crazy x-runs with LSP IR plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

crazy x-runs with LSP IR plugin

Post by funkmuscle »

anyone on Arch64 using LSP Impulse Response plugins??
I'm getting killer x-runs and the DSP monitor in Ardour keeps flashing red and I'm getting popping sounds. Doesn't happen with other reverbs or IR loaders.

Ran Ardour --gdb but all I get is the Splash screen, Ardour will not load. Tried the git version and current version of Ardour.
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: crazy x-runs with LSP IR plugin

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote:anyone on Arch64 using LSP Impulse Response plugins??
I'm getting killer x-runs and the DSP monitor in Ardour keeps flashing red and I'm getting popping sounds. Doesn't happen with other reverbs or IR loaders.

Ran Ardour --gdb but all I get is the Splash screen, Ardour will not load. Tried the git version and current version of Ardour.
What's your setup? Could you provide your CPU and JACK configuration? Also what FFT frame size are you using? Did you try to raise it?
Also: did you have xruns while creating and using plugin in the project?
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:
What's your setup? Could you provide your CPU and JACK configuration? Also what FFT frame size are you using? Did you try to raise it?
Also: did you have xruns while creating and using plugin in the project?
system info:

Code: Select all

Distro: Arch Linux
  Kernel: 4.4.39-rt50-1-rt-lts
 Window Manager: Openbox
  Desktop Environment: 
  Shell: /bin/bas   Terminal: xterm-256color
 CPU: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
 RAM: 8GB 
  Disk: 79GB / 1113GB
Jack:  /usr/bin/jackd -P89 -dalsa -r48000 -p256 -n2 -D -Chw:USB -Phw:USB

I'm using a FocusRite 2i2 and set to monitor.
governor set to performance. Tried to increase FFT as you mentioned in the video, Never had xruns with ir-lv2 or klangfalter.
didn't have this issue with LSP Impulse Response loader either until an upgrade that's why I've asked if anyone using Arch is experience.
Other plugins are fine. Sometimes when adding I get the odd pop sound and an xrun but once plugin is loaded, Ardour runs fine.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote: I'm using a FocusRite 2i2 and set to monitor.
governor set to performance. Tried to increase FFT as you mentioned in the video, Never had xruns with ir-lv2 or klangfalter.
didn't have this issue with LSP Impulse Response loader either until an upgrade that's why I've asked if anyone using Arch is experience.
Other plugins are fine. Sometimes when adding I get the odd pop sound and an xrun but once plugin is loaded, Ardour runs fine.
That's strange, especially if previously all was OK. Also you have a pretty good CPU.
On empty project, is the problem reproducible?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I am not too sure if it would do that with a new project. Let me give that a shot and I will get back to you.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Okay I've set up a new project with only four tracks us some guy wanted me to add a couple of guitar solos the finished product. I've added your impulse response loader and a saturator and some EQ and delay and a cabinet simulator and that is running flawlessly. Mind you my other projects are loaded with multiple tracks. As much as twenty or more tracks on most projects.
Like I mentioned earlier it happened after and upgrade. It could be one of the other plugins that got affected and somehow it affects your impulse response loader. It does not affect any of your other plugins. I have no issues with them at all.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote:Okay I've set up a new project with only four tracks us some guy wanted me to add a couple of guitar solos the finished product. I've added your impulse response loader and a saturator and some EQ and delay and a cabinet simulator and that is running flawlessly. Mind you my other projects are loaded with multiple tracks. As much as twenty or more tracks on most projects.
Like I mentioned earlier it happened after and upgrade. It could be one of the other plugins that got affected and somehow it affects your impulse response loader. It does not affect any of your other plugins. I have no issues with them at all.
What plugins did you use in crashed project? Did you use Calf Reverb?
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

I'm also currently working on Impulse Response plugin review.
I think I can add a lot of additional features (like True Reverb support) for them but this may make the plugin incompatible with current implementation.
What do you think about my current state (that can be called a dilemma):
  • should I re-implement current plugins, this will make them possibly incompatible with current setup.
  • OR
  • should I implement or extend plugins with new series of IR plugins and keep current Impulse Responses as is?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

I am using and studying your plugins. These are all pretty new to me and I have no problem if it breaks compatibility with previous versions.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

As long as previous versions will be easily available I don't think it would be a huge problem.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:Okay I've set up a new project with only four tracks us some guy wanted me to add a couple of guitar solos the finished product. I've added your impulse response loader and a saturator and some EQ and delay and a cabinet simulator and that is running flawlessly. Mind you my other projects are loaded with multiple tracks. As much as twenty or more tracks on most projects.
What plugins did you use in crashed project? Did you use Calf Reverb?
no no, never Calf. I hear guys using Calf with Ardour even though at the Ardour site they tell you the Calf has issues with Ardour and I did with Calf so never use it.

I used LSP lv2 version as for some reason the lxvst crashes, and also eq10q and zam.. Always been using with no issues.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:I'm also currently working on Impulse Response plugin review.
I think I can add a lot of additional features (like True Reverb support) for them but this may make the plugin incompatible with current implementation.
What do you think about my current state (that can be called a dilemma):
  • should I re-implement current plugins, this will make them possibly incompatible with current setup.
  • OR
  • should I implement or extend plugins with new series of IR plugins and keep current Impulse Responses as is?
maybe the new series?? what's easier for you? do what's best for you man! we can figure it out as we go along.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote:maybe the new series?? what's easier for you? do what's best for you man! we can figure it out as we go along.
For me is not too much sense. I just can copy+pase the code of IR plugin and update it to make more advanced or just update it to make advanced.
I'm only thinking about will it provide duplicate facilities or will it break your already existing projects. Maybe the better solution would be to make an 'advanced' copy instead of updating currently existing plugins.
The list of changes I want to provide:
  • Make possible to load up to 4 IR files for each plugin.
  • Change mono output of mono plugin to the stereo output.
  • Implement True Reverb support by making possible to use 4 mono convolution processors simultaneously
But here's conflict: if you want to use my plugin for cabinet simulation by using cabinet IR, you'll probably choose a plugin with mono input and mono output. After update, there already will be no plugin with mono output, there will be plugin with mono input only.
I think I'm more and more trending to implement two new plugins (wit mono and stereo input and both with stereo output) that will be more Reverb-specialized.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:maybe the new series?? what's easier for you? do what's best for you man! we can figure it out as we go along.
For me is not too much sense. I just can copy+pase the code of IR plugin and update it to make more advanced or just update it to make advanced.
I'm only thinking about will it provide duplicate facilities or will it break your already existing projects. Maybe the better solution would be to make an 'advanced' copy instead of updating currently existing plugins.
The list of changes I want to provide:
  • Make possible to load up to 4 IR files for each plugin.
  • Change mono output of mono plugin to the stereo output.
  • Implement True Reverb support by making possible to use 4 mono convolution processors simultaneously
But here's conflict: if you want to use my plugin for cabinet simulation by using cabinet IR, you'll probably choose a plugin with mono input and mono output. After update, there already will be no plugin with mono output, there will be plugin with mono input only.
I think I'm more and more trending to implement two new plugins (wit mono and stereo input and both with stereo output) that will be more Reverb-specialized.
wow I forgot to try your IR loader for cabs. I've been using Robin's but lately I've been using the caps cabs. They're not IR but they seen to work well.
I think IR cabs need a power amp sim in there too like TwoNotes hardware IR pedal or their Wall of Sound vst.
http://www.two-notes.com/en/wall-of-sound-iii
best on the market because of the poweramp which every real amp has.

back to your development, I think you're on the right track with what you want to do.