Carla and Sforzando

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

end117
Established Member

Carla and Sforzando

Post by end117 »

Hi guy

I'm tryng to use Sforzando (soundfonts player) with Carla plugin host under Kxstudio (new installation)

I installed wine, wine-git, carla-bridge-wine64 and Sforzando with wine

In Carla I set the path where Sforzando is installed ....after a rescan I can find Sforzando in the list of plugin in Carla, but if I try to open it I have this error:
Failed to load plugin
Timeout while waiting for a response from plugin-bridge (or the plugin crashed on initialization?)

If I try to open Sforzando directly from de .exe, it works fine and I can load the soundfonts and hear the sond of it

what can i do?
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Carla and Sforzando

Post by jonetsu »

While this does not relate to the problem you see, I tried Sforzando yesterday and it loaded fine using only wine-staging and linVST. Linux MInt 18 KDE. tried in latest Bitwig and Mixbus32C.

I got a free saxophone sfz from Plogue and tried to load what looks like a sforzando file and it was missing stuff. The problem in this cas is with the user as I'm totally unaware of how the directory structure (hardcoded ?) for sfz files works and what should be loaded.

Cheers.
end117
Established Member

Post by end117 »

Thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately I'm not using Bitwig and I can't buy it...

Maybe i can try with linvst? Is it available only in Mixbus or can I install it for Ardour?

Have someone else any advice?

Can I try other plugins instead Sforzando?
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

end117 wrote:Thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately I'm not using Bitwig and I can't buy it...

Maybe i can try with linvst? Is it available only in Mixbus or can I install it for Ardour?

Have someone else any advice?

Can I try other plugins instead Sforzando?
Yes, you can try LinVst, it's for any Linux Daw.

There are binaries on the LinVst github releases page.

I've tested Sforzando and it seems to work ok.

Carla should work but if it doesn't for some reason then you could try LinVst just for Sforzando and maybe some others.
end117
Established Member

Post by end117 »

....after a couple of hours spent tryng to install linvst....now Sforzando is working fine inside Ardour

tnx for the advices!!!

M.