TAL Bassline

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

scalawag
Established Member

TAL Bassline

Post by scalawag »

Hi.
I see it was possible to "export" some TAL plugins to Linux.
Is it possible to have TAL Bassline TAL U-NO-60 and TAL-Chorus-LX.
Thank you
Luc
Established Member

Re: TAL Bassline

Post by Luc »

Note that you still can run most Windows plugins on Linux, using Airwave, Carla, festige or dssi-vst.
scalawag
Established Member

Post by scalawag »

Thanks falkTX.
I didn't knew they used to be open source. That's a shame because Bassline was released before most of the plugins you ported from TAL.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Luc wrote:Note that you still can run most Windows plugins on Linux, using Airwave, Carla, festige or dssi-vst.
Does that include the most popular, like the Voxengo (free) plugins ? Waves ? Fab Four ? UA emulations ? Or is it limited to lesser known plugins ?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

jonetsu wrote:
Luc wrote:Note that you still can run most Windows plugins on Linux, using Airwave, Carla, festige or dssi-vst.
Does that include the most popular, like the Voxengo (free) plugins ? Waves ? Fab Four ? UA emulations ? Or is it limited to lesser known plugins ?
Voxengo work, waves do (although I have only tested a fairly old bundle). Don't know what the other two are but it's rare to come across any that don't work these days.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

sysrqer wrote:Voxengo work, waves do (although I have only tested a fairly old bundle). Don't know what the other two are but it's rare to come across any that don't work these days.
Allright, sounds good. I would like to start by trying out some free Voxengo plugins. like maybe the Overtone EQ, OldSkoolVerb, Boogex and Tube Amp. Amongst the ways of doing that mentioned by Luc, which approach would be the best to achieve 'sound' results without much fiddling around with software ? Airwave ? Does any of them need a tweaked version of wine ? - thanks.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

jonetsu wrote:I would like to start by trying out some free Voxengo plugins. like maybe the Overtone EQ, OldSkoolVerb, Boogex and Tube Amp. Amongst the ways of doing that mentioned by Luc, which approach would be the best to achieve 'sound' results without much fiddling around with software ? Airwave ? Does any of them need a tweaked version of wine ? - thanks.
Airwave is my absolute favorite because it creates a very transparent bridge, great for using plugins in a DAW. You actually interact with the plugins directly inside the DAW, with every flaw and benefit they may have.

Carla kind of runs the show by itself. If you insert Carla in a DAW session and Windows plugins in Carla, the DAW will interact with Carla, not the plugins. It's a middleman that can get annoying sometimes.
Carla is not very mature in my opinion, so I never use it. It runs more plugins than Airwave, I mean, I have seen plugins that will run on Carla but not on Airwave (although that could be rather a problem on the DAW's end), but I think it's an awkward solution. Maybe version 2.0 will solve all the problems.

I can't think of a good reason to use Festige. It doesn't work all that well for me. I just mentioned it for the sake of completeness.

dssi-vst is good for quick auditions and for DAW-less operation. I have configured my file manager to open *.DLL files with dssi-vst, so I double-click a plugin and its GUI will magically pop up on my screen standalone, and it can be connected to anything over JACK with the help of a patchbay such as Catia.

I use wine-rt, wine-rt-amd64, and wine-rt-i386:i386, provided by KXStudio. It's not the latest and greatest version of Wine, but it's been working very well. I don't know if a newer version would bring any benefit.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Luc wrote:Airwave is my absolute favorite because it creates a very transparent bridge, great for using plugins in a DAW. You actually interact with the plugins directly inside the DAW, with every flaw and benefit they may have.
+1 for Airwave.

Best,

dp
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Luc wrote: I use wine-rt, wine-rt-amd64, and wine-rt-i386:i386, provided by KXStudio. It's not the latest and greatest version of Wine, but it's been working very well. I don't know if a newer version would bring any benefit.
Wine is like a house of cards on top of a house of cards, I've been using Wine for running Windows VST Plugins in custom ArdourVST builds for many years, if you are lucky enough to get a working WinVST recipe NEVER be in a hurry to change Wine, on one older system I still have Wine 1.5.2 because it ran the largest number of WinVST plugins reliably, updating Wine caused some of the plugins to stop working.

