Jack audio kit install help

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Newmac

Jack audio kit install help

Post by Newmac »

I’m trying to install jack audio kit on a mac. I just got a mac yesterday so everything is different from windows. I tried the tar xvzf command in terminal to extract the tar file but all I get is a folder. This is where I don’t know how to open the application. Can anyone help? Thanks
https://jackaudio.org/downloads/
tramp
Established Member

Re: Jack audio kit install help

Post by tramp »

I've no idea about mac or windows, and by the way, we've a subforum here special for questions related to non-linux app's and questions. However, you are new here, so first, welcome, and maybe this one is of some help for you:
http://macappstore.org/jack/

Other then that, note that linux is mostly provided in source code format, you can't simply install from a tar.gz archive, you need to un-pack it and compile i, before you could install it.
On the road again.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Newmac wrote:I tried the tar xvzf command in terminal to extract the tar file but all I get is a folder. This is where I don’t know how to open the application.
Seriously, just step away from that scary magic box and never approach it again. This isn't “Mac OS X for toddlers” forum, it's Linux Musicians.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

AlexTheBassist wrote:Seriously, just step away from that scary magic box and never approach it again. This isn't “Mac OS X for toddlers” forum, it's Linux Musicians.
Alex, and it isn't a forum for "How could I make my windows software working with wine" as well, but you participate in those threads happily.
Please, claim down, @Newmac is new here, he try to install a "Linux" software on the MAC, and we all know, that a lot of MAC users been here.
Moving this topic to "Running non-linux software" will be much appreciated here, but, no reason to start a fight.
On the road again.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

tramp wrote:Alex, and it isn't a forum for "How could I make my windows software working with wine" as well, but you participate in those threads happily
But did you really read my comments? Almost all of them are about avoiding WINE and making commercial developers release their stuff for Linux. I never encouraged anyone to use Windows software on Linux. But this is off topic. What is on topic is that this forum isn't “<insert_OS_here> for complete noobs”, we should just delete themes like this with no feedback. This question has nothing to do with JACK, despite it's mentioned; this question is about the very basics of interaction with a graphical user interface. This is clearly out of scope of LinuxMusicians.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

Newmac wrote:I’m trying to install jack audio kit on a mac. I just got a mac yesterday so everything is different from windows. I tried the tar xvzf command in terminal to extract the tar file but all I get is a folder. This is where I don’t know how to open the application. Can anyone help? Thanks
https://jackaudio.org/downloads/
You most likely downloaded the source code tarball which needs to be compiled.
Look for the link to the binary zip file, JackOSX 0.92_b3, and download that one.
The zip file contains a pkg file which is a Mac installer, if I am not mistaken.

There are some more instructions (albeit for a previous version) in the PDF document at https://sourceforge.net/projects/jackos ... kOSX/0.89/.