dssi (Zyn) VS. standalone synths

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fretski
Established Member

dssi (Zyn) VS. standalone synths

Post by fretski »

I've been using the Zyn dssi (ZASF) with rosegarden but ran into trouble with it there as well as in Ardour. So when I asked around in the Ardour chatroom one reply was to just forget about dssi's as they were being 'phased out' and to use the standalone synth instead ..which means a lot more work however.

Any qualified opinions about this?
bluebell
Established Member

Re: dssi (Zyn) VS. standalone synths

Post by bluebell »

fretski wrote:I've been using the Zyn dssi (ZASF) with rosegarden but ran into trouble with it there as well as in Ardour. So when I asked around in the Ardour chatroom one reply was to just forget about dssi's as they were being 'phased out' and to use the standalone synth instead ..which means a lot more work however.

Use Zyn as LV2 plugin.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

bluebell wrote:
fretski wrote:I've been using the Zyn dssi (ZASF) with rosegarden but ran into trouble with it there as well as in Ardour. So when I asked around in the Ardour chatroom one reply was to just forget about dssi's as they were being 'phased out' and to use the standalone synth instead ..which means a lot more work however.

Use Zyn as LV2 plugin.
I don't think lv2 is supported in Rosegarden, if so I have no idea how to use it. As far as the standalone Zyn it doesn't remember paths so to load a config file from 10 deep in the tree for each of maybe 6 or 9 instances I find myself clicking path dialogues for an hour before getting to do any music :-) With dssi's it's a piece of cake, everything is stored by rosegraden with the Rg file.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

No, Rosegarden doesn't support LV2, nor indeed jack MIDI. I have requested these be implemented in the past, but like many projects it suffers from having only a very few part-time devs. I get the impression that none of them use LV2.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

fretski wrote:
bluebell wrote:

Use Zyn as LV2 plugin.
I don't think lv2 is supported in Rosegarden, if so I have no idea how to use it. As far as the standalone Zyn it doesn't remember paths so to load a config file from 10 deep in the tree for each of maybe 6 or 9 instances I find myself clicking path dialogues for an hour before getting to do any music :-) With dssi's it's a piece of cake, everything is stored by rosegraden with the Rg file.
You're right. I missed the point that you use Rosegarden. When I used Rosegarden the DSSI-version of Zyn lacked the pad synth.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

bluebell wrote:
fretski wrote:
bluebell wrote:
Use Zyn as LV2 plugin.
You're right. I missed the point that you use Rosegarden. When I used Rosegarden the DSSI-version of Zyn lacked the pad synth.
When i first started with Rosegarden/Zyn-dssi there were maybe 450 instruments, now they're up to 1100+ but we must never stop looking. I had noticed for example that a final mix of executed midi and audio sounded much better in Rosegarden replay with an audio file in there then it did with audacity. And now that I have just tinkered with Ardour half a day i find that it delivers superior sound. No idea why, maybe seamless filtering of some sort. This is the sort of info i was after with OP, so far I find no difference in sound between dssi zyn or standalone. Dssi is just far less work overhead.