Sitala drum plugin on Manjaro

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

autotech
Established Member

Sitala drum plugin on Manjaro

Post by autotech »

Greetings,

I recently switched to Manjaro KDE and Sitala no longer works in Ardour. It seems to load fine as stand alone and in Carla. However, in Carla patchbay in Ardour, it also crashes (seg fault). This is reproducible every time. If anyone has info on getting Sitala to work in Manjaro and Ardour, I'd appreciate the help. For my workflow, Sitala is much better than Hydrogen, and I would really like to get this plugin working in Ardour and Manjaro.

AT

Manjaro KDE 18.0.4
Ardour from AUR
Sitala (Converted DEB to Arch)
Manjaro KDE 18.0.4 - Ardour v5.12 - LMMS
Audio Interface - UMC204HD
raboof
Established Member

Re: Sitala drum plugin

Post by raboof »

autotech wrote:I recently switched to Manjaro KDE and Sitala no longer works in Ardour. It seems to load fine as stand alone and in Carla. However, in Carla patchbay in Ardour, it also crashes (seg fault). This is reproducible every time. If anyone has info on getting Sitala to work in Manjaro and Ardour, I'd appreciate the help. For my workflow, Sitala is much better than Hydrogen, and I would really like to get this plugin working in Ardour and Manjaro.

AT

Manjaro KDE 18.0.4
Ardour from AUR
Sitala (Converted DEB to Arch)
Thanks for the question! Since this is a bit of an exotic setup (using a 'converted' package), perhaps it would be best to make this a separate topic. I'll split.
raboof
Established Member

Re: Sitala drum plugin on Manjaro

Post by raboof »

(this topic was split off from viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19323)
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

You should file a bug report on Sitala's bug tracker, preferably with a backtrace or a core dump. This way ensures that the developer discovers about this bug much faster than if you post about it here.
My personal guess is that it's because you've got different glibc than Ubuntu. The one I have on KDE Neon (which is based on Ubuntu 18.04) is 2.27, Manjaro currently uses 2.29. The thing is that newer versions can be incompatible with older ones. Simply put, it needs to be compiled specifically for your library versions.
There are also things like that on Sitala's download page:
Please note, Sitala is still in beta and as such bugs are expected. Please contact us with any issues you encounter.
Note on Linux packages: We may release packages for other Linux distributions in the future, but at present this package is only tested and intended to work for Ubuntu LTS. It is still considered experimental and has not been run through the same battery of tests as our macOS and Windows packages. Let us know if you have any problems and / or which distributions you'd like to see packages for in the future.
You know what you should do. All of this above means that you can resolve it directly with the developer, who knows his own code the best. They can make an Arch package for you, and maybe even a public one.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
autotech
Established Member

Post by autotech »

Greetings,

I did contact the developer, however, their priority is Mac, Windows and Ubuntu. Not Arch. They did say that perhaps they might create a package for Arch, but definitely not any time soon. Too bad its not open. Either way, there's a few other drum plugins that work well. Sitala's quick sound shaping tools were very unique, but I'll have to pass on it for now. Unless of course, something gets done sooner, then perhaps we can get this thing ready for prime time.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the discussion and to those who split the topic. Hopefully this will help others who are jumping into Manjaro.

End result: Sitala works in Carla and in Stand Alone
Does not work as a plugin in Ardour

Cheers.

AT
Manjaro KDE 18.0.4 - Ardour v5.12 - LMMS
Audio Interface - UMC204HD
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Another data point: I used Sitala on a track in REAPER (AUR package reaper-bin) on Manjaro and it worked well.