Native Access

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Metrophage
Established Member

Re: Native Access

Post by Metrophage »

Thank you so much! I was just puzzling over the crashes trying to get my Reaktor extras loaded.
Wakellor
Established Member

Post by Wakellor »

Hi,

I've tried your method, @ubunutuuser, but I get the error "Installation cannot proceed, your operating system is not supported. Please check the minimum requirements" after the InstallAware Wizard...
Of course this could just be because my specs aren't good enough, but could it instead be my wine settings? Do I need to set the installer to Windows 7 or similar? Any extra overrides? (I'm quite new to overrides and don't fully understand them yet)

I've got 2.9GB RAM and 2x Celeron Dual-Core T3500 @ 2.10 GHz. I'm using Manjaro Linux.

PS: Does anyone know what the incompatible iso mounter is? And if so, is there a way to fix it?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, to install Native Access, you'll need a newish wine 3 or 4, preferably from wineHQ repository,
try a stable version before the staging version. You may need to completely uninstall
your existing wine first using your package manager, a pita, but the removed dependencies
can be reinstalled later. A wineasio package can be unarchived, and the wineasio.dll
placed manually, if needs be.

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst

there is some very crucial read-me info
at this site, including details for installing robocopy, part of a
separate installer, and Native Access uses it.

The isomounter is installed to deal with the NI iso files.
You'll need the above steps comleted for it to work.
It's not fully wine compatible, so in wine,
the iso download started by Native Access often stops short, with some error,
but the complete iso has _actually_ been fully downloaded to

/home/y-o-u/.wine/drive_c/Users/y-o-u/Downloads/name-of.iso

Now you need a folder to mount that iso, and the actual command.

mkdir /home/y-o-u/iso-files Or call the folder what you like)

mount -t udf /home/y-o-u/.wine/drive_c/Users/y-o-u/Downloads/name-of.iso -o unhide /home/y-o-u/iso-files

cd /home/y-o-u/iso-files

Now you should see an installer that was formerly tucked away in the downloaded iso,
that you have mounted in /home/y-o-u/iso-files

To install,

wine name-of-installer.exe

If that is successful, run Native Access, and use it's 'add serial number' option.
You might need to restart Native Access for it to
display the registered plugin on the 'Installed' panel.

an overide is the result of your replacing a wine .dll from the windows/sytem32 folder,
with an actual one you download, or transfer from a windows folder.
Run command

winecfg

click the Libraries tab

Record the overide in the box labeled 'new override for library'
by entering the name of the dll, but without the .dll extension
so if you replace mfc42.dll with a real one, enter mfc42 and press
the 'add' button.
(this is all paraphrased from knowledge shared by ubuntu-user, Jack Winters,
and several others, who studied hard to enlighten the rest of us.
Many thanks to them!)
Good luck! ...rather than replace a .dll, I just append something in all-caps,
so it can be easily found in a filemanager, and restored, if needed. mfc42.dllDEFAULT
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Wakellor wrote:Hi,

I've tried your method, @ubunutuuser, but I get the error "Installation cannot proceed, your operating system is not supported. Please check the minimum requirements" after the InstallAware Wizard...
Of course this could just be because my specs aren't good enough, but could it instead be my wine settings? Do I need to set the installer to Windows 7 or similar? Any extra overrides? (I'm quite new to overrides and don't fully understand them yet)

I've got 2.9GB RAM and 2x Celeron Dual-Core T3500 @ 2.10 GHz. I'm using Manjaro Linux.

PS: Does anyone know what the incompatible iso mounter is? And if so, is there a way to fix it?
The Windows version (in winecfg) should be Windows 7 or above and not Windows XP.

In general, Wine can't handle Windows physical/hardware device drivers because it's not Windows, so a Windows Nvidia video driver won't work with Wine and the Native Access iso mounter driver is probably similar and so it causes a crash/hang.

That means that the downloaded iso file has to be fished out of wherever Native Access downloaded it to and then manually mounted and then installed (details in one of my above posts).

After that, Native Access will think everything was installed ok when it's started up again.

Trouble with Native Access iso downloads can even happen using Windows and some Windows users do the manual iso mounting method to get around it, so it's not that unusual to do it that way, it's just that on Linux it needs to be done that way.

Native access might need a msvcp140.dll override to run.

Overrides are just real Windows dlls that replace Wines inbuilt dlls which might lack some functions.

