Sonarworks Headphone Calibration Plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

Re: Sonarworks Headphone Calibration Plugin

Post by finotti »

I'm truly puzzled here. We are talking about the link from this post: viewtopic.php?t=16940&view=unread#p98658 correct? (The link being http://d38ygt50eys6ee.cloudfront.net/Do ... .4/Release right?)

I tried different browsers, with and without my VPN (including in and out of the US), my phone, my phone with the LTE network (not my router/provider), and I always get the 404 error.

Of course, if it is just me it is probably not worth the trouble of finding what is wrong, but it is definitely puzzling...
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Well, after upgrading my system to Neon 18.04 that crash problem seems to be gone (this definitely has something to do with dynamically linked libraries), but now I get a connection error, thus can't request for a trial.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

finotti wrote:I'm truly puzzled here. We are talking about the link from this post: viewtopic.php?t=16940&view=unread#p98658 correct? (The link being http://d38ygt50eys6ee.cloudfront.net/Do ... .4/Release right?
Yeah, and that worked for me too. I don't know what's going on, but it's extremely bizarre. By the way, what are your DNS settings? Can anything interfere with the process?

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Loki Harfagr wrote:Well, the link worked here but I couldn't get the plugin validated, certainly my bad but I've got gulped in a catch 22 :)
Uh oh, what did I get wrong where how!?
Good news for Sonarworks! I found out where I barfed in my yesterdays' test (I might have bee too tired then :oops: )

So, I tested the plugin again and it work fine, the good news parts is that, at least on my installation where it used to need the "zenity trick" in my /usr/bin/ to allow the selector to appear and work it now works fine without it! Hurray! :)

Note that at the moment I've only tested in Mixbus32C V5.1.

I'll of course test it along and on other uses and hosts the 20 remaining test days, at the moment the only things I may have to report is that it crashed the ALSA engine when I boldly tried to load three successive headphones settings while using the plugin and having the playback running. Not a severe crash though since the host kept alive and the first attempt to re-launch the ALSA engine went fine.
The other mangy issue is the one I had at my first b0rk3n attempt: I mishppenly clicked on "offline validation" because that was the only visible option apart from "Back", and I only discoverd today that I had better to click on the almost invisible very pale blue unlabeled rectangle somewhere at the center of the panel, it then magically changes to a mid-blue button labeled "validate". I have no idea what to that strange "almost invisibility" of the crucial button is due but I'm confident that's not a deliberate choice from the coders thus I guess there's still some funny libraries versioning playing :-)
(and if you have any tests or checks I could make to help corner the fizz I'll be happy to help -- no strings attached)
rudolfs.bundulis
Established Member

Post by rudolfs.bundulis »

Hi all,

first, thanks for all the feedback.

1) I am happy to hear that the zenity thingy has been fixed, it was an internal bug in Juce.

2) The invisible button thingy described by Loki could also be smth related to Juce, will check that out.

3) As for the link not working, I honestly have no idea, we use Amazons CloudFront which has worked so far (i've seen some weird cases where it invalidates the cache and gives an error response once or twice but it gets back). We are not using any funky DNS stuff or anything, I assume this is smth weird with CloudFront, but for the time being I'll just put the plugin on Google Drive and share the link here.

3) Alex, well as I said before, we have limited resources for Linux sadly, thus fixing the zenity thing, where noone could load the profiles was more crucial. But since now it's done, we will try to setup the distro you mentioned and check that out, but yeah sadly the dynamic library stuff + cross distro plugin is a hard thing to do right:( As for the activation issue, can you PM me?
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

rudolfs.bundulis wrote:As for the activation issue, can you PM me?
Sent a PM with a screenshot of what I get.

finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

finotti wrote:I'm truly puzzled here. We are talking about the link from this post: viewtopic.php?t=16940&view=unread#p98658 correct? (The link being http://d38ygt50eys6ee.cloudfront.net/Do ... .4/Release right?)

I tried different browsers, with and without my VPN (including in and out of the US), my phone, my phone with the LTE network (not my router/provider), and I always get the 404 error.

Of course, if it is just me it is probably not worth the trouble of finding what is wrong, but it is definitely puzzling...
So very weird... I could download it from work without a problem... I will try to test it tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Well, in fact now I can get it from home too...
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

I must be missing something... I could download the plugin and install it. When running it in Ardour, I get the registration window and can go through and generate the activation file (a short XML file) after pressing "Generate activation code". But when I go to the site to activate it, it asks for the file and some "activation code" that I don't see anywhere. Pressing "Generate activation code" only seemed to give me the XML file to upload.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

@finotti

Yup, been there (as said in my previous comment), there's a hidden level in the game :D

When you're in the panel where you can see a button "[offline validation]" on the bottom do NOT click it!
Instead aim the center of the panel and click the invisible button '[validate]' which will then briefly flash and then you're done and the download/update of headphones profiles should start.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Loki Harfagr wrote:@finotti

Yup, been there (as said in my previous comment), there's a hidden level in the game :D

When you're in the panel where you can see a button "[offline validation]" on the bottom do NOT click it!
Instead aim the center of the panel and click the invisible button '[validate]' which will then briefly flash and then you're done and the download/update of headphones profiles should start.
Ah, sorry I missed your post... I will try again tomorrow morning.

Thanks!
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

OK, so I could activate the plugin following Loki's pointers, and I can report that (as before for me) the plugin is working fine in Ardour (official) running on Debian Sid. (I've tested it in KDE and Fluxbox.)
Arnd
Established Member

Post by Arnd »

rudolfs.bundulis wrote:So, we just released 4.1.7.4 (http://d38ygt50eys6ee.cloudfront.net/Do ... .4/Release), the important improvement being the ability to activate the trial from the plugin without asking us for a key. Also we tried to fix the zenity issue, but still not sure if the fix is portable across all distributions.
Sorry for being late to the party...

I just installed 4.1.7.4 today and extensively tested it on my setup (openSUSE Leap 42.3, Kernel 4.19.1, Ardour 5.12) and everything works fine out of the box.

I tested it both in Ardour and Carla and I tested both the headphone correction (using my Sennheiser HD 280 pro) and the speaker correction (Yamaha HS7) using a measurement profile I created earlier this year using the Windows version of Sonarworks.

So: Great job!
Arnd
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Arnd wrote:Sorry for being late to the party...
You're definitely not. It still doesn't work for me, and probably some other people who just gave up on it.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

not working for me but I was parying for this way back when I saw it there for Windows and Mac.. Just Hoping all gets resolved so we Linux folks with bedroom studios in condos can get the right calibration for our headphones.
rudolfs.bundulis
Established Member

Post by rudolfs.bundulis »

Hi AlexTheBassist and funkmuscle,

Sorry for the slow development on your respective issues, but sadly as stated before with so much going on currently, Linux sadly is the lowest priority at this moment :( Again, sorry for the inconveniences.