Percussion Synthesizer

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Kott
Established Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby Kott » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:45 pm

Situation with VST2 is not pretty well.
You cannot distribute VST2 binaries if you haven't agreement with Steinberg, that agreement was available until November 2018 iirc.
Of course You can share your code (without VST2 SDK), which anyone "who has agreement" can compile against VST2 SDK.

Many windows DAWs supports VST3 now. In Linux there only Reaper and Bitwig and only u-he plugins works with VST3.

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Kott wrote:Situation with VST2 is not pretty well.
You cannot distribute VST2 binaries if you haven't agreement with Steinberg, that agreement was available until November 2018 iirc.
Of course You can share your code (without VST2 SDK), which anyone "who has agreement" can compile against VST2 SDK.

Many windows DAWs supports VST3 now. In Linux there only Reaper and Bitwig and only u-he plugins works with VST3.


Ok, thank you. :) I'll check this. But I feel probably I'll keep my original plan, to have a bottom line for technologies I am going to use. So, with VST3, and leave VST2 in history. I want to develop another plugin, and I think I'll need to point to future.

For VST3 probably the idea of Steinberg is to get permission if you want to distribute proprietary plugins/hosts. If you release under GPL than you can distribute and sell your plugins. If is not like this, than I will not develop any VST.

Update: From here I see it is dual license https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vst3s ... ICENSE.txt, so, you can distribute and sell VST3 plugins/hosts if you release them under GPL.

Kott
Established Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby Kott » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:31 am

iurie wrote:Update: From here I see it is dual license https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vst3s ... ICENSE.txt, so, you can distribute and sell VST3 plugins/hosts if you release them under GPL.

That's right.
Maybe You'll be first who made opensource VST3 Synth for Linux :)
(The Surge compiles in VST3 but doesn't loads)

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:31 am

Kott wrote:Maybe You'll be first who made opensource VST3 Synth for Linux :)
(The Surge compiles in VST3 but doesn't loads)


VST3 SDK for GNU/Linux is in beta, but I'll see. Anyway, the code shuld be similar.

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby jonetsu » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm

Kott wrote:Situation with VST2 is not pretty well. You cannot distribute VST2 binaries if you haven't agreement with Steinberg, that agreement was available until November 2018 iirc.


That's what I thought I heard at one point. So there's no choice for plugins started developing after November.

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby jonetsu » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:19 pm

About VST2/3, I asked Vojtech Melda Meluzzin, of Melda Production (more than a hundred plugins developed to date) and his answer is that the VST2 SDK is part of the VST3 SDK.

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:54 pm

jonetsu wrote:About VST2/3, I asked Vojtech Melda Meluzzin, of Melda Production (more than a hundred plugins developed to date) and his answer is that the VST2 SDK is part of the VST3 SDK.


VST2 SDK will be removed from there with time, no more maintained and it is not under GPL, point 2 of FAQ - https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?t=286

quote: "all VST2 files (pluginterfaces and public.sdk folders) are under the "Proprietary Steinberg VST3" License"

jonetsu
Established Member
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby jonetsu » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:33 pm

iurie wrote: VST2 SDK will be removed from there with time, no more maintained and it is not under GPL, point 2 of FAQ - https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?t=286

quote: "all VST2 files (pluginterfaces and public.sdk folders) are under the "Proprietary Steinberg VST3" License"


Hmmm yes, was any of Steinberg VST made with their mandatory SDK GPL ? I don't think so. It means that not being under the GPL is rather meaningless when one wants to develop a Steinberg-based application, no ?

However, it might also mean that when one gets the VST3 SDK, and gets into the proper agreement with Steinberg, that the VST2 SDK is also included, which would allow (for some time) the production of VST2 applications.

That VST2 will be eventually replaced by VST3 is a certainty. The nature of comments about current use of VST2 is in the range of the interim time before it is made completley obsolete. For instance, I did not know before Vojtech's reply that the VST2 SDK was still available, inside the VST3 SDK.


Return to “Plugins, Effects and Instruments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Michael Willis and 2 guests