The way to install a dll override is to copy the real Windows dll (ie msvcp140.dll) to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 and then (maybe optionally) override the dll to be native using the winecfg Libraries option (ie just type in msvcp140 in the winecfg Libraries tab and then hit Add).
molotoz

Post by molotoz »

I got this working on Debian Stretch. Steps I took

- Add KX Studio Repositories https://kx.studio/Documentation
- Install wine-rt
- Install Visual C++ redist https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... x?id=40784
- Configure Wine to use Windows 10
- Download Native Access https://www.native-instruments.com/file ... taller.zip (unpack and install with wine)
Jeff Brown
Established Member

Post by Jeff Brown »

Install Visual C++ redist
Which one? There are three options:

Code: Select all

vcredist_arm.exe (1.4 MB)
vcredist_x64.exe (6.9 MB)
vcredist_x86.exe (6.2 MB)
Wakellor
Established Member

Post by Wakellor »

ubuntuuser wrote:
Wakellor wrote:Hi,

The Windows version (in winecfg) should be Windows 7 or above and not Windows XP.

In general, Wine can't handle Windows physical/hardware device drivers because it's not Windows, so a Windows Nvidia video driver won't work with Wine and the Native Access iso mounter driver is probably similar and so it causes a crash/hang.

That means that the downloaded iso file has to be fished out of wherever Native Access downloaded it to and then manually mounted and then installed (details in one of my above posts).

After that, Native Access will think everything was installed ok when it's started up again.

Trouble with Native Access iso downloads can even happen using Windows and some Windows users do the manual iso mounting method to get around it, so it's not that unusual to do it that way, it's just that on Linux it needs to be done that way.

Native access might need a msvcp140.dll override to run.

Overrides are just real Windows dlls that replace Wines inbuilt dlls which might lack some functions.

The way to install a dll override is to copy the real Windows dll (ie msvcp140.dll) to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 and then (maybe optionally) override the dll to be native using the winecfg Libraries option (ie just type in msvcp140 in the winecfg Libraries tab and then hit Add).
Hi @ubuntuuser. Sorry I took so long to reply, but it worked fine and even though I didn't see this, I managed to work out the Windows 7 thing. Thanks for your help!

PS: Clicking "Reinstall" on a library in Native Access actually updates the vst, if anyone's curious!
Mr. Lumbergh
Established Member

Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

My apologies for digging up this old thread; I'm new to the forum and not sure yet if the preference is for a new thread or to add to existing.

Anywho, I'm running Debian Sid with Wine 5 and NA seems to run, but doesn't provide any functionality because after starting it attempts to search for updates, can't find them for some reason, and returns the error "No compatible update found....If the problem persists, please visit our website to get the latest version..." except that I'm already running 12.1.1, which is the latest according to their site.
I purchased a couple of soundbanks made for Kontakt from AudioPluginDeals that I'm trying to add, and from what I've found online NA is the only way to do it. Kontakt itself appears to run just fine in LMMS using VeSTige, though I'm not 100% sure as I haven't been able to add anything to it yet to test it.
Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so, what was the solution? Alternately, is there another way to add a soundbank to Kontakt that doesn't rely on NA?

Thanks.
I'm going to need you to go ahead, and come in on Sunday, too.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I'm a reaper/wine-staging user, with K6 running well in Ubuntu Studio 19.10
Try renaming .wine folder to something else, and do a new download and install
of wine-staging, new version is currently around 5.2 In winecfg panel, configure wine
as win 10. Then download and install the latest Native Access again.
If it's working, reinstall the latest Kontakt
and libs. Use LinVst plugin wrapper to create a Kontakt.so,
for use in linux daws, make sure the kontakt .dll and .so are in the same folder,
and the folder is in the vst scan path.

linvst downloads and docs: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst

If it still fails,

Install mfc42 and mfc42u 32bit dlls into
/home/you/.wine/drive_c/windows/syswow64

EDIT: Install the 64 bit versions of the above in /home/you/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

After renaming the wine mfc140.dll, Install the real mfc140.dll into
/home/you/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32, and use the libraries tab
in the winecfg panel, to select it as an over-ride. (just type mfc140
without the extension, into the dialog box, and click the apply button)

Do you have multiarch enabled? from the wine wiki

"On 64-bit systems you should enable a 32-bit architecture for multiarch. This is needed for running 32-bit Windows applications (many modern apps are still 32-bit), but also for large parts of the Windows subsystem itself. If in doubt, you do need it!

