Dragonfly Reverb 2.0.0

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

Dragonfly Reverb 2.0.0

Post by Michael Willis »

Dragonfly Reverb Version 2.0.0 is now official, and finally there is a proper landing page:

https://michaelwillis.github.io/dragonfly-reverb
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Dragonfly Reverb 2.0.0

Post by sysrqer »

Nice, thanks. Is there a changelog somewhere?
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

sysrqer wrote:Nice, thanks. Is there a changelog somewhere?
You can kind of view the releases page as a change log:

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... b/releases

I should probably make something better than that, though... A number of things listed in those beta releases were kind of experimental, some aren't around anymore, and it's not very easy to read through.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Michael Willis wrote:
sysrqer wrote:Nice, thanks. Is there a changelog somewhere?
You can kind of view the releases page as a change log:

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... b/releases

I should probably make something better than that, though... A number of things listed in those beta releases were kind of experimental, some aren't around anymore, and it's not very easy to read through.
Oh I see, I didn't look at the dates and thought the previous 1.9* and betas were releases for a the last v1 release and then v2 comes out of nowhere with no changelog :lol:
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Woo! Unfa just put up a showcase of Dragonfly Hall.

We have been corresponding for a couple of days, he said he might make one for Dragonfly Room as well.
AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

That's impressive! Thanks for sharing this ..

Now ... we need ... Dragonfly SHIMMER :D, which is dragonfly hall with a (configurable) pitch shifter in the L-R feedback path.
What do you think? 8)

Alberto
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Michael Willis wrote:Woo! Unfa just put up a showcase of Dragonfly Hall.

We have been corresponding for a couple of days, he said he might make one for Dragonfly Room as well.
Congratulations on the glowing review! My favorite quote from the video: "Because it's FREAKING AWESOME!"
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

milo wrote:Congratulations on the glowing review! My favorite quote from the video: "Because it's FREAKING AWESOME!"
Heh, thanks! His vocal demo had me nearly laughing my head off.

Another funny thing is when he was adjusting the reverb on the percussion, that part when he cuts the lows and highs short so that the mid frequencies echo out longer, and then he was swooning over the result -- I think at one point I considered constraining it so that you couldn't do that, because as he mentioned, sound doesn't really echo like that. Then I decided, whatever, if people want to do weird stuff like that...
AlbertoZ wrote:Now ... we need ... Dragonfly SHIMMER :D, which is dragonfly hall with a (configurable) pitch shifter in the L-R feedback path.
What do you think? 8)
* sigh * ... I keep telling myself that I need to wrap up this project and get back to making music, but plugin development is like Hotel California! You can never really leave! So yeah, per the suggestions of a few different people (including Unfa), I'm dreaming up a new plugin, the current code name in my head is "Dragonfly Nights", which would be for people who want more freedom to do crazy stuff with reverb, and aren't afraid of a much more complicated interface.

It's pretty vague right now, but the idea is a heavily modified Dragonfly Hall. The late algorithm in Dragonfly Hall is composed of several delay lines that get mixed together and then run through a number of filters (the filters are mostly the dials on the right side of the interface). Dragonfly Hall doesn't give you much control over each individual delay line, so I'm imagining a reverb plugin that has a set of dials for each delay, including some stuff that would allow for some really wacky effects, like noise, offset pitch, send level to the next delay, maybe some eq stuff per delay.

Ideally it would be flexible enough that some of the more exotic reverb effects would be possible, like spring reverb or shimmer. I have no idea how feasible this is, and I can't really make any promises since I'm doing this in between trying to raise a family and holding down a full time job, but it could be super fun to try.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I learned some things from his video. Cutting out the bass frequencies in the reverb on the kick drum and bass guitar is a good idea which I will definitely try. Anything that helps clear out the mud in the low frequencies is worth trying!
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

milo wrote:I learned some things from his video. Cutting out the bass frequencies in the reverb on the kick drum and bass guitar is a good idea which I will definitely try. Anything that helps clear out the mud in the low frequencies is worth trying!
Personally I never put reverb on kick and bass.
But I mainly do electronic music.

Also hpf all tracks but kick and bass. Up to around 150 - 200hz. That clears things up a lot.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

Michael Willis wrote:... he cuts the lows and highs short so that the mid frequencies echo out longer, and then he was swooning over the result -- I think at one point I considered constraining it so that you couldn't do that, because as he mentioned, sound doesn't really echo like that. Then I decided, whatever, if people want to do weird stuff like that...
Having effective LPFs that can "warm up" the reverb was reason enough for being able to cut the highs to that degree, in my opinion. And yeah lows plus reverb is tricky at best. This combination works great.

So anyway... GET TO WORK ON THE NEXT PLUGIN!!!

:D
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

the current code name in my head is "Dragonfly Nights",
Nice try :)
Let's go for "Dragonfly Night Hall Stories" :wink:
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

dunno if you saw this yet but pretty good review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnriLuJ ... ture=share
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Great works on dragon fly reverb....it's a fantastic plug in native for gnu linux system !!! Yesterday i have a test on little demo in debian buster and waveform 9 tracktion

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

gennargiu wrote:Great works on dragon fly reverb....it's a fantastic plug in native for gnu linux system !!!
Thanks Gennaro! I look forward to hearing music that you make with Dragonfly.