Binaural convolution plugin?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Binaural convolution plugin?

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Hi

Back when I recorded on a mac OX9 machine (pre-2004), I used an interesting free processing program called SoundHack, which had a binaural processing feature, with which I could process a mono sound signal to sound as if it came from anywhere 360 degrees round the head. It also had a feature where you could draw a graph of the position, so it could move the sound around your head over time - a feature I used to have a vocoded voice circle around.
This was not a panning tool, but it would process different frequencies in different ways, with respect to both volume difference and delay, so it was much more like a simulator of a binaural microphone. The result was very convincing indeed, and it is one of those tools that I really miss.

So... in short, my question is, is there an equivalent plugin available for Linux?

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: Binaural convolution plugin?

Post by CrocoDuck »

What you are searching for is a plugin with HRTF (Head Related Transfer Functions) convolution. There is one included in the Zam plugins suite, see ZamHeadX2. I wasn't quite satisfied when I last tried it, and the author was not too. Not sure whether it was improved in the meanwhile. You could also find this interesting: viewtopic.php?t=14354.

By the way, I did a quick search about open source HRTF databases or libraries, and I did found this HOT stuff that maybe some day I will try to turn into a plugin, or maybe some else more skilled will:

http://mesh2hrtf.sourceforge.net/

EDIT:

I found a list of ambisonic stuff on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... c_software