Carla: one instrument only per midi channel?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Quirq
Established Member

Carla: one instrument only per midi channel?

Post by Quirq »

I thought it would be cool to have a Carla session with all the keyboard instruments I regularly use loaded and then I could switch between them using midi channels.

I thought this would be fairly easy to do, but I can't get it to work. Is it possible?

The problem I'm having is that, whilst two of the plugins can be set to listen to a specific midi channel, the other (of which I want multiple instances) does not. It seems to be permanently in omni mode so it's always sounding no matter which channel the keyboard is on.

I've seen mention of the MIDI Splitter plugin and have seen screenshots showing 1-in and 16-out, but when I load it it only has 1-in and 1-out. Is this right? I was expecting one out per midi channel and hook different outputs to different plugins.

I've tried the MIDI Map one as well and I was expecting that this would also filter out, so e.g. input on midi channel 2 would only go out on channel 2 and not on all simultaneously.

I have found a kludgy workaround by having an instance of MIDI Map per plugin, with 1 > 1 and everything else set to zero hooked up to one plugin, then one with 2 >2 and all other channels set to zero for another plugin etc. It works, but seems rather a messy way of doing things.

Is there a neater way of achieving what I want to do, or is it just not possible?

Also, is there any way that .fxp and .fxb support could be added to Carla? Sadly the VB3 Hammond VSTi relies on the host for user presets.
noedig
Established Member

Re: Carla: one instrument only per midi channel?

Post by noedig »

What MIDI Splitter plugin did you try?
The "MIDI Split" plugin on my PC is a Carla Internal plugin and has one input and 16 outputs corresponding to the MIDI channels.
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

Ah, thanks :) I was using Falk's LV2 MIDI Split, not the Carla internal one :roll: :lol: That shows up just fine and how I expected it to be.

I now have the problem that Carla doesn't seem to like more than one instance of M-Tron Pro: it won't connect audio outputs if there's more than one instance and crashes when I Ctrl+R to refresh the canvas. At least I've gained a bit more knowledge on how to wire things up in Carla, always a good thing :D
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

Thanks, that's stopped it crashing when I refresh the canvas.

I've successfully added/wired up Pianoteq and VB3 on midi channels 1 and 2, respectively. I've added an instance of M-Tron Pro, which shows up fine in the rack and on the canvas. But when I try to connect up either audio or midi, no wires/connections are created. I don't have any other audio software running and in QJackCtl the port maximum is set to 2056. I can't connect them up in QJackCtl either.

Any ideas? :?:
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

Thanks for the tip.

I don't know if this is relevant, it starts off:

Code: Select all

starting plugin bridge, command is:
/usr/lib/carla/carla-bridge-win32.exe "VST2" "/home/quirq/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/VstPlugins/M-Tron Pro.dll" "MTPro" 1730235764
Carla Bridge Ready!

chunk save path BEFORE => C:\users\quirq\Temp\.CarlaChunk_mD
chunk save path AFTER => /home/quirq/.wine/drive_c//users/quirq/Temp/.CarlaChunk_m
Followed by masses and masses of lines saying:

Code: Select all

Carla assertion failure: "plugin != nullptr && plugin->isEnabled()" in file CarlaEngineThread.cpp, line 75
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

I've figured it out. The problem is with renaming the plugin.

I've added a few instances of the plugin and hooked it up fine though on the fourth instance, after refreshing the canvas everything disappeared bar three instances of the plugin, though Jack is still running and I could hook stuff up fine in QJackCtl. But as soon as I rename an instance of a plugin, I can no longer connect it up in the patchbay, nor in QJackCtl.

Hooking up a plugin and renaming it afterwards results in the same string of error messages.

Do you still want me to raise an issue on Github?