any Voice Changer plugin?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

midish
Established Member

any Voice Changer plugin?

Post by midish »

This is for a specific kind of music I'm working on. Something like a fantasy voice.
I'm not sure if there's a subforum for gear recommendation cuz I'm also looking for a piece of hardware.
In my research I found a few -really few- devices than kinda get close to what I'm looking for (roland vt-3 for example) but they're mostly for time processing and pitch.
I've tried a few vocoder plugins on ardour and the effects you can achieve are there but what I'm noticed is that the intelligibility is terrible it becomes muddy... or maybe I'm doing it partially wrong. What are your experiences with this method?
Also, do you know from experience a voice changer device that actually focuses on synth rather than the typical concert type reverb, delay, pitch, harmonies?
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: any Voice Changer plugin?

Post by sysrqer »

To improve intelligibility you could try layering the Fx, have them on a duplicated track and blend in the original, eqing either or both to make them fit. When the original is tucked just under the effected channel, perhaps with the upper mids boosted the clarity of the words etc should be better.

I'm not really sure what you are looking for though so it's hard to say much more. There are lots of ways to create nice or crazy vocal FX.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

This reminds me of a rather relevant task I was gonna try (sorry for hijacking). Recreating the Dalek 'Exterminate' sound, any ideas on choice of effects? :)
MusE DAW
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

midish wrote:I've tried a few vocoder plugins on ardour and the effects you can achieve are there but what I'm noticed is that the intelligibility is terrible it becomes muddy... or maybe I'm doing it partially wrong. What are your experiences with this method?
I am not really a vocoder expert, but maybe your carrier signal has not a rich enough spectrum. This video about vocoder is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqiEHQL7ilk
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

spamatica wrote:This reminds me of a rather relevant task I was gonna try (sorry for hijacking). Recreating the Dalek 'Exterminate' sound, any ideas on choice of effects? :)
That's a ring modulator.