VST itself it quite a stable and robust format whether it is Windows or LinuxVST, if you are going to juggle WinVST's, Wine and a DAW then both the Wine version and the DAW version are more likely to throw a wrench in the works than the VST Plugin's themselves.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

I decided to cut to the chase. so I dl'd the plugin (32-bit), Airwave'd it, and tested it in Bitwig 1.3.15. It works perfectly. I wrote a quick bass line, the plugin handled it with no glitches or other problems. So far, so good. Nice plugin, but I'd play with Nekobi too if I wanted that kind of bass potential.

Btw: Fedora 21 x86_64, GCC 4.9.2, Wine 1.7.51, Airwave from git sources.

Best,

dp
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

GMaq wrote:NEVER be in a hurry to change Wine
...twitch... my WINE works fine...twitch...twitch twitch...I MUSSSTTTTT FIXXXX SUMMMMMTHINNNNN...twitch twitch...twitch... :wink:

closely related to

...twitch... my LINUX works fine...twitch...twitch twitch...I MUSSSTTTTT FIXXXX SUMMMMMTHINNNNN...twitch twitch...twitch...
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

jonetsu wrote:
I've used Reaper for years for hosting vsts, all TAL items work fine, as well as free amp-sims/fx from LePou, Ignite, TSE, GrindMachine etc
The Amplitube3 custom shop and related releases also worked, but I have not used the latest versions. And a dozen great plugins
from Russian amp-sim coders, are worth a jam session or 3. In general, about 90% of non-dongled, non-PACE plugins will work in Reaper,
and as mentioned, Airwave has some very fine success stories.

Some installers that require win7 or newer, might be bypassed by some manual file extraction and sneakernet folder placement.
And perhaps an occasional wine regedit voyage, if one requires that killer app.

In the long run, having 3 wine setups is good luck, one 32 bit, one 64 bit, and one for 'wine-staging'.

The more I dig into the Linux ported offerings from U-he and discoDSP, the less I rely on reaper/wine.
I can run reaper, mixbuss, bitwig, and qtractor together in various combos, recording their outputs in 24bit,
as glorified romplers, using the old Timemachine app, when desired.
Cheers

edit: Reaper has some great alternate themes, as do several U-he products, so the first date
need not be the last, if the hair is all wrong, and the teeth seem crooked :wink:
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

GMaq wrote:
Luc wrote: I use wine-rt, wine-rt-amd64, and wine-rt-i386:i386, provided by KXStudio. It's not the latest and greatest version of Wine, but it's been working very well. I don't know if a newer version would bring any benefit.
Wine is like a house of cards on top of a house of cards, I've been using Wine for running Windows VST Plugins in custom ArdourVST builds for many years, if you are lucky enough to get a working WinVST recipe NEVER be in a hurry to change Wine, on one older system I still have Wine 1.5.2 because it ran the largest number of WinVST plugins reliably, updating Wine caused some of the plugins to stop working.

VST itself it quite a stable and robust format whether it is Windows or LinuxVST, if you are going to juggle WinVST's, Wine and a DAW then both the Wine version and the DAW version are more likely to throw a wrench in the works than the VST Plugin's themselves.
hello glenn I wanted some help on wine. Yesterday I installed the package in kx studio and everything went well. Just having several plugs in fired native instruments, arturia, waldorf, some managed to install others instead of wine saying that a version of windows 7 was needed as a minimum so I guess maybe some version of the most up to date version needed. But the main point is another one, how do I use them through ardour 5.12? Do I have to use them through carla? or is there another way? Because i do not get my midi interface (međport 2x2) and i can play vst windows plugins just by mouse. thanks for any help :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You can install airwave or linvst but Carla can do it too.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi, i have a problem with carla on kxstudio and used my dx7 mk1 on midisport maudio 2x2. I don't play with midikey (dx7) my ppg wave 2v but i can play.. only mouse :roll: in stand alone

Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)