What do we have? What do we need?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Quirq
Established Member

Re: What do we have? What do we need?

Post by Quirq »

sadko4u wrote:
Quirq wrote:Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was that "musical" values aren't helpful. Having things in nice round base 10 numbers (as your analyser currently does) is what I need for my simple brain :lol:
Okay.
Quirq wrote:a slower response time as well, so that it can be smoothed a bit in time as well as in the frequency domain.
Did you try to rotate 'Reactivity' knob in LSP Spektrumanalysator?
Quirq wrote: I think as well it would be helpful to be able to control the slope, or at least have it fixed at 3.0 dB/octave, which seems to be fairly normal.
Did you try the 'Envelope' combo in LSP Spektrumanalysator? 3dB/oct (in terms of power) or 6dB/oct (in terms of amplitude) is actually the Pink noise envelope.
Quirq wrote: Also, the option to have the area under the spectrum filled in (probably less dense than the colour for the curve itself) might be helpful, though this is probably not terribly important, I just think it makes things a little easier to read.
It also makes things more CPU time to render. I can try to add it but do not guarantee that it will render quickly.
To be honest, I've not used your Spektrumanalysator :oops: I think when I was first looking at native analysers, it either wasn't around or I wasn't aware of it at that time. I'll download it now and have a play :)

Edited to add: I've downloaded your plugins and had a quick look at the Spectrum Analyser and it looks good. My main comment is that the actual graph is quite small considering the overall size of the plugin. I realise the other versions have more controls to fit in a limited space, but on the mono (which I managed to open once on the Master bus but now I can't, it crashes Ardour every time) and stereo versions the controls seem to take up a lot of room at the expense of the spectrum itself.
Last edited by Quirq on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Dammit ..
You guys come with such great ideas and toys to play with.
Now I need some time to try all this stuff.
There .. I said it, I too need more time :lol:

I'll try to recap this thread and update the first post this week.

No promises though :oops:
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Quirq wrote:Edited to add: I've downloaded your plugins and had a quick look at the Spectrum Analyser and it looks good. My main comment is that the actual graph is quite small considering the overall size of the plugin. I realise the other versions have more controls to fit in a limited space, but on the mono (which I managed to open once on the Master bus but now I can't, it crashes Ardour every time) and stereo versions the controls seem to take up a lot of room at the expense of the spectrum itself.
Do I right understand that you have cases when Spektrumanalysator crashes Ardour?
Can you provide stack trace of Ardour for the crash?
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

sadko4u wrote:Do I right understand that you have cases when Spektrumanalysator crashes Ardour?
Can you provide stack trace of Ardour for the crash?
That's right. I first inserted the x1 version on the master bus of a session to have a look. I was intrigued by the x16 version so inserted that to have a look, then removed it but was left with a multi-channel panner so I quit Ardour without saving. The session wouldn't re-open. I renamed the .bak session file to load that and tried to insert the x1 version again but this reliably crashes Ardour and I can only use the 2-channel version on the master bus now.

I'll try to get a stack trace tonight when I'm back at home.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Do we have any resonator plugins? I used to use the on in ableton live years ago to create some quite nice spring reverb sounding fx when combined with the autofilter before the input. I can't think of any linux plugins that do anything similar.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

One thing we have in at least one app that would be great as an infrastructure in LV2,
is the Rakarrack /bank/preset manager. It is incredibly handy to have a bank
of presets displayed on screen without fiddling with menus to try new sounds.
The preset and bank saving would greatly enhance usability beyond
'what we have', and be far more welcoming for curious among win/mac users
than what is the norm today.

U-he plugins also do this very nicely, but rakarrack code is presumably available,
and if it were an integral part of lv2, it might make it easier for commercial host maintainers
to consider lv2 support, as they have standards for easy customer use to consider.
I would think it also would be one less thing for lv2 app coders to deal with, once
having come to grips with it. Would surely be nice for musicians finding seeking new sounds.
Might as well be part of linux native vst also, since Steinberg has less to say about that.
Worthy of a large bounty? I think so.

A plugin loaded in wine/Reaper lets you traverse the list of an .fxb bank,
to access the first 20 or so, and scroll for more, but only as long as the preset control is selected,
so you still have to click and scroll after experimenting with any controls.
Not too bad, as you can use the arrow keys when the preset selector is closed
and a preset is highlighted, but still not the optimum.

