Windows vst routing for dummy humans

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Drcianuro
Established Member

Windows vst routing for dummy humans

Post by Drcianuro »

Hellow, i could run a bunch of win vst native plugins with festige, 32 bits at least, and now the issue is just routing to each track.
I swear iv been seeking several time around google and here.

Being more specific, i can do route from the plugin to the master with patchbay but i cannot see the individual tracks on my daw.

I use native Reaper. My favourite one, ideal for me and could be a very happy way to get rid of windows because thats almost the only thing i miss from win just all that free plugins.

Another doubt is if its possible to reach the same order in linux than in native reaper for example:
It is possible to put a native linus reaper plugin and after a win one and later another win one, or just use the win first and then the native ones ?

Thanks for reading this !!!!!
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Windows vst routing for dummy humans

Post by tavasti »

I would guess problem is with reaper, and similar problem exists with lmms. From Mixbus and Ardour, all tracks, busses, and what ever are own jack ports, and can be routed however we want.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Drcianuro
Established Member

Post by Drcianuro »

Carla does'nt recognize any windows plugins i cannot get the carla discovery win64 or 32, i only get the native linux ones.
I use Deepin 15.7 and tried to install the missing stuff using synaptic but even finding a bunch of packages clearly called carla win 64 (clear in the synaptic not in my mind right now sorry :roll: )nothing happens refreshing again.

If its a distro issue or its easier change to ubuntu studio i would do it anythinh huge in the ssd right now.

Change to ardour is interesting but even better keep in reaper i cause i know that daw very well.

What wrapper plugin exactely means? I understood its related to routing as what i asked but what exactly is ? To follow better your help.

And thank u so much for helping me
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

This sounds so complicated. This is why I waited for some time before trying to run Windows plugins: it sounded so complicated, with much time spent on trying to make it work and incredibly long messages about workarounds.

Luckily I can now run easily all plugins from Rob Papen, Voxengo, Melda Production, IK Multimedia, many from Tone2, many from Image Line, and just spend time making music instead of trying to get it to work in one way or another.

Disclaimer: I do not run Windows and as such I do not have a legacy of plugins that have to be run in Linux. It means that when I try a plugin demo, if it runs then good, if it doesn't I simply forget about it.

I use wine-staging and linvst and use Bitwig for creating and Mixbus32C for mixing.

Cheers.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Well, if I have to I can search for many posts on many forum sites regarding people having trouble running Windows plugins in Linux, the complications thereof, and copy them here, although I think it's pretty clear that at least there were many problems in running Windows plugins in Linux using all conceivable approaches, which should by now entirely all be a thing of the past.

That's of course in a general way. If we go plugin-by-plugin then there will be some problems here and there. Nonetheless I'm satisfied with the ones I do run and have a lot to learn about them and their capabilities for the upcoming two years.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

My personal observation is that googling anything about audio on Linux throws up a long list of outdated advice & irrelevant information, and is enough all on it's own to be discouraging..:S

On the other hand Linux audio has steadily advanced and just gotten better and better and mostly works without issues (maybe depending on the distro). This in all aspects, not just the one of using Windows plugins in a Linux host.

Though there remains a few areas we're we really could do better..:)
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

This said, I have no idea what the OP is referring to with 'routing'. From my side, I put Windows plugins on a track, and that's it. Routing audio and tracks is part of the DAW and has not much to do with plugins, exception made of course of the plugins that have many audio outputs which I guess could be considered as 'routing' since each output sits on a track of its own.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

falkTX wrote: No, this will never be the case. The fact that most work is a great thing, but it will never be a solved problem.
Indeed, and this is why I stick with what works and do not try to make work things that do not. If that makes sense. Eg. if a plugin uses iLok or some other protection scheme that makes it fail at first try of a demo, I will not go out of my way to make it work.

Despite the changes in Windows I think that well-designed, well-structured plugins that keeps it simple and to the point have a better chance in running under Linux. As with any other applications, there are developer/designer trends with the latest technologies and their followers and there are developers/designers that also question "do I really need that in my application ?" before jumping into a bandwagon. The latter tend to produce the more stable softwares.
Drcianuro
Established Member

Post by Drcianuro »

I activated experimental features, and it seems the bridge seems to be still missing. Avalaible tools are only some native ones as you can see in the picture. It seems that in ubuntu there is some trouble about carla and kx repos since 18.04 toomuch new now. And deepin is now based on debian but ti seems to be something simillar too much new.

And i would appreciate leaving the discussion for after the issue will be solved, but this told in a nutshell its so simple like that:

wine cala, great stuff i think its even something magic.
troubles for when its opened dont know how to route just spoil all the fun. it seems hard to believe that is so complicated to make it easy for the user, it must be easy otherwise becomes not competitive with windows or mac in this aspect.

Both things are just truth.

And thanks for helping again.
Attachments
carla screenshot bridge not avalaible.png
carla screenshot bridge not avalaible.png (122.92 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
Drcianuro
Established Member

Post by Drcianuro »

Sorry for the delay answering, i didnt see the experimental tab even being big :oops:

Now it happens this:
I can see my windows plugins scanned when it is scaning but not in the results, i've been searching one per one, and in the search tab and nothing there.
I got the winvst folder on my desktop and added to the dssi paths.

