Orchestra Reverb

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Orchestra Reverb

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:instruments farther back get longer times.
D'oh! That should be the opposite. Farther back = shorter delay. Here's the layman's explanation of the psychoacoustics;

Imagine you're in the middle of a concert hall. A singer stands right next to you. As a result, you're going to hear the direct source (singer) immediately. But before you hear any reverb, the singer's sound must first travel across the hall, bounce off the wall, and then travel back to the middle of the hall (to you). That's going to take awhile. So you're going to hear a long delay between the direct sound and the reverb. Your brain therefore perceives the singer as being close to you,

Now have the singer move to the opposite end of the hall (far away from you). This time, before you can hear the direct source, the singer's voice must first travel across the hall to the middle of the hall -- just llke the reverb. The result is you're not going to hear much of a delay between the direct sound and the reverb. Your brain therefore perceives the singer as being far from you,

So if you''re mixing, and you want a soloist to "move to the front of the stage", then put reverb directly on everyone but the soloist. Split the soloist through a slight delay (10 to 20 ms), run that delay to the reverb, and mix with the soloist's direct (dry) sound.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: D'oh! That should be the opposite. Farther back = shorter delay.
Right, to paraphrase what you said, I like to think of it in terms of how long it takes for the reverb to bounce off the back of the hall and reach you compared to how long it takes the direct sound to reach you. I know it's not quite right, acoustics are more complex than that, but it serves as an easy reminder: back row, no delay; middle row, some delay; front row, long delay. Long being around 30-40 milliseconds.

EDIT: I just noticed that you suggest a max of 30ms. I've been using 40 for front row, but that's been a pre delay in conjunction with a rich early reflection algorithm, so maybe that prevented the clap echo that you describe.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

glowrak guy wrote: There is a nice Invada early reflection reverb, I've heard people say they really like it.
*GASP* Invada ER Reverb is fantastic! I just tried it out over the weekend, it sounds great and has a really nice interface for sound placement. Used in conjunction with a nice concert-hall late reverb (I've tried TAP Reverberator's Medium Hall and Large Hall (HD) presets so far), it does exactly what I wanted. Additionally, it seems to add hardly any computational load at all according to my cursory glance at my CPU usage report.