some new GxPlugins

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: some new GxPlugins

Post by funkmuscle »

Luc wrote:What pedal board software is that?
tramp wrote:Actual this combo give me the kick I'm after:
I think MOD
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

funkmuscle wrote:
Luc wrote:What pedal board software is that?
tramp wrote:Actual this combo give me the kick I'm after:
I think MOD
Yes, it's the MOD.
funkmuscle wrote:Bud, are you still making binaries of these plugins? I did a fresh install of arch about a month-and-a-half ago and now the binaries are showing up with proper GUI in Mixbus and ardour.
No, haven't build binaries for distribution for some time.
But, you should try again if it works for you when you build from source. As I said once to you, I can't reproduce why GxPlugs shouldn't work (with GUI) in Mixbus for you, as here (debian/sid isn't far behind Arch) they work smart. GxPlugs UI's using GTK2 and been written in plain C, so no ABI break like we've seen with the guitarix plugs, which use GTKmm and C++.
There is no significant development in GTK2 any-more, so version mismatchment is unlikely.

I guess the reason why you've trouble with the GxPlugs UI's before was, there was something going wrong with you previous Arch install which you may have solved now with your new installation.

For guitarix (plugins) you could use the carla export function, which bridge the UI so that they work as well in Mixbus.
On the road again.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

"MOD" is a terrible string to search on Google. Can someone please provide a link?
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Luc wrote:"MOD" is a terrible string to search on Google. Can someone please provide a link?
Ups, sorry, here you go:
https://www.moddevices.com/

As a note, we talk about the MOD Duo here, it's a hardware device based on a ARM CPU with Arch linux running under the hut.
The software is Open Source here:
https://github.com/moddevices

But be aware that it isn't easy to set up for use on your Desktop computer. Possible. true, but nothing for a beginner or a non programmer in the first place.

Any GxPlugin is tested on the MOD Duo (by me) and comes with a special interface (html based) for this device.
On the road again.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Thank you for the information. I didn't know this existed. Impressive!
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Hi Hermann

Just tested my Beatles presets, and found that the GxSuppaToneBender also needs the resampling-fix.
The GxVmk2 and GxSuperFuzz now run smoothly.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Hi Frank
Frank Carvalho wrote:Just tested my Beatles presets, and found that the GxSuppaToneBender also needs the resampling-fix.
Okay, done.
I guess I'll implement that now for all GxPlugs.

regards
hermann
On the road again.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tramp wrote:Hi Frank
Frank Carvalho wrote:Just tested my Beatles presets, and found that the GxSuppaToneBender also needs the resampling-fix.
Okay, done.
I guess I'll implement that now for all GxPlugs.

regards
hermann
Dude, did you do all this to the binary plugins? I finally got it working properly in mixbus
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

funkmuscle wrote:Dude, did you do all this to the binary plugins? I finally got it working properly in mixbus
Hi Harvey

As already said.
tramp wrote:No, haven't build binaries for distribution for some time.
But, you should try again if it works for you when you build from source. As I said once to you, I can't reproduce why GxPlugs shouldn't work (with GUI) in Mixbus for you, as here (debian/sid isn't far behind Arch) they work smart. GxPlugs UI's using GTK2 and been written in plain C, so no ABI break like we've seen with the guitarix plugs, which use GTKmm and C++.
There is no significant development in GTK2 any-more, so version mismatchment is unlikely.

I guess the reason why you've trouble with the GxPlugs UI's before was, there was something going wrong with you previous Arch install which you may have solved now with your new installation.
try the gxplugins-lv2-git package from AUR, ( and vote for it, if you like it) :)
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gxplugins-lv2-git/
I strongly believe, when the binaries I provide, work for you, you could as well build them yourself. :wink:
There is no magic in all of that. Only requirement is a system proper setup. And, with this package you could follow development and report problems to me, so that I could solve them.

regards
hermann
On the road again.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tramp wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:Dude, did you do all this to the binary plugins? I finally got it working properly in mixbus
Hi Harvey

As already said.
tramp wrote:No, haven't build binaries for distribution for some time.

try the gxplugins-lv2-git package from AUR, ( and vote for it, if you like it) :)
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gxplugins-lv2-git/
I strongly believe, when the binaries I provide, work for you, you could as well build them yourself. :wink:
There is no magic in all of that. Only requirement is a system proper setup. And, with this package you could follow development and report problems to me, so that I could solve them.

regards
hermann
Dude I must be losing my mind because I didn't even see that. Thanks a lot and I'll give it a shot. :)
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

So okay, on request I've done it, I've pushed a binary installer to the GxPlugins github release page.
https://github.com/brummer10/GxPlugins. ... s/tag/v0.4

GxPlugins-amd-gcc5.run is a snapshot of the latest git status.
On the road again.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tramp wrote:So okay, on request I've done it, I've pushed a binary installer to the GxPlugins github release page.
https://github.com/brummer10/GxPlugins. ... s/tag/v0.4

GxPlugins-amd-gcc5.run is a snapshot of the latest git status.
:D thanx bud..
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Hi Tramp,

Ok, late to the party, but I finally got some time to test the newsies.
That was a close call between the GxKnightFuzz and GxLiquidDrive, and it's the LiquidDrive which gets my vote.
They both sound very musical, but I find the Liquid more polyvalent and easy going.

And here's my overall favorite list among the Fuzzes:
1 - Fuzzface Mayer - with a Booster in front, it gets me exactly where I want to be. This others don't. This would also be the closest to my custom Germanium FF, yet far more tolerant with input volumes.
2 - Fat Furry Freak - because it's extreme and outrageous, yet has a very synth like vibe.
3 - GxLiquidDrive - nice to have when I'm bored with the other two ;-)

Another gem that I didn't notice is the GxScreamingbird: that's the instant surf tone I was looking for, good stuff!

Oh, and I found one issue on the way: GxFuzzMaster goes straight to hell at 96Khz

Cheers & keep spoiling us :D

LX
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Hi

Thanks for feedback. :)
gimmeapill wrote:That was a close call between the GxKnightFuzz and GxLiquidDrive, and it's the LiquidDrive which gets my vote.
They both sound very musical, but I find the Liquid more polyvalent and easy going.
Yea, the KnightFuzz is more like a dark booster, so a bit more special then the LiquidDrive. I love to use them both in parallel, to extend the tonal range to the low end.
gimmeapill wrote:2 - Fat Furry Freak - because it's extreme and outrageous, yet has a very synth like vibe.

That's a pedal from Devi Ever, she build a lot of extreme Pedals and published here schematics as well, very nice, indeed.
gimmeapill wrote:Oh, and I found one issue on the way: GxFuzzMaster goes straight to hell at 96Khz
Ah, yea will look into it, thanks for mention.
On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

tramp wrote: That's a pedal from Devi Ever, she build a lot of extreme Pedals and published here schematics as well, very nice, indeed.
Nice job indeed ;-)

This brings to mind a feature request: the number of effects starts to be significant (in particular for the fuzzes) and it would be very useful to have a description box telling who is doing what, where the design comes from, giving credit where credit is due, how to use it, etc...
It looks like the Mod and Kiwe have a description field, but it is missing from Guitarix.
So what about a pop up next to the presets?

& I found another oddity: there seems to be a duplicate between the LV2 "GXScreamingBird" and the Guitarix "Scream Bird". They look similar but they don't sound the same - at least at 96khz, is that intentional?