Voxengo free plugin with wine-staging ?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Voxengo free plugin with wine-staging ?

Post by jonetsu »

Hello,

I'm new to this. Anyone knows about how to make a voxengo free plugin work using the current wine-staging ? I just installed wine-staging for Linux Mint 18, no problems, then I downloaded a free Voxengo plugin, the Overtone GEQ which also installed correctly. In the Program Files on the C drive in the Voxengo directory there are no .dll or .exe for a plugin. So how to run it and, when it runs, how to use it within Ardour ?

Just in case, a link to the free plugin:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/overtonegeq/
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Voxengo free plugin with wine-staging ?

Post by sysrqer »

Choose vst option when you install it
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

It turns out that the .dll on drive_c is in ../Common Files/Steinberg/VST/Voxengo

So now the 2nd part:

So how to run it and, when it runs, how to use it within Ardour ? Looks like airwave is a simple choice. I got the airwave-master, and then at compilation time:

Code: Select all

In file included from /Share/src/airwave-master/src/host/host.cpp:1:0:
/Share/src/airwave-master/src/host/host.h:7:34: fatal error: wine/windows/windows.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
winegcc: g++ failed
% dpkg -L wine-staging | grep "*.h"

There's no such file included in wine-staging. Nor in this one that was also installed as part of wine-staging:

% dpkg -L wine64-development | grep *.h

Where would that windows.h file come from ? Does the wine-staging sources need to be built ?
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

I have tested some Voxengo plugins with LinVst (Voxengo Boogex Guitar Effects etc), I don't know about compiling Airwave (maybe have a look at the Airwave github issues section) but I think windows.h is in the below (I have make details for 64/32 bit LinVst on the LinVst github page).

I've got -I/usr/include/wine-development/windows in the LinVst makefiles

windows.h is in https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd ... v/filelist

Wine libwine development files.

For Ubuntu/Debian, sudo apt-get install libwine-development-dev (for Ubuntu 14.04 it's sudo apt-get install wine1.8 and sudo apt-get install wine1.8-dev)

wine-devel packages for other distros (sudo apt-get install wine-devel).

------------

Basically, LinVst and Airwave use linux vst files (files ending with .so) to load and run the windows vst dll files using wine.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

The latest carla can load windows plugins and export them as lv2.
Easiest option so far.
Look in the settings for 'enable experimental features'.

Btw, no need to compile airwave, there are deb packages under the 'releases' tab on he github page.
https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave/releases
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks for the replies ! It's becoming clear. The idea is pretty good, to make the .dll "appear" (wrapped) as .so for Linux DAWs. Still haven't got it to work yet, although I read the replies just now, so I will try. If the wrapping is static, present in the file system, like a new .so perhaps, then I can end up storing and symlinking those as for the regular Linux VST plugins. I prefer to go VST because I also use Bitwig.

Cheers.

Forgot. rghvdberg, about the deb airwave packages, the latest 1.3.3 hasn't changed since 2016 ?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I would advise against airwave, it believe it is more or less abandoned and has some stability problems. Linvst is very good, 99% of plugins I've tried work well and you don't need to mess around with symlinking, just set your DAW to look in the plugin directory you installed the plugin to. It can also scan and convert recursively so it takes a couple of seconds to do your whole collection. The info page looks long and complicated but basically it's a case of running the convert tree tool, selecting your vst directory and pressing convert/run. Then add the location to your vst path http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Linux ... es_plugins and rescan.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

All right. Is linvst a static type of thing or does it need to run as a process when using the DAW ?

Also, do you know of any deb packages for linvst ?
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Anything that runs windows vsts on linux will include more processes.. At the least you will have the wineserver/helper processes running, and a process that runs the windows code in wine.

My vote also goes to LinVst, or possibly Carla..
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

jonetsu wrote:All right. Is linvst a static type of thing or does it need to run as a process when using the DAW ?

As Jack Winter said, it's not something you need to run manually after it is set up but there will be processes running when you use the plugins.

Not sure about packages. I don't think it needs one, you just need to copy a couple of files in to /usr/bin, and then run the converter, that's it.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:All right. Is linvst a static type of thing or does it need to run as a process when using the DAW ?

Just say the vst's dll name is delay.dll, then the linvst.so file (which is a template) is renamed to delay.so and then loaded into Bitwig or whatever, but the delay.so and delay.dll files need to be together in a folder or whatever.

Seeing that all of the renaming is tedious there is a gtk util that can rename vst's (in a folder) automatically.

Also there is the server part of linvst and that needs to be put into /usr/bin (lin-vst-server files).

I don't know about deb packages but I do have debian and ubuntu binaries on the github release page.

Wine has come a long way even recently and it can run a lot of windows plugins but some might have some troubles especially ones that use d2d1.dll which is not yet complete in wine.

Just recently I've been able to get the Waves plugins to run and the Waves Central reg and also Native Access for Kontakt etc

Carla and Airwave, I don't know much about how to use them but they can also handle windows vst's.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Actually,

I just did a chapter on this stuff for the AV Linux manual dealing with Carla and LinVST, pages 102-106

http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2018UserManual.pdf
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Got it working using LinVST as it seems the simplest solution. Thanks for all the help. Glen, that section of the AV Linux manual, the only one I read, is very well written. Clear, to the point.
voxengo.jpg
voxengo.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@jonetsu,

Glad you got it working, I very stupidly forgot to mention that I have a Deb package for LinVST 1.7.6, but it appears you got it working with the binaries.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

No, I compiled it. Looks like I picked up by coincidence a first plugin that works well since I've tried a few others from the free Voxengo collection and they do not load in Bitwig, at least yet. Bitwig complains that the plugin takes too much time. I tried them all at first so now I removed them and am adding them one by one.

I saw that LinVST's readme file mentions quite a series of parameter adjustments, depending on plugins. I did nothing of that so far.

Here's the Old Skool Verb in Mixbus:
voxengo2.jpg
voxengo2.jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 1954 times