What do we have? What do we need?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rghvdberg
Established Member

What do we have? What do we need?

Post by rghvdberg »

So, let's put our heads together and let's see what we come up with.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: What do we have? What do we need?

Post by rghvdberg »

We have a plenty of plug-ins, what I need is good presets for them.
Someone suggested using Limiter 6, a Windows plugin. I managed to get it working via wine / airwave. I had no idea how it worked but there were several presets.
I put it an a kick with preset 'kick' .. and sounded great.
I'm 100% sure the same results can be achieved with Linux plugins if only there were some good generic presets for the plugins.
The lsp plugins look very promising, a nice repo with (user made) presets would be cool.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

Agreed,

I think it's awesome we have places that archive presets for plugins and standalone applications but personally when I fire up a new plugin in a DAW I really don't want to remember the web address of the site that has presets, I just want them in the plugin. This is improving and there are cases like amsynth where the developer has included large numbers of user (briandc) presets, Helm for instance has a lot of good ones pre-installed and some of the new Ardour Team "a" plugins have a few really good presets. On the other hand for EQ's, compressors, reverbs and other effects I'd rather have 10-15 presets that absolutely kill than 100 that are minor variations of each other (Synths are a bit different because there are so many potential sounds).
Last edited by GMaq on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

rghvdberg wrote:The lsp plugins look very promising, a nice repo with (user made) presets would be cool.
Also I'll notice that LSP plugins allow to export configuration of plugin in simple plain text format that is portable between VST, LV2 and JACK versions. I think, sharing presets in this format would be nice.

UPD
If you can provide presets for plugins, I think, I can provide additional build with presets that every can download and use.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

sadko4u wrote:
rghvdberg wrote:The lsp plugins look very promising, a nice repo with (user made) presets would be cool.
Also I'll notice that LSP plugins allow to export configuration of plugin in simple plain text format that is portable between VST, LV2 and JACK versions. I think, sharing presets in this format would be nice.

UPD
If you can provide presets for plugins, I think, I can provide additional build with presets that every can download and use.
Excellent!
I'll try to recreate these recipes to lsp. I've found them very useful as a starting point.
http://www.benvesco.com/blog/category/compression/
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

We need a step sequencer plugin , with flexible meters and time division, lv2 or vst, to be loaded in Ardour or Qtractor as a midi device.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

GMaq wrote:Hi!
.. personally when I fire up a new plugin in a DAW I really don't want to remember the web address of the site that has presets, I just want them in the plugincause there are so many potential sounds)...
Agreed that's what I meant in the first place.
Surely there must be a way to package user presets, have them installed (by deb/rpm/AUR) and the presets would show up automagically in the plugin?
Gmaq wrote: ... On the other hand for EQ's, compressors, reverbs and other effects I'd rather have 10-15 presets that absolutely kill than 100 that are minor variations of each other ...
Again, this is precisely what I'm looking for, some generic (but good) EQ/Compression presets for kick, snare, bass, drum bus, some 'glue' type compressor preset.
Also generic channel EQ presets, Reaper has some nice ones.

Maybe even Ardour / Qtractor templates for different types of music, preloaded with EQ / Compression plug-ins, labelled tracks etc, etc.
We can discus about which plugins should actually be used ; probably the ones with the best presets ;-)

Let's make things nice, easy and comfortable for the users.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

For EDM a lot of mac/win users seem to use OTT by XFer.
https://xferrecords.com/freeware/
OTT stands for Over The Top. As far as I've figured out it's an extreme upward/downward compressor.

What current plugin do we have that would do something similar?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

stanlea wrote:We need a step sequencer plugin , with flexible meters and time division, lv2 or vst, to be loaded in Ardour or Qtractor as a midi device.
1st thought : why ? A sequencer in a sequencer ... sequenception :wink:
After some Googling I see that would indeed be a good and useful addition to our arsenal.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I have yet to find a pitch shift plug in that sounds realistic
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

stanlea wrote:We need a step sequencer plugin , with flexible meters and time division, lv2 or vst, to be loaded in Ardour or Qtractor as a midi device.
Like this?
http://b-step.monoplugs.com/
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

rghvdberg wrote:For EDM a lot of mac/win users seem to use OTT by XFer.
https://xferrecords.com/freeware/
OTT stands for Over The Top. As far as I've figured out it's an extreme upward/downward compressor.

What current plugin do we have that would do something similar?
What means 'extreme upward/downward' compressor?
LSP Kompressor allows to work in upward/downward mode or apply parallel compression. Also you may use feed-forward and feed-back sidechain. Maybe you can repeat the functionality of this one with LSP.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I would agree with saturation, tramp did a nice one recently but something a little more detailed would be nice. Pretty much every plugin by Variety of Sound is an area lacking in linux. Their reverb, delay and saturation plugins are just perfect.

Also agree with the point about presets. I've never understood why there are almost never any included with plugins. It's a pity because they can really show what a plugin can do. I would love to see some classic hardware compressor emulation presets in the plugins that are capable of doing that.

I was playing with fabfilter's Pro-MB the other day, I can't think of any plugins in linux that can do the same kind of thing.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

sysrqer wrote:I was playing with fabfilter's Pro-MB the other day, I can't think of any plugins in linux that can do the same kind of thing.
I also thought that non-crossover multiband compressor is lacking linux audio. Crossovers do phase distortion at split points. Instead of this multiband compressor could be implemented as N-band equalizer with dynamically changing gain for each band where the gain is controlled as compression gain.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That sounds excellent sadko4u, that's actually what I had in mind, I don't think there is anything like that for us.