Ardour/yoshimi stopped saving synth parameters (debian)

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

caryoscelus
Established Member

Ardour/yoshimi stopped saving synth parameters (debian)

Post by caryoscelus »

I'm not sure whether the issue is with Ardour or Yoshimi, so writing here looking for advice how to nail it down. After a system (debian sid) upgrade, every time i open ardour session with yoshimi instruments, all of them are reset to "simple sound". It seems like yoshimi was part of the upgrade, so i downgraded it to the previous (1.5.10) version using dpkg, but the issue did not go away. I've also backed up and removed ~/.config/yoshimi, because it kept complaining about non-xml in there, but it didn't help either. Now i'm out of ideas (besides compiling everything from source until it works, meh) what else to revert to fix the issue or at least how to nail down which package is responsible for it..
libre artist in many media :: site :: support my music on badcamp :: liberapay ::
ko-fi
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Ardour/yoshimi stopped saving synth parameters (debian)

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

caryoscelus wrote:[...] I've also backed up and removed ~/.config/yoshimi, because it kept complaining about non-xml in there, but it didn't help either. [...]
Maybe accidentally a "wrong" point or space was printed in that settings file. You say two things: your settings aren't read and the applications says that the settings file might be corrupt. Open the file w/ a text editor so see if something obvious is wrong.
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
caryoscelus wrote:[...] I've also backed up and removed ~/.config/yoshimi, because it kept complaining about non-xml in there, but it didn't help either. [...]
Maybe accidentally a "wrong" point or space was printed in that settings file. You say two things: your settings aren't read and the applications says that the settings file might be corrupt. Open the file w/ a text editor so see if something obvious is wrong.
If things are sane, per project settings shouldn't be stored in ~/.config/yoshimi (i can hardly imagine how it even would be stored there). In any case, yoshimi was saying it's not an xml and it indeed wasn't: it was a binary file. However, gunzipping it reveals it is merely a compressed xml and there doesn't seem to be anything (besides zero indent) wrong with it. And it doesn't seem to include nearly as much settings as would be enough for all my projects that ever used it
libre artist in many media :: site :: support my music on badcamp :: liberapay ::
ko-fi
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

caryoscelus wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:
If things are sane, per project settings shouldn't be stored in ~/.config/yoshimi (i can hardly imagine how it even would be stored there). In any case, yoshimi was saying it's not an xml and it indeed wasn't: it was a binary file. However, gunzipping it reveals it is merely a compressed xml and there doesn't seem to be anything (besides zero indent) wrong with it. And it doesn't seem to include nearly as much settings as would be enough for all my projects that ever used it.
Bummmer! Anyway, I don't know how Ardour works w/ settings files and projects. I'd try to start Yoshimi "stand alone" (if that's even possible) or via another application to determine if Yoshimi's settings are the culprit or Ardour is.

Good luck! :)
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Bummmer! Anyway, I don't know how Ardour works w/ settings files and projects. I'd try to start Yoshimi "stand alone" (if that's even possible) or via another application to determine if Yoshimi's settings are the culprit or Ardour is.

Good luck! :)
Thx ;) I actually just figured it out: two problems (reading global and per-track settings) were indeed related and the offending package is mxml library. Guess it's time to figure out debian bug tracker, but the great thing is that just downgrading already works
ko-fi
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

This is due to a change in mxml 3.1 where they now no longer accept data that starts with a blank line (some warning would have been nice). In the latest version of Yoshimi this is fixed - V 1.6.0.1
We simply remove any bank lines, before passing it through mxml.

The irony is that it appears to be mxml that is actually creating the blank line when saving!
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

folderol wrote:This is due to a change in mxml 3.1 where they now no longer accept data that starts with a blank line (some warning would have been nice). In the latest version of Yoshimi this is fixed - V 1.6.0.1
Eh, so it isn't even considered a bug in mxml?.. Anyway, i guess that makes Debian needs to update, then. Thanks for letting me know
folderol wrote:The irony is that it appears to be mxml that is actually creating the blank line when saving!
Yeah, that seems to be a problem..
ko-fi
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

folderol wrote:This is due to a change in mxml 3.1 where they now no longer accept data that starts with a blank line (some warning would have been nice). In the latest version of Yoshimi this is fixed - V 1.6.0.1

The irony is that it appears to be mxml that is actually creating the blank line when saving!
[off topic] Wouhar! :mrgreen: Twenty six years ago (!) I used ELM as a mail client on UNIX at the University during internship/graduation. One day I couldn't read my old mail anymore, which was stored locally. One of the students that was extremely savvy w/ computers - and actually set up said app for me - looked in the file in which contained the old mail (turned out to be simply a text file) and saw what the problem was. The file all of a sudden contained a (single) space as its first character. He removed the space and every thing was fine.

Never thought such problems would still exist in 2019!