I guess this is the last thing i need !!! Thanks again.
Drcianuro
Established Member

Post by Drcianuro »

Here are the logs:
Maybe some plugins are in duplicated folders, knowing it doesnt use to be a good thing...

======= Starting engine =======
======= Engine started ========
Carla engine started, details:
Driver name: JACK
Sample rate: 48000.0
Process mode: Multi client
carla-discovery::warning::Plugin 'Decimator' is not hard real-time capable - /usr/lib/ladspa/decimator_1202.so
carla-discovery::warning::Plugin 'Delayorama' is not hard real-time capable - /usr/lib/ladspa/delayorama_1402.so
carla-discovery::error::Binary doesn't contain any plugins - /usr/lib/ladspa/dssi-vst.so
carla-discovery::warning::Plugin 'Fractionally Addressed Delay Line' is not hard real-time capable - /usr/lib/ladspa/fad_delay_1192.so
carla-discovery::warning::Plugin 'GSM simulator' is not hard real-time capable - /usr/lib/ladspa/gsm_1215.so
carla-discovery::warning::Plugin 'Impulse convolver' is not hard real-time capable - /usr/lib/ladspa/imp_1199.so
carla-discovery::warning::Plugin 'Multivoice Chorus' is not hard real-time capable - /usr/lib/ladspa/multivoice_chorus_1201.so
carla-discovery::warning::Plugin 'Signal sifter' is not hard real-time capable - /usr/lib/ladspa/sifter_1210.so
carla-discovery::warning::Plugin 'Tape Delay Simulation' is not hard real-time capable - /usr/lib/ladspa/tape_delay_1211.so
carla-discovery::error::Binary doesn't contain any plugins - /usr/lib/dssi/dssi-vst.so
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/AXP Flextron.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/CaliforniaSun.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Chorus+.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Deep Crunch.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Dust Bucket.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Emissary.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Flanga.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Heavy Tone.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Le456.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/NRR-1.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/NadIR.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Nick_Crow_8505_Lead_v1.01.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Plusdistortion.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Poulin_LeCab2_Rev1.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/Preampus Metal Razor 1.01 RC6 FINAL.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/PulseModulator.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/.wine/drive_c/VST PLUGINS/TSE_808_2.0.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/AXP Flextron.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/CaliforniaSun.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/Chorus+.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/Deep Crunch.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/Dust Bucket.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/Emissary.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/Flanga.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/Heavy Tone.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/Le456.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/NRR-1.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/NadIR.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/Nick_Crow_8505_Lead_v1.01.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/Plusdistortion.dll
carla-discovery::error::Not a DSSI plugin - /home/mani/Desktop/Nueva carpeta/Poulin_LeCab2_Rev1.dll
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

You should add them to the vst path, not SSSI.
Drcianuro
Established Member

Post by Drcianuro »

Solved, everything works, but the solution passed trhough install ubuntu studio, deepin gave some trouble with some packages and get tired of it. Sorry for de delay.

Thanks a lot for helping.

Just say a thought, if using plugins and also windows plugins could be so easy as 1 click and done without losing the posibility of use jack then thousands of users will come to linux in a fast lapse of time. im sure.

See u.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Drcianuro wrote: Just say a thought, if using plugins and also windows plugins could be so easy as 1 click and done without losing the posibility of use jack then thousands of users will come to linux in a fast lapse of time. im sure.
As I mentioned, for me it basically is.

It is by reading the problems like expressed here, over and over again, that I waited such a long time before trying it out. When I make music I want to make music, not software. A little bit of tuning and putting things together is OK and needed, but not spending hours on trying to make something work and finding workarounds and writing problem description on forums.

So one day I decided upon what seemed to be the simplest solution that would allow me to make music and picked up linvst, with wine-staging. These two seemed to be deleiver the most straightforward solution.

Like, no need to ask about Windows vst routing for dummy humans and that was a 100+ feature that would allow me to make music.

Eg. launch a Windows plugin, put it on a trackm use it. Like every other plugin. Rinse and repeat.

And it turned out that linvst delivered exactly that. My wallet can tell you how much it works.

So yes, it is a 1-click thing after install.

And I'm glad for that.

Now there other part is getting to know and use creatively those new plugins.

Disclaimer One: as I mentioned before I do not run Windows. So I do not have a legacy of plugins that must be made to work. No such thing. When I try a Windows plugin demo, if it runs, fine, if it crashes and do not run then I forget about it.

Disclaimer Two: Yes, on a plugin-by-plugin basis it is possible to find some problems here and there with some plugins, but 1) nothing major preventing creation and 2) the percentage of such problems is very low all things considered.
Drcianuro
Established Member

Post by Drcianuro »

Jonetsu, thank u very much for the acknolowdgement, finally i reached a bunch of plugins i love working under linvst, and easilly load inside reaper, just one click after all. I didnt knew what exactlly was linvst a little bit of work and documentation made the magic, and win vsts work even better to me.

I was too much lost about a few things so even the post should be tittled "tell me options to do this" or whatever.

I know for usual linux fellas and developers must be sometimes bothering read things like "why is not like this or like that" and sounds like "world is terrible and u are the guilty", so i insist all that stuff, wine, carla, linvst it is cool i say honestly. Maybe the spreaded information is the thing make sometimes to users and newbies got sometimes a hell sensation in some points of learning the how to.

Thanks for all the help to everybody.