harrison plugins within kxstudio/ardour

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

episteme
Established Member

harrison plugins within kxstudio/ardour

Post by episteme »

hello,

Harrison had a recent "what's in the box" promotion for their lv2 plugins and I took the bait and procured licenses.
I placed the licenses in my home directory.

Are the binary for the plugins in the version of ardour from kxstudio ppa? or is there a separate download to obtain the Harrison plugins?
lilith
Established Member

Re: harrison plugins within kxstudio/ardour

Post by lilith »

The Harrison plugins only come with ARDOUR or with MIXBUS. They are located in /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/lib/LV2 in case of ARDOUR.
Does this answer your question?
episteme
Established Member

Post by episteme »

thanks, its relevant, but I'm still only seeing the community plugins .. "a-eq.lv2" and "a-fludisynth.lv2" for example.
I downloaded the tar file from ardour and just compiled it.. is there specific waf switches to compile the harrison plugins?

I found an older URL - http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/ ... lv2s.zip but not sure if these are the latest and greatest binaries ?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I just talked to rgareus from Ardour. The plugins are included in the binary bundles from ardour.org (https://ardour.org/download.html) as they are closed source. You can also ask Ben from Harrison to get support.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I run the VST version of the Harrison plugins, in Bitwig. Runs OK. Can't say that I'm using them frequently though, what with the choice available.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

jonetsu wrote:I run the VST version of the Harrison plugins, in Bitwig. Runs OK. Can't say that I'm using them frequently though, what with the choice available.
You mean the AVA plugins?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

lilith wrote: You mean the AVA plugins?
Oh no. These do not run well in the system I have. I soon gave up on them.

Just the VST version of the Harrison plugins. As such I do not care much for the AVA line as the VST version runs OK. Not perfect, but OK. At least for what I do with some of them.
bitwig-XT-DC.jpg
bitwig-XT-DC.jpg (156.94 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
episteme
Established Member

Post by episteme »

Thanks, yes, I can see them in the path in the binary distribution from Ardour website. cheers
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

@jonetsu

Can you elaborate what you mean by the VST versions of the Harrison plugins? I though they were only available in LV2 format pre-bundled with Mixbus (the new AVA line is an exception, but you said you weren't using those). When I purchased them, the only things I downloaded were the licenses. Are you using x42's 'lv2vst' to open them in Bitwig?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

They work great with lv2vst, yes. But if you use them like this there's no official support from Mixbus as they are intented to be used as LV2 with Mixbus / Ardour only.

Anyway... the wrapped version works in any other DAW.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I do not know about lv2vst. The VST version I use might have lv2vst behind it. It's a single .so file with a .lv2 hidden directory. Ask Robin about it. The plugins can work with any DAW. It just so happens that they are lv2 only in their original form. Is there any other DAW in Linux that uses lv2 than Ardour/Mixbus ? If so, they could be using those plugins I think (don't quote me).

As for support, well, I found a bug and Robin corrected it. There's no Harrison support but then those plugins are simple in their functionnailty (and that's a user feature of those plugins) so it's not like they will generate a lot of support requests.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

@jonetsu

May I ask what was the bug and on which plugin(s) and about when was it, just in case Id have to download and update the ones I have here? :-)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Loki, I do not remember precisely at the moment. It had to do with a parameter and it's range and it would be with the XT-DC. The parameter could not go to its full range. The fix was in a config file for that plugin if I remember well. Sorry for not having more details.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I also found some bugs which were fixed by Robin quickly. One was a not working button in the GVerb and a non working LED in the soft compressor. Sometimes there are also GUI problems with the Multiband Compressor. Reloading the plugin makes it working again.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

If I would use them more often I guess I would have stumbled on those bugs also. As far as reverbs are concerned, the CSR room and hall, as well as MTurboReverb and MConvolutionReverb have all my attention.