Carla midi trigger

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wayneward
Established Member

Carla midi trigger

Post by wayneward »

Im just setting up a vocal rack..
Ive got it working with jack rack which works and got the right sounds and most important midi triggers from linux show player turning effects on and off with midi triggers.

Id like to use carla or something similar looking with a nice gui to configure plugins ..

I just cant get triggers to trigger the effects on and off..

How do you configure midi is there a manual and video

Ive seen were you can click assign midi then if i go to linux show player to send the trigger the wait for command box has gone and does nothing ..

Any help is apreciated
noedig
Established Member

Re: Carla midi trigger

Post by noedig »

Ardour allows automating tracks Mute (and Solo) which could help you.

1. Enable the Generic MIDI control surface:
Preferences --> Control Surfaces: Enable "Generic MIDI"

2. Connect the MIDI output port of Linux Show Player, from where the MIDI triggers will be sent, to the MIDI control in JACK MIDI port.

3. Assign MIDI triggers to Mute of tracks in Ardour:
In Ardour, hold Ctrl and middle-click on a track's Mute button. A box will appear saying "operate controller now". Now, send the desired MIDI trigger from Linux Show Player (i.e. a CC message with value > 64). From now on, sending this MIDI message will toggle the track's Mute.

If you want to try Carla:
There is no way to turn off effects directly with MIDI. However, if the effect has an "Active" property or similar, like Calf plugins usually have, you could control this with MIDI CC. In Carla, press the Spanner (or Edit) button on the plugin, then look through the Parameters tabs. Each parameter has a CC# and Channel box next to it. Use this to set the desired MIDI CC message that you will use to trigger it.
Don't forget to connect the appropriate output of Linux Show Player to the appropriate input of Carla (or the plugin).
wayneward
Established Member

Re: Carla midi trigger

Post by wayneward »

i managed to get it working in the end with carla
i had all the devices in continuous rack which id prefer but that stopped the midi from working for some reason
i changed to single and managed to get the reverb and delay turning on and off using ctrl change on the wet parameter
couldnt seem to get the active to work so i just leave live and use the wet to turn them on and off
linux show player is send ing the triggers nicely!

i have a compressor / limiter / EQ / delay and reverb in the rack so ill see if the laptop is fine with these running
i had the same in jack rack but its getting old now and the buttons arent working properly plus its looking very gats to todays standars but worked!

carla looks great with the calf racks in and easy to configure so happy :)

the laptop alsp runs linux show player / guitarix and qlc plus for the open dmx lights im eager to see how it copes with all this tomorrow!!... :mrgreen: