Only one synth...

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

Only one synth...

Post by finotti »

This is mostly a curiosity, since I think I am pretty set with what I will do, but I'd appreciate some input anyway. (If you have a minute to spare...)

I am just starting with synths (I am a guitarist -- or so I'd like to think), so I know nothing about synths. I've been using and trying to learn ZynAddSubFX/Yoshimi. I've seen some videos and played with some presets, but I'm still in a trial and error phase. But I am really impressed!

On the other hand, I was wondering: although I am sure knowledge of one would apply to others, is there another (one) synth on which I should be focusing instead of ZynnAddSuFX? (Something "better", for some value of better...) I wanted to focus on learning one before branching out, so it would be good to make a good choice. As I said, I am really impressed with it, but it is, basically, the only one with which I spent some good time. Also, people seem to really like the U-He (free) ones, for example.

Now, keep in mind what I would like to use it for: mostly rock, with heavy influence of 70's progressive. So, I like a lot of those old vintage sounds (Moog, Hammond, Mellotron, etc.). And, although I am ashamed to admit it, I did grow up in the 80s, so I like some of those 80s keyboard sounds... But, the synths are for "keyboard parts" only (no bass, drums, guitar, etc.).

A lot of the demos I see of the synths sound great but are more for "electronic music", which makes harder to choose.

So, what would you recommend?
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Only one synth...

Post by sysrqer »

I really like tal noisemaker, it's fairly basic but it has standard features so you can learn a bit more about synthesis and apply it to most synths. It sounds great too.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

ZynAddSubFX (and Yoshimi) is a really powerful synth but if you're a beginner it may not be the easiest to learn as it power resides in complexity.
If you are looking to learn sound synthesis you should start with a simpler synth. As you said, knowledge of one will apply to others BUT only for a particular type of synthesis.
- The Minimoog is based on subtractive synthesis and to this day almost all synths are using a variation of this method with added features. TAL noisemaker is a good one to start with (but it might sound too electronic to you). U-HE Tyrell N6 is another good one, a little more complex but with a warmer sound and better polyphony.
- The Hammond uses additive synthesis. SetBfree is a B3 simulation and sounds great.
- The Mellotron is basically a sampler, so you can find soundfonts or sample packs to emulate it.

Now, there is a fourth kind of synthesis that has been (over)used in the eighties and it is FM synthesis with the famous Yamaha DX7. This one is quite hard to master (I don't even think mastering it is possible). The good news is that Dexed is an almost perfect emulation of the DX7 and it can use any DX7 cartridge/preset that has ever been released. There are huge collections of them available over the web. No need to learn, instant 80's sound.

Except sampling, Zyn can do all of this and more BUT it will not be as good as each of those synths taken individually. It will sound great, no doubt about that, but it is not designed to emulate a particular synth and you will need a lot of time to get close to the sound you want. And that time won't be spent on production. If I were you, I would get Dexed and use it only for its patches. Then have fun with SetBfree, as it is quite easy to tweak. Then go for Tyrell N6 and spend some time learning subtractive synthesis.

When you'll come back to Zyn, you'll have enough background to not get lost in all the available parameters and use its full potential without going for the trial and error method.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

IMHO Amsynth is a really great synth to start on. Its simple, similar to a minimoog and has lots of presets. TAL noisemaker was another good suggestion, but I prefer Amsynth because its still open source. The MDA JX10 is even simpler, but is almost too limited and doesn't have a pretty GUI (if thats material to you). Zyn is amazing, but not the easiest way to get to understand synthesis, as it uses quite a few techniques that are very different from most synthesizers.

If you really want to understand synthesis, I highly recommend reading the "Synth Secrets" series of articles that appeared in Sound on Sound magazine many years ago. https://web.archive.org/web/20160403115 ... ecrets.htm
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Thanks for the helpful replies!
sysrqer wrote:I really like tal noisemaker, it's fairly basic but it has standard features so you can learn a bit more about synthesis and apply it to most synths. It sounds great too.
I've took a quick look and it does seem much simpler and a good starting point. Thanks for the suggestions!
barbouze wrote:ZynAddSubFX (and Yoshimi) is a really powerful synth but if you're a beginner it may not be the easiest to learn as it power resides in complexity.
If you are looking to learn sound synthesis you should start with a simpler synth. As you said, knowledge of one will apply to others BUT only for a particular type of synthesis.
- The Minimoog is based on subtractive synthesis and to this day almost all synths are using a variation of this method with added features. TAL noisemaker is a good one to start with (but it might sound too electronic to you). U-HE Tyrell N6 is another good one, a little more complex but with a warmer sound and better polyphony.
- The Hammond uses additive synthesis. SetBfree is a B3 simulation and sounds great.
- The Mellotron is basically a sampler, so you can find soundfonts or sample packs to emulate it.
Thanks! I've also taken a look at the Tyrell N6. I will play around with its presets and my take a deeper look.

I am indeed using SetBFree in my current project and it does sound good. I think I will need to use some plugin for distorion/saturation, as I did not like the built in very much, but I am sure it will turn out well.