Even the ancient Geoworks Ensemble had pinnable menus, one of the best OS features evahhh.
Cheers

(is there anything in lv2 licensing that would block it's use in commercial daws?)
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

glowrak guy wrote:It is incredibly handy to have a bank
Off-topic, but maybe someone would like to know how I usually audition Windows-based instrument plugins.

Method #1: I like to click .DLL files in the file manager so they are automatically run by dssi-vst. I have configured the file manager for that. Then I launch jack-keyboard and press Delete. Pressing Delete tells jack-keyboard to connect to the next available MIDI input, which is almost invariably the plugin I just launched. Then I press the keyboard keys so I can listen to the notes.
For browsing presets, press the / and * keys on the numeric keypad.

(Note: Openbox takes care of placing the plugin window at the center of the screen, right above jack-keyboard, which is also placed at specific x-y coordinates automatically.)

OR

Method #2: I connect a sequencer (I like Cythar) to the plugin on a patchbay such as Catia. Not so good because it requires too much mouse clicking and dragging, and I hate the mouse. :P

OR

Method #3: Load a MIDI sequence on the DAW and insert the plugin, of course. Same problem as Method #2.

I am writing this to share Method #1, because it's not so obvious and it's usually the most quick'n'dirty therefore convenient way for auditioning. Maybe it's useful to someone.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

glowrak guy wrote: (is there anything in lv2 licensing that would block it's use in commercial daws?)
Harrison's plugins are commercial and also in a commercial DAW (Mixbus & Mixbus32C). Pianoteq has (or at least had) an LV2 and is commercial and presumably used in commercial DAW's. Lastly (and sadly) linuxDSP were also commercial quite early on as LV2's and I don't recall any fuss about the 'format' being sold commercially. So unless I've misunderstood your question I don't think there is any barrier to LV2 being sold itself as a format or used in Commercial DAW's.

The sole exception may be Linuxsampler, and LV2 isn't the problem there... :roll:
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Luc wrote: I am writing this to share Method #1, because it's not so obvious and it's usually the most quick'n'dirty therefore convenient way for auditioning. Maybe it's useful to someone.
It's a great example of defining the whole OS as the daw, with instruments, plugins,
and software-defined-as-daw, as controllable parts of the fully complete system. :cool:
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

GMaq wrote:
glowrak guy wrote: So unless I've misunderstood your question I don't think there is any barrier to LV2 being sold itself as a format or used in Commercial DAW's
Right, I was just remembering the kerfuffles over Steinbergs licensing requirements for win-vst distribution,
hoping nothing similar applies that could impead LV2 support. Based on the nice lv2-->linux-vst wrapper
released earlier in the thread, I think Bitwig or Reaper should hire 'somebody' as a contractor :wink:
Cheers
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

glowrak guy wrote:One thing we have in at least one app that would be great as an infrastructure in LV2,
is the Rakarrack /bank/preset manager. It is incredibly handy to have a bank
The preset and bank saving would greatly enhance usability beyond
'what we have', and be far more welcoming for curious among win/mac users
than what is the norm today.
well, maybe not as nice, but rkrlv2 has a bunch of carla presets of the original 3 banks of presets that shipped with rakarrack. If you just open the carla file tree in the left hand side to the directory they install in (/usr/local/share/rkr.lv2/ for a local build) then you can just drag and drop them without having to deal with a file browser window. Does that help? Not all the presets work because there are various bugs in the rkr.lv2 plugins, but anything you find, please report to the bugtracker https://github.com/ssj71/rkrlv2/issues . :)
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, it's the mechanism and method used in rakarrack for displaying/browsing/saving/organizing presets/banks
that would be great in lots of other apps, like Rui's V1 Suite, Calf etc , and if possible, integrated to
be part of LV2/native vst infrastructures, so all plugins just used it.

Drag & drop is always nice, especially if the source (presets folder/list in this case) remains
open until purposely closed. But how many presets are listed in the file tree, before needing
to scroll? Can the tree be drag-widened and allow showing shorter but multiple columns instead of
one long list? Or configured to optionally open a window with scrollbars rather than a list?
U-he Hive preset engine opens one panel with preset folders on the left, chosen folder's presets in the middle,
and a comment area on the right. That's very easy to use, But the rakarrack preset panel can moved around as desired,
which I find very helpful.

amsynth also handles banks and presets very well. If it's preset panel
could be pinned open, and still allow it's arrow key functions, it would be excellent.

Lots of good coding efforts, some extra perfections, universal in the plugin formats, would make
linux audio much easier for musicians, and more inviting for developers and new users.
Cheers