Ardour not showing a VSTi

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

d.healey
Established Member

Ardour not showing a VSTi

Post by d.healey »

I have a native linux VSTi (.so file). I have set the path correctly in ardour (there are other plugins which it does show) and when I click scan for plugins I can briefly see the name of the plugin flash by as it scans. For some reason though when I add a new MIDI track my plugin isn't available in the list of options and it doesn't show up in the plugin manager either. The plugin does work fine though in Qtractor, Bitwig, and Reaper. Any ideas?

I've uploaded the plugin here - http://www.filedropper.com/testpluginso - in case you'd like to test it. It's a test plugin I've made for a project I'm working on, it consists of just a slider.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Ardour not showing a VSTi

Post by sysrqer »

Did you look in the log after scanning?
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

sysrqer wrote:Did you look in the log after scanning?
Thanks for the reply, I forgot to subscribe to the thread so only just noticed it! I didn't know there was a log, but I have just looked at it and the plugins for some reason are blacklisted (even Carla). It's strange because the same plugins work fine in Reaper. I'll google it.
David Healey
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

d.healey wrote:
sysrqer wrote:Did you look in the log after scanning?
Thanks for the reply, I forgot to subscribe to the thread so only just noticed it! I didn't know there was a log, but I have just looked at it and the plugins for some reason are blacklisted (even Carla). It's strange because the same plugins work fine in Reaper. I'll google it.
If you click on the top right icon with a red light it will show the log when doing scans and stuff, can be helpful.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Well I just found something on the Ardour forum about plugins compiled with certain JUCE settings being blacklisted, so I recompiled my plugin with that setting disabled and now it works in Ardour - Hurray!! But carla is still blacklisted... :(
David Healey
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I'm a little bit late to this conversation, but this still might help while you are developing your plugin. While working on Dragonfly Reverb, I found that I would get more information by launching Ardour from the terminal. I was able to make my plugin print debug information to stdout. It also seemed like Ardour itself sends more details to stdout/stderr than it does in its graphical log.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Michael Willis wrote:I'm a little bit late to this conversation, but this still might help while you are developing your plugin. While working on Dragonfly Reverb, I found that I would get more information by launching Ardour from the terminal. I was able to make my plugin print debug information to stdout. It also seemed like Ardour itself sends more details to stdout/stderr than it does in its graphical log.
Good tip! I'll keep it in mind.
David Healey