some new GxPlugins

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Re: some new GxPlugins

Post by tramp »

gimmeapill wrote:This brings to mind a feature request: the number of effects starts to be significant (in particular for the fuzzes) and it would be very useful to have a description box telling who is doing what, where the design comes from, giving credit where credit is due, how to use it, etc...
It looks like the Mod and Kiwe have a description field, but it is missing from Guitarix.
So what about a pop up next to the presets?
guitarix have as well a description field in the gxplugin API. Unfortunately I'm most of the time to lazy to fill it up. Even fill the description fields for the plugs for the MOD, is a bit of a pain for me. :?
In guitarix description is shown as tooltip text when you hover the mouse over a plug in the pool. (Check the Ruiner in the Fuzz category)
What not is implemented is to read out the description from the LV2 turtle files. Will keep that in mind for the todo list.
gimmeapill wrote:& I found another oddity: there seems to be a duplicate between the LV2 "GXScreamingBird" and the Guitarix "Scream Bird". They look similar but they don't sound the same - at least at 96khz, is that intentional?
Not intentional, but a artefact from some experiments I've done. I guess you like the GxScreamingBird more? That's the original implementation.
On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Re: some new GxPlugins

Post by gimmeapill »

tramp wrote:guitarix have as well a description field in the gxplugin API. Unfortunately I'm most of the time to lazy to fill it up. Even fill the description fields for the plugs for the MOD, is a bit of a pain for me. :?
In guitarix description is shown as tooltip text when you hover the mouse over a plug in the pool. (Check the Ruiner in the Fuzz category)
What not is implemented is to read out the description from the LV2 turtle files. Will keep that in mind for the todo list.
Reusing what has already been done for theMOD sounds like a great idea ;-)
I get that user documentation is not the most glamorous thing to do, but at the end of the day you still do that work when introducing the new plugins on the forums - and also for the MOD.
This is also generally a good way to keep track of where you've been and where you're going in a project, especially since you have quite a few plugin in most categories now.

As for the the tool tips, they work, but they have a tendency to fade away too fast when you want to read a long story, let's say more than one phrase.
A real solid dialog box is preferable, or maybe something that can be kept open while tweaking parameters?

Also I think it would be useful to put a note for the plugins that have been hardwired to 48Khz for stability reasons - just to save some time during troubleshooting or who knows if in the future you want to rework them.
tramp wrote: I guess you like the GxScreamingBird more? That's the original implementation.
Yes, GxScreamingBird is definitely the one to keep - I love it!

Cheers,

LX