Audio programming environment in LV2 plugin?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Audio programming environment in LV2 plugin?

Post by Basslint »

Hello,

is there a audio programming environment which can be embedded as a LV2 plugin?

It's not a programming question - I want to be able to write my synths and effects in something like Pure Data and use them from my DAW without having to recompile the code to a LV2 plugin every time, just as you would tweak the knobs on a synth while you hear it play some stuff.

I know I can use JACK to achieve something similar but then it would not be as practical as a LV2 plugin :?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: Audio programming environment in LV2 plugin?

Post by CrocoDuck »

Hi!

It is not exactly what you are searching for probably, as it is a bit oriented towards DSP, but you can use the Faust programming language to write any sort of DSP algorithm, including any synth and effect you want, and compile it directly to LV2:

https://faustcloud.grame.fr/index.html

I am not sure what is available in the visual programming languages domain, like Pure Data, but this stuff looks promising:
Just to be sure, what do you mean by this:
Basslint wrote: It's not a programming question - I want to be able to write my synths and effects in something like Pure Data and use them from my DAW without having to recompile the code to a LV2 plugin every time, just as you would tweak the knobs on a synth while you hear it play some stuff.
Is it some kind of Pure Data (or similar) real-time environment that runs as an LV2 plugin that you are after?
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Thanks for the answers,
This is more about creating connections between LV2 plugins I think, and does not support audio ports.
This requires a compiling stage (via make).
This probably would work. I will check it out, thank you! :D
CrocoDuck wrote:Hi!

It is not exactly what you are searching for probably, as it is a bit oriented towards DSP, but you can use the Faust programming language to write any sort of DSP algorithm, including any synth and effect you want, and compile it directly to LV2:

https://faustcloud.grame.fr/index.html

I am not sure what is available in the visual programming languages domain, like Pure Data, but this stuff looks promising:
Just to be sure, what do you mean by this:
Basslint wrote: It's not a programming question - I want to be able to write my synths and effects in something like Pure Data and use them from my DAW without having to recompile the code to a LV2 plugin every time, just as you would tweak the knobs on a synth while you hear it play some stuff.
Is it some kind of Pure Data (or similar) real-time environment that runs as an LV2 plugin that you are after?
I know about FAUST, in fact it's the one I wanted to use! :D It has an option to compile FAUST source code as a LV2 plugin but I did really find a way to embed FAUST itself as a LV2 plugin!

In short, I'd like something which can let me load a script as a LV2 plugin and update it while I edit it (kind of like live coding), without having to recompile and reload it every time I modify something.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
ventosus
Established Member

Post by ventosus »

A FAUST JIT compiler in LV2 has long been on my ToDo list.

Since today, there exists such a plugin [1].

It is in an early stage, with rudimentary support for controls, but is already usable to write simple mono/stereo filters. Feel free to try out and give feedback (preferably by mail, as I rarely visit this forum).

[1] https://git.open-music-kontrollers.ch/lv2/mephisto.lv2/