Mastering Plugin -- Help me Pick?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Bree
Established Member

Mastering Plugin -- Help me Pick?

Post by Bree »

Hello... I'm having issues with Jamin. It works ... but it's too difficult to work with. I guess it's a hog on system resources and there's a big lag between using the mouse and setting parameters, so I can never tell where it's gonna land.

I've been considering the Harrison Mastering EQ LV2 plugin ... but I saw another at Tracktion that seems to offer a Linux VST option (which I prefer for a Bitwig workflow).

Are there any other options/tips/etc? ... also... of the 2 mentioned, which is better for quality? (I've been using Ardour so I can access my LV2 plugins, so I'm more than willing to go for the best quality option).

Thanks!
Luc
Established Member

Re: Mastering Plugin -- Help me Pick?

Post by Luc »

If you use Bitwig, you already have a pretty complete mix'n'master setup. You have the mixers, equalizers, compressor, and a pretty good set of basic effects. What else could you ask for?

If you want additional effects, they're generally available and easy to find.
Last edited by Luc on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Also, check out the LSP plugins. You should find them interesting:

http://lsp-plug.in
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

lsp plugins would be a good choice, they have mid/side, left/right processing in eq and dynamics. I think the only things you would be missing would be stereo enhancement if needed and some kind of exciter, maybe saturation/tape emulation. Most of these things can be found as individual plugins though so it would be a case of finding some that you're happy with. That said, the Harrison and Tracktion plugin bundles also look very nice.
Bree
Established Member

Post by Bree »

Thank-you so much everyone:) Maybe it's my ears fault then... The only thing I haven't tried in the suggestions (aside from purchasing) was the LSP plugins. I tried to install the VST versions but they don't show up in (neither in Ardour). I'm not sure if I'm missing a dependency or not, but I really do want to try them.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Bree wrote:Thank-you so much everyone:) Maybe it's my ears fault then... The only thing I haven't tried in the suggestions (aside from purchasing) was the LSP plugins. I tried to install the VST versions but they don't show up in (neither in Ardour). I'm not sure if I'm missing a dependency or not, but I really do want to try them.
The main question is how did you install them? What location did you use?
UPD
I see the similar report at tracker:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lsp-plugins/tickets/10/
Is it yours?
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

If you install new VSTs in Ardour you need to have Ardour rescan the VSTs. This is done in the Preferences->Plugins
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

varpa wrote:If you install new VSTs in Ardour you need to have Ardour rescan the VSTs. This is done in the Preferences->Plugins
The same with Tracktion. IIRC, Bitwig rescans automatically, but it won't tell you when a plugin fails. You have to open Preferences and look for the plugin section, where plugin errors are logged.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Hmmm... You know what, I haven't used the LSP plugins (or made any music) in a long time, so I just ran a test and none of the LSP plugins show up on Tracktion or Bitwig.

Tracktion throws a completely unhelpful error message: "the plugins failed" and that's all.

Bitwig says:

Code: Select all

/home/luc/.vst/lsp-plugins-lxvst-1.0.18-x86_64/lsp-plugins-vst-sc-limiter-stereo.so

com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Could not read VST plug-in metadata
64 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 139
Error messages:

[ERR] Could not find VST core library lsp-plugins-vst-core.so

32 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 255
I also tried them in 32bit, with the same result.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Please read this topic:

The main problem is probably that you've placed binaries at invalid place.

Also, currently LSP Plugins have serious UI issues with Tracktion (and other JUCE-based hosts) that I'm currently solving (UI doesn't react on mouse movement). So, sadly but LSP plugins are not well-usable under Tracktion now.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

sadko4u wrote:Please read this topic:

OK. The "invalid place" was merely their own "LSP" subdirectory inside ~/.vst. I moved them all up and now both DAWs can see them.

But it's such a clutter now. Why does it have to be that way? I have other plugins in their own subdirectories, most notably the U-he plugins and the "fake" Airwave bridge .so plugins, and they all work fine.
Bree
Established Member

Post by Bree »

YES! I finally got LSP plugins loaded:) I had them in their own directory. Once I took them out of the archive folder and rescanned, they appeared in Ardour, Bitwig and Carla:)

Soooo happy! Going to try them out today:)
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Luc wrote:
sadko4u wrote:Please read this topic:

OK. The "invalid place" was merely their own "LSP" subdirectory inside ~/.vst. I moved them all up and now both DAWs can see them.

But it's such a clutter now. Why does it have to be that way? I have other plugins in their own subdirectories, most notably the U-he plugins and the "fake" Airwave bridge .so plugins, and they all work fine.
I think it's a good question. Never thought that plugins can be placed into VST path with subdirectories. I think I can extend list of directories for searching LSP Core to add possibility to place the whole directory into VST path instead of copying it's contents.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

In 1.0.20 this option will be available (installation of plugins as single directory).
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Terrific! Thank you.