I did find a nice sample from LinuxSampler here: https://www.linuxsampler.org/instruments.html (I haven't used it yet, but the samples sound great.)
barbouze wrote: [snip]
If I were you, I would get Dexed and use it only for its patches. Then have fun with SetBfree, as it is quite easy to tweak. Then go for Tyrell N6 and spend some time learning subtractive synthesis.

When you'll come back to Zyn, you'll have enough background to not get lost in all the available parameters and use its full potential without going for the trial and error method.
That's really good advice, thank you. I've been using Zyn also for its presets. I've seen lots of videos on it so that I can tweak some of its settings to get closer to what I have in mind, but I definitely don't know how to make any considerable change yet. I will continue to do so for now, but I will come back to it later after I learn more about synthesis.

ssj71 wrote:IMHO Amsynth is a really great synth to start on. Its simple, similar to a minimoog and has lots of presets. TAL noisemaker was another good suggestion, but I prefer Amsynth because its still open source. The MDA JX10 is even simpler, but is almost too limited and doesn't have a pretty GUI (if thats material to you). Zyn is amazing, but not the easiest way to get to understand synthesis, as it uses quite a few techniques that are very different from most synthesizers.

If you really want to understand synthesis, I highly recommend reading the "Synth Secrets" series of articles that appeared in Sound on Sound magazine many years ago. https://web.archive.org/web/20160403115 ... ecrets.htm
Thanks for the suggestion of Amsynth and the articles! I will look over them carefully.

Thanks again all for the insightful replies!
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Without wanting to sound like I'm tooting my own horn here, you can see a variety of synths available at my website here:
LinuxSynths.com

There are many subtractive synths available, and each has its own distinctive character (imo anyway). Zyn has a particular sound to it; Amsynth has another; Xsynth has a unique sound too. WhySynth has a warmth to it that isn't easy to find anywhere else. Phasex has some cool filters. Add64 eats up CPU (not because of any special GUI, but just because there's a lot in the engine, lots of harmonics and modulation options). NoizeMaker has a definite edge to it, as does Helm and Monique. Dexed and Hexter both load DX7 presets, and there are loads available for download. My site has some presets available for most of the synths, to get started with.

Ciao!
brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Spend a decent amount of time on every synth you can get your hands on. They all have good and bad points, and even when you've settled on one that you think most fits your workflow, re-check the others from time to time.
That's the other thing. Most of them are still developing. I've always know there's no such thing as a finished song. I've now come to the conclusion there's no such thing as a finished synth :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

briandc wrote:Without wanting to sound like I'm tooting my own horn here, you can see a variety of synths available at my website here:
LinuxSynths.com
Never saw this page before. What a great resource, thank you for tooting your horn.
listenable at c6a7.org
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

https://www.youtube.com/user/uheplugins

Stockpile the 5 gallon popcorn tins at the computer desk.

Also, Dan Worral has some excellent tutorials, if you're
good with the old seach engines.

Calf monosynth and organ are also good to look at and contrast.
Cheers
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

ssj71 wrote:IMHO Amsynth is a really great synth to start on. Its simple, similar to a minimoog and has lots of presets.
good point.
if you want to understand subtractive synthesis well, amsynth is simple enough and powerful enough at the same time.
i learned subtractive synthesis with this little one and a tutorial book «Learning Music With Synthesizers», which came in mid 70s with ARP Odyssey synth, but still is very good, since the principles of subtractive synthesis remain the same. the book can be easily found on the net.

FM/PM/phase distortion synths are different and not that easy to start with, so i would recommend to learn them later.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

briandc wrote:Without wanting to sound like I'm tooting my own horn here, you can see a variety of synths available at my website here:
LinuxSynths.com
[snip]
Thanks, Brian. I had already found your site, it's been an invaluable source. Since I don't know much about it, I've been using a lot of presets, which your site provides, along with very useful information. I really appreciate it.
glowrak guy wrote:https://www.youtube.com/user/uheplugins

Stockpile the 5 gallon popcorn tins at the computer desk.

Also, Dan Worral has some excellent tutorials, if you're
good with the old seach engines.

Calf monosynth and organ are also good to look at and contrast.
Cheers
Thanks for the U-He link. I've watched some of those. It's too bad there is not one for the Tyrell. (I've found others though.)

And thanks everyone else for the help. (I will take a closer look at the AMSynth.)
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

finotti wrote:Thanks for the U-He link. I've watched some of those. It's too bad there is not one for the Tyrell. (I've found others though.)
downloads are here (don't forget to check out the manual):
https://www.amazona.de/freeware-synth-tyrell-n6-v3-03/
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

I would suggest ObXd. It has a classic analog synth layout, it has polyphony from one to plenty oscillators. It has portamento, it has 12 and 24db/oct filters. And it sounds great for all classic types of synth sound.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Frank Carvalho wrote:I would suggest ObXd. It has a classic analog synth layout, it has polyphony from one to plenty oscillators. It has portamento, it has 12 and 24db/oct filters. And it sounds great for all classic types of synth sound.

/Frank
I forgot this one! Perfectly balanced between ease of use and sonic capabilities.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

despite the fact that OBXD is an excellent synth by itself, i would not recommend it as the 1st synth to learn due to 2 factors:
1) lots of uncommonly prepatched things
2) counter-intuitive GUI.