Sfz vst SFZero

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ubuntuuser
Established Member

Sfz vst SFZero

Post by ubuntuuser »

I discovered this basic sfz vst, so I thought I'd put it through the Jucer and make it for Linux.

It's only basic but I've tested it with some Kawai Piano sfz's and it seems to work https://freepats.zenvoid.org/Piano/acou ... piano.html

https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero/releases
Last edited by ubuntuuser on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
davephillips
Established Member

Re: Sfz vst SFZero

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

It's a good plugin, works nicely with the Sonatina sounds too.

The strings (sustained and pizzicati) in this piece were made with SFZero and the Sonatina set:

https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/ahir

Best,

dp
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

davephillips wrote:Greetings,

It's a good plugin, works nicely with the Sonatina sounds too.

The strings (sustained and pizzicati) in this piece were made with SFZero and the Sonatina set:

https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/ahir

Best,

dp

Very nice.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Last edited by ubuntuuser on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

is it possible to port that to lv2 and create a regular source package for all system?
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

It's a bad idea to put binaries in a git repo. Can you make a website, say, on github.io and put links there?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@nilshi @Lyberta

... or you could say, "hey thanks ubuntuuser for doing all that work and making binaries to support not only current but aging distros as well"

This person went to a lot of work on everyone's behalf, I'm sure suggestions are welcomed but perhaps a bit of acknowledgement and gratitude first before asking for more or adding complications.. :D :wink:

@ubuntuuser

Hats off!, many thanks especially for not leaving 32bit in the lurch, I realize it has disappeared on other platforms but Linux still supports a lot of viable and production-worthy 32bit hardware that would otherwise be in a landfill or tech dump..
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Well said, Glen.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

falkTX wrote:I really wish building these things was more understood.
It takes no effort at all *once you know what to do*
Spending the time to learn these sort of things is worth it in the end, you don't need to wait for others to build things for you.

Relying on "random" binaries sorta takes out the point on things being opensource.
It becomes not that different from freeware at some point, where you have a single binary and can't do anything more with it then what the author has provided you.
Hi falkTX,

To you and I (especially you) yes getting from source--->binary--->Package is not that complicated, but you and I are in the 'business' of facilitating stuff for others to use..

SFZero is not really ready for prime time and is not packaged in KX/Debian/Ubuntu etc. yet, so if somebody takes the initiative to be generous enough to take their time as 'just a guy who uses this stuff' to eliminate the first few steps that most users will not tackle and share it it so it can see a wider audience then that is a logical first step on the road to getting it into the legitimate packaging channels. I would strongly disagree and suggest that alpha and early beta stuff like this should stay out of repos until it's stable enough to install and use, no questions asked..

I don't know ubuntuuser's full intentions but there is no reason to believe if SFZero was a solid plugin that these intial binaries are where the train stops necessarily, in the meantime quite a few folks get the benefit of seeing and trying it for themselves...

I don't disagree... the final destination should be in a repository, but I think it's a little early to write these off as just another random binary.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Thanks for that ubuntuuser (Leo, is it you ?). How does this thing manages large sfz ? Disk streaming ?
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

No real intention besides trying them out and making them available for people who don't want to/can't build them.

What's the point of the code lying dormant on github for years with hardly anyone on Linux trying them out when it is possible to try them out.

There have been Mac binary versions of SFZero and Synister out for quite a while but I couldn't find any for Linux except an old Synister one that I unfortunately couldn't use.

In Synister's case, I hit a few C++ syntax problems that needed to be changed and I needed to change some things for the standalone version, and for a person with no porting experience they probably would not have been able to build them or would need to spend time tracking down the problems and not everyone has the time to do it.

Programmers and Users are most often not the same thing.

It's easy for someone who has that experience to expect it of others, but most users have no experience and we all had no experience at one point and general users can't be expected to be experienced in porting.

I am not going to build 30 vst's just because the source code is available, I have better things to do and I would say that most Linux and Mac and Windows users do as well, so the binaries should be available whenever possible for the major distros at least IMO.

SFZero is pretty basic and it could benefit by disk streaming being added to it and maybe some more sfz opcodes implemented, which isn't that hard for a programmer to do, so maybe someday SFZero will have those features enabled, but for the moment it does seem to work with quite a few sfz files that I've tried.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@ ubuntuuser

Well again, thanks for that.. :D

I am running your 64bit 14.04 SFZero binary on AV Linux (based on Debian Stretch) and the plugin opens in Ardour but clicking on the UI doesn't seem to to initialize a file manager to load an SFZ file? Anyone else noticed this? I am clicking where it says 'Click here' on the UI
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

GMaq wrote:@ ubuntuuser

Well again, thanks for that.. :D

I am running your 64bit 14.04 SFZero binary on AV Linux (based on Debian Stretch) and the plugin opens in Ardour but clicking on the UI doesn't seem to to initialize a file manager to load an SFZ file? Anyone else noticed this? I am clicking where it says 'Click here' on the UI
Yes, same for me.

The Debian stretch version works ok on Debian stretch, but the Ubuntu 14.04 64 bits version on Debian stretch won't allow the Filebrower to open.

It's probably some library problem, I'll look into it.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Lyberta wrote:It's a bad idea to put binaries in a git repo. Can you make a website, say, on github.io and put links there?
Indeed. Please don't put binaries in a git repository. Why you ain't put them under the releases? Mark them as pre-alpa-release if you like,
On the road again.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

tramp wrote:
Lyberta wrote:It's a bad idea to put binaries in a git repo. Can you make a website, say, on github.io and put links there?
Indeed. Please don't put binaries in a git repository. Why you ain't put them under the releases? Mark them as pre-alpa-release if you like,
They are only there in a temporary way, and unless I hear something from github, that's where they are staying for the moment.

You know, I'm not making any official releases of Synister or SFZero at the moment and maybe I will move them to the release page and maybe not.
Last edited by ubuntuuser on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.