt do you have? Also is it 64bit?

Hope some of my ramblings help!
Aksjodgoi
Established Member

Post by Aksjodgoi »

allinitis wrote: What versions of ubuntu, wine and kontakt do you have? Also is it 64bit?

Linux Mint 18. Also everything is 64bit. Kernel same as yours.
Wine - 1.8, I also wonder if 1.9.x should help.
And Kontakt 5 Player -> legally downloaded. :D
Kxstudio repos and many plugins.
Also Cadence, Carla, Catia.

Did you install kontakt direcly using wine or via playonlinux?
allinitis
Established Member

Post by allinitis »

Aksjodgoi wrote:
allinitis wrote: What versions of ubuntu, wine and kontakt do you have? Also is it 64bit?

Linux Mint 18. Also everything is 64bit. Kernel same as yours.
Wine - 1.8, I also wonder if 1.9.x should help.
And Kontakt 5 Player -> legally downloaded. :D
Kxstudio repos and many plugins.
Also Cadence, Carla, Catia.

Did you install kontakt direcly using wine or via playonlinux?
I installed directly on wine and strangely enough, I'm running version 1.62. Not sure that makes much of a difference.

Did you do winetricks and install DLLs... vcrun2005, vcrun2008 and vcrun2010, gdiplus, and gdiplus_winxp? I have a feeling it's missing those dependencies.
Aksjodgoi
Established Member

Post by Aksjodgoi »

allinitis wrote: Did you do winetricks and install DLLs... vcrun2005, vcrun2008 and vcrun2010, gdiplus, and gdiplus_winxp? I have a feeling it's missing those dependencies.
That was my bad. Everything was set to 32 bit system while trying to launch 64bit app. :lol:
allinitis
Established Member

Post by allinitis »

Aksjodgoi wrote:
allinitis wrote: Did you do winetricks and install DLLs... vcrun2005, vcrun2008 and vcrun2010, gdiplus, and gdiplus_winxp? I have a feeling it's missing those dependencies.
That was my bad. Everything was set to 32 bit system while trying to launch 64bit app. :lol:
Yay! So it's all working now? By the way... nice tracks on soundcloud :-)
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

@allinitis: I liked your video demo. I usually don't use Compiz video effects on my machines that I use for audio stuff; but it's nice to see a video with some effects included. It adds a nice touch! :)

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
allinitis
Established Member

Post by allinitis »

briandc wrote:@allinitis: I liked your video demo. I usually don't use Compiz video effects on my machines that I use for audio stuff; but it's nice to see a video with some effects included. It adds a nice touch! :)

brian
Thank you. Always was so attracted to the whole compiz environment. Doesn't seem to have a huge impact on my cpu either so until something breaks, I will keep it :-)