You can identify your architecture with the following command:

dpkg --print-architecture

E.g. for amd64 (which most users have) you need i386. Enable it with the following command:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt update
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once I get enough NI products installed, I stop all updates on wine
and NI products, just use them till your drive heads melt, and if you want more,
put them on a new linux in a fresh external drive. There's so much
going on that is so easily derailed, it's the most peaceful
and productive strategy. I think there is an ENV variable that can be set
to stop Native Access from attempting auto-updating, but I don't have
it at hand. I've seen it mentioned in the support docs on their website,
but things may have changed due to the 2019 layoffs.

You could also try the latest Ubuntu Studio, NA and NI products
are working well for me in that environment.
Cheers
Last edited by glowrak guy on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Lumbergh
Established Member

Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

glowrak guy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:24 pm I'm a reaper/wine-staging user, with K6 running well in Ubuntu Studio 19.10
of wine-staging, new version is currently around 5.2 In winecfg panel, configure wine
for use in linux daws, make sure the kontakt .dll and .so are in the same folder,

If it still fails,

"On 64-bit systems you should enable a 32-bit architecture for multiarch. This is needed for running 32-bit Windows applications (many modern apps are still 32-bit), but also for large parts of the Windows subsystem itself. If in doubt, you do need it!

E.g. for amd64 (which most users have) you need i386. Enable it with the following command:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt update"
and NI products, just use them till your drive heads melt, and if you want more,

Cheers
Hey, I wanted to say thank you for your thorough reply. I haven't gotten a chance yet to try it and likely won't this weekend, but I'll let you know. I'm actually planning on reinstalling Debian and staying on the "Stable" track. I took my install over to "Testing" track back in Novemberish thinking the latest packages would be benficial and it's worked well up until recently, but some other packages wound up broken in the last month, such as Carla.
I'll give your solution a try on the new install is my current thought.
Mr. Lumbergh
Established Member

Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

glowrak guy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:24 pm I'm a reaper/wine-staging user, with K6 running well in Ubuntu Studio 19.10

If it still fails,

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt update"

Cheers
Thanks again for your help. I was able to get it running, and Kontakt Player as a 32-bit plugin both under Carla and VeSTige. However I still can't get several of the products to install because they're shipped as an ISO, and I'm still not having any luck getting NA's ISO mounter to run; were you also able to get a solution going on that?
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Native Access can abort or crash partway through a download (because Wine can have problems mounting the downloaded iso file) but the iso file has been downloaded, so a manual mounting and install of the downloaded iso file or a manual unzipping and install of the downloaded zip file in ~/.wine/drive_c/users/user/Downloads is needed.

All NI iso files need to be mounted using udf and the unhide option (because they are dual PC/Mac iso files).

sudo mount -t udf file.iso -o unhide /mnt

run winecfg and check the Drives tab for a windows drive letter associated with /mnt

cd /mnt and run the installer (wine setup.exe)

To unmount the iso change to a drirectory away from /mnt and then sudo umount /mnt

For cd installs

sudo mount -t udf -o unhide /dev/sr0 /mnt

The winbind and libntlm0 and gnutls packages might need to be installed for net access.

Kontakt tries to install the vc redist dlls and they might not actually get installed.

To install the real vc redist dlls (in a dll override way) use winetricks vcrunxxxx.
Wakellor
Established Member

Post by Wakellor »

Hi guys,

I have a really cool update for you!
Today, I decided to change 'Native Access.exe's OS mode to 'Windows 10' in winecfg.... and... it works!

Native Access updated itself (WITHOUT CRASHING!!!) and updated all the plugins I had without crashing too... I checked the Downloads folder while the updates were downloading and the plugin/library files are no longer ISOs, but ZIPs!

It works perfectly now so no more

mount -t udf file.so -o unhide /mnt
ever again :D :D :D
Mr. Lumbergh
Established Member

Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

Wakellor wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:15 pm Hi guys,

Today, I decided to change 'Native Access.exe's OS mode to 'Windows 10' in winecfg.... and... it works!

Native Access updated itself (WITHOUT CRASHING!!!) and updated all the plugins I had without crashing too... I checked the Downloads folder while the updates were downloading and the plugin/library files are no longer ISOs, but ZIPs!

Cool, that's good news. I have a bunch of NI stuff that never gets used because I seldom boot to Windows, and I wasn't able to get it running on Debian. What version of WINE are you using?
Mr. Lumbergh
Established Member

Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

Wakellor wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:15 pm Hi guys,

I'm still getting the dreaded "Installation failed: Error while mounting disk image." I looked at my downloads and they're still coming in as iso's. :(
EDIT: Actually, some component like Kontakt 6 did upgrade without trouble, but TRK-01 Bass failed. I think maybe the iso images are still causing some grief on my system.
More work to do...