LinVST

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

alex stone
Established Member

LinVST

Post by alex stone »

I've been trying the linvst version in AV linux with limited success. I get to 16 loaded instances of Kontakt .so in Reaper, then it freezes.

Is this an arbitrary limit, or is linserver simply overworked, and not designed for what i'm doing?
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Re: LinVST

Post by ubuntuuser »

No limit as far as I know but it might depend on what is loaded into the Kontakt instances and the hardware memory.

I think I've had 20 instances of FM8 and it was ok.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

I've got 64GB of Ram. I know Wine will only allow me to use half of that (an adventure that needs no retelling), but i'm on 22GB when the lin server freezes.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

I've just loaded around 30 instances of Kontakt in Reaper and it seems ok.

Maybe try the LinVst version on the github release page.

k.png
k.png (127.61 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

I'm using the version in AV linux, so you may be onto something. It might be too old. Thanks for replying.

Alex
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

alex stone wrote:I've got 64GB of Ram. I know Wine will only allow me to use half of that (an adventure that needs no retelling), but i'm on 22GB when the lin server freezes.
What version of wine, is it this bug? http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39885
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

It's 2.1 wine-staging i think, i'm not in front of the audio box at the moment. it's installed as default in AV Linux 4.2018.

Alex.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

alex stone wrote:It's 2.1 wine-staging i think, i'm not in front of the audio box at the moment. it's installed as default in AV Linux 4.2018.

Alex.
Maybe try a later version then, the latest is 3.7. This bug was supposedly fixed in wine 2.17.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

yep, i think you're right.

Alex/
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I started to use linVST recently. So far I load plugins in DAWs directly. I use Linux Mint 18 KDE (Ubuntu based). I see that depending on the DAW, plugins can behave differently. A unified way of loading plugins that would apply to all DAWs, which I think is what Carla is about, which also works OK with all plugins, it could be more practical. Is there an up-to-date Carla package around in deb format I could install ?

Regarding Kontakt, is that the latest version ? Is it a registered version and if so how is the licensing handled ?

Cheers.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:I started to use linVST recently. So far I load plugins in DAWs directly. I use Linux Mint 18 KDE (Ubuntu based). I see that depending on the DAW, plugins can behave differently. A unified way of loading plugins that would apply to all DAWs, which I think is what Carla is about, which also works OK with all plugins, it could be more practical. Is there an up-to-date Carla package around in deb format I could install ?

Regarding Kontakt, is that the latest version ? Is it a registered version and if so how is the licensing handled ?

Cheers.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16620&p=92